Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 8:10pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Definition of MA Style

Because of a project I'm working on, I'm trying to define what a martial arts style is.

Is this a good definition, "As a master perfects a style he adds techniques to his liking and deletes those that are incompatible."

I was thinking the techniques should also exhibit common principles for the selection to be considered a style. Does anyone have a better definition?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 8:52pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    Because of a project I'm working on, I'm trying to define what a martial arts style is.

Is this a good definition, "As a master perfects a style he adds techniques to his liking and deletes those that are incompatible."

I was thinking the techniques should also exhibit common principles for the selection to be considered a style. Does anyone have a better definition?
    Maybe "builds", "establishes", or "develops" as opposed to "perfects". Most masters IMO seem to often with humility (whether real or feigned) suggest the whole journey thing, i.e the art/style is never "perfected" - their lives are spent in making it better

"common principles" or in their execution exhibit an underlying physical style and similarity

VILLOGE IDIAT

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 8:55pm

Style: Looking Now

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bohemian quest

Bohemian a person, as an artist or writer, who lives and acts free of regard for conventional rules and practices.

quest a search or pursuit made in order to find or obtain something

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 10:07pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Somehow I knew you would show up. Thats not a good thing.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 10:08pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wouldnt it be better to say,
    That once a master perfects his particular "Art" then he adds techniques to his liking and removes the ones he doesnt.
    I agree that the tech selection should have common principles so they fit better into the definition of "style"

This would be more of Martial Art Style.

Am I making sense here? It seems like it but Im not sure.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 10:09pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MARTIALSTUDANT
    Bohemian quest

Bohemian a person, as an artist or writer, who lives and acts free of regard for conventional rules and practices.

quest a search or pursuit made in order to find or obtain something
    What does this mean? Can she be banned? Please...pretty please?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 11:06pm

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martial arts style (n).: a pedagogy designed to allow an instructor to train students to fight effectively within a given sociocultural context, usually taking into account specific theories of tactics and effective human movement.

----
    This definition should cover all bases, irrespective of:
    a) "fighter" vs "style"
    b) "military" vs "self-defense/sport"
    c) "training for combat" vs "training for ancillary benefits"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 11:08pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think a style is as represented by the fighting style of its founder.

Meaning the techniques that the founder tends to gravitate when he spars form the basis of his style.

The techniques in the style may or may not share a common theme. But are taught as one entity with a distinct strategy, rather than trained seperately based on the techniques common principle.

For example, the difference between judo and bjj is on their differing strategy/focus rather than on their repertoires of techniques making it two different and distinct styles rather than a collection of the same techniques taught under 2 different name.

While muay thai might employ different techniques that differ in theme but are taught as a cohesive whole. A sweep in clinch as opposed to a roundhouse kick. For example.

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    10/07/2006 8:16am

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I can't remember if it's in his standard stuff on Aliveness, but Matt Thornton has some decent thoughts on this issue.

I'll type it out from the magazine if you're not familiar with it/can't find it.