Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 1:40pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Most useful knife hand technique?

I was working on the focus mitts with one of my friends recently who once took a karate class. While he doesn't think that the class was practical enough for him to apply most techniques, he has come away with one or two that he still likes, namely a certain knife hand strike which is very impressive.

The technique he showed me involves holding you striking hand in front of your face in a position kinda like a very low salute, and then rotating it downward so that it ends with your arm extended and the palm facing upward, you strike your opponent with the edge of your hand at the heel. In order to get power into the move, it's important to whip your arm and twist your hips into it as with a hook or similar technique.

I know, it sounds stupid, but I had him do it to the focus mitt and it was very powerful, and was hurting my hand through the mitt (which hooks did not). I was impressed with the power of the move. Unfortunately it is a bit telegraphed and easier to block than a hook, but it can be added on to a 1-2-3 combo very smoothly with a bit of practice, replacing the hook. It seems like a very circumstancial move but it opened my eyes to the possible usefulness of knife hand attacks. (and I am normally the most gung-ho boxing enthusiast around, straight out of some old-timey english self-defense book from 1801).

Anyway, the knife hand I describe can be "trimmed down" to fit into a boxing stance (less rigid hand positions, KEEPING YOUR GUARD UP throughout, etc.) and added into combos (although it is hard to combo off this move). My question is; does anyone with more experience have other knife-hand techniques that are USEFUL (i.e. better at least one way than an equivalent punch) or advice on when/ how to throw knife hands in a fight?

P.S: info on ridge hands is welcome also. And spear hands, if you can give me a use that isn't going to cripple me when I try it. (I hate spear hands)

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 1:54pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    knife hands and ridge hands are ideal for fucking up your wrists in ways that straight punches can only dream of.

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 2:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    knife hands and ridge hands are ideal for fucking up your wrists in ways that straight punches can only dream of.
    I'll keep that in mind ; )

Are you saying that I might not want to work the occasional knife hand into my heavy bag and focus mitt/thai pad workouts?

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 2:50pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo Chop. End of thread.

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 3:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Judo Chop. End of thread.
    My friend is a Judo BB and he gets screaming mad when he watches Austin Powers. He looks for someone or something to Osoto-Geri when he hears "Judo Chop" or "Judo Kick". He once did a takedown on me with his knee on my 'nads because I said that to him (well, that and we were actually having a wrestling match, *cough*)_

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 5:44pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reason?

Because he doesn't want the secret to get out. It was pretty lame of them to out this stuff in Austin Powers. Now almost everybody knows it. No more super secret weapon.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 6:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was it something like this?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2006 12:22am

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingPower

We call this yokomen-uchi in Yoshinkan aikido term. The strike is aimed at temple or neck.

Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    Pauli, why do you say this? Could you explain why? Thank you. In my experience, I have hurt my wrist when I do mune tsuki (front thrust punch), but never when I do these ridge hand nor knife hand strikes.

GMW.

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 12:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingPower

Why yes, I think that's the one. Except my friend is three dimensional and he has more than two colours.

EDIT: And he also has legs.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 8:33am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shuto gammen uchi is what we call it. It's decent, it can hit pretty hard. I like shuto uchi uchi myself.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast