Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 4:15pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thehorned1
    Who cares what you call it? Sport/Art, whatever, if you learn to kick ass that = good. Does it matter whether you call a Jaffa Cake a Cake or a Biscuit? It still tastes nice whatever you call it. Names/Definitions not as important as results.
    Good point. I think the reason that this is so fiercely debated by some people is that it seems the term "martial sport" has come to be applied as a derogatory term to competing martial arts such as boxing, Judo, MMA, etc. as a way of cutting them off from the realm of "true" (i.e. non-competing, often non-sparring) martial arts.

This definition and its unpleasant connotations are not universal by any means and are in fact just some stuff I threw together just now, but I think that that is the real issue slithering under this debate and I for one am inclined to defend my precious boxing against such ridiculous attacks as this one.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 4:18pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it funny how people always bring up the fact that there is a ref in sports.

Hint: The ref is there to protect the loser. i dont know about anyone else, but I usually go in with the intent of winning. The ref is there to protect my opponent as far as I'm concerned.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 4:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thehorned1
    Who cares what you call it? Sport/Art, whatever, if you learn to kick ass that = good. Does it matter whether you call a Jaffa Cake a Cake or a Biscuit? It still tastes nice whatever you call it. Names/Definitions not as important as results.
    True, though this whole discussion is really about idiots like MARTIALSTUDENT who feel the need to poo poo the training of competitive athletes by saying it's "just a sport". I am perfectly content with the labels sport fighter, combat athlete, amateur fighter, or just plain kickboxer, but it is just plain stupidity that a martial LARPist try and tell me what I'm doing isn't a martial art.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 4:45pm

Style: Muay thai - Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martial arts, as the definition of both words says, are skills you learn to make you a better fighter/soldier or whatever, so what better way to improve yourself than practicing your skills in a sport environment, where you won't get serious to lethal injuries? And in an alive way (aka Full contact)?

I also find it funny how people always have to say that "their skills are too deadly for the ring" and don't sparr at all. In everything that requires some sort of skills (not only sports, things that require you to think like maths for example), you ALWAYS have to practice what you learn, from the calculations to how to pass the opposing team's defense in basketball, you won't be able to use them in a match for example, if you don't practice them against someone else who will oppose some resistance.

But in martial arts, probably because of the mentalities, it's different. You can suddenly be the best fighter in the world because you've learned x kata/forms or y techniques without having fought a single time. I really wonder how people can believe in that crap, seriously, it's like brainwashing for me, people can really be stupid when they believe in something. Sorry but I had to say that.

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 4:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first person to say "I do a Martial sport" to my face is getting KTFO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 5:45pm

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    martial art and martial sport are the same thing. if your martial art has competitions, any physical competition i'd like to consider a sport. the *art* in martial art doesnt mean flowerly kata's, while pretty, im afraid thats not what there going for.

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 6:56pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is a "village idiat"?

Judo: the anti-trapple

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 7:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MARTIALSTUDANT
    Martial sports are non lethal techniques used to win a trophy, Martial sports are a hobby or a job. Martial arts are lethal techniques which are meant to kill weather...
    If you know any techniques that kill rain I could really use your help, I need to re-roof my shed this weekend.

Thanks, Oscar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur AMP
    You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 7:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MARTIALSTUDANT

http://www.tacticalshooting.com/tsa/

Tactical shooting is a sport. They have contests and competitions where contestants score points. Do you honestly contend that this sport has no application to self defense or war, simply on the basis that it is a sporting competition with rules and judges?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 7:55pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey! Judo has fancy wierdass gun/knife disarm katas AND sparring.

This is just how awesome Judo is.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast