Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2006 10:00pm

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    yeah but it isnt "just" a roundhouse its quite obviously a variation. thats like saying its "just" a hook when you are talking about a shovel hook.
    Well, that's twice in a row I agree with Alex. Guess I owe you a beer.
    Those angulation differences are important. The guy in the tutorial throws it with absolutely no torsion in his body, meaning that he has a wide recovery with a long body lean. Also, he enters the technique with a backwards lean of the body. All of that stuff makes a big difference.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/20/2006 11:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingPower
    We were messing around with this today, and it's a sneaky little fucker. I can definitely see it being useful if you get really good at it. Any other Kyokushin guys on here use this or try it out?

(Here's a little tutorial I found on Youtube, for those of you who are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUlUv0WhDcg )
    I first learned this in Kajukenbo - it's called nidan mawashigeri in Kyokushin- and it differs from the downward striking kick that Feitosa uses. I think some KK dojos teach the downward angle and I'd bet that it was picked up from the MT guys in the fifties. KK I've seen though, only seems to use the downward angle roundhouse to low targets, like the Thais do, to the thigh. But then I never saw axe kicks in KK until I saw Andy Hug. It really depends on what your Shihan/Sensei likes and uses.

Anyhoo, I love nidan mawashigeri and not to boast, but mine doth rock. The key is flipping the hips, IMHO. I come up with a hard front and if they don't block, there's a chance to hit them in the groin or stomach (actually that bs because with a little hip thrust I can kick to the face), but if they seem to be going for the block, or just using it as a fake to keep them confused, then flip the hips and crack the face. It helps to hit the big bag to get some power off this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    go and tell glaube feitosa that

or the numerous people who hes KOed with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-mnpo4RYZs
    Thank you for linking that vid - what a great kicker! Feiosa's now going to be sent to my bb buddies to study. I want to use this high downward to the neck/chin in class.

And to the tight ones out there who don't think they can do this, what has worked for me is to kick the heavy bag as hard and as high as I can - doing the kicks is all it has taken to keep 'em high - I hardly bother to stretch any more and I can kick high ok.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 10/20/2006 11:48pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 2:43pm

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm tight as hell and I can throw this. It doesn't depend on flexibility: it depends on body position. In fact, I can throw this more reliably than I can doing it like a "standard" head-shot.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789