Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 4:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pierced ears?

So on a whim, while Kat and myself were at the mall today we decided to get our ears pierced for the first time ever. Now it didn't occur to me until afterwards that getting our ears pierced might interfere with this whole kickboxing thing. So my question, for any folks here who've had their ears pierced since they've been training, how did having pierced ears interfere with your training/how did you get around it/how did you continue sparring etc. ?

HELPFUL feedback would be appreciated.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 4:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    take them out when you spar or you will regret it. id be surprised if your coach didnt make you take them out anyway

edit- i dont have pierced ears because im not a SISSYMAN but this is what ive observed

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 4:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The lady tells us not to take them out for 6 weeks, but I want to know from people who've actually had this done how they got around that.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 4:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Had some when I was a rebellious punk.

Took them out years ago.

Seen a few too many get ripped out in mosh pits. (it was the early '90s. Stop laughing.)

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 4:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had my second and third done when I was in the navy. I used to put a small piece of plastic tube in the holes when I was on the boat, to keep the holes open when I couldn't have the studs in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 4:54pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a pretty standard rule as far as sparring at our dojang goes. Ear rings need to be taken out. One good hit, and you can end up with the stud cutting your neck behind your ear. Going for the clinch, or just some random movement could end up with the jewelry getting snagged, which could lead to it getting ripped out.

It's kind of like how roller coasters with head restraints make you take your ear rings out as well.

For people who just got their ears pierced, removing them may not be an option. If this is the case, put a band-aid over the peircing so it wraps around both sides. Spar only light contact if you can.

Honey Badger's idea sounds like it has some merit.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 5:05pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Girls, if you removed them out right now, the piercing hole in your earlobes may close. That's why it's recommended not to removed them until a few weeks later. That allows proper healing. If you take them out when the piercing is still, you may not be able to put them back on later... not without excessive bleeding and potential infection... I've seen it :tongue6:

I'd wait at least a week before taking them out if I were you.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 5:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    So on a whim, while Kat and myself were at the mall today we decided to get our ears pierced for the first time ever. Now it didn't occur to me until afterwards that getting our ears pierced might interfere with this whole kickboxing thing. So my question, for any folks here who've had their ears pierced since they've been training, how did having pierced ears interfere with your training/how did you get around it/how did you continue sparring etc. ?

HELPFUL feedback would be appreciated.

Ugh!

Look at it this way: You have an open sore on the inside of your earlobe. It needs time to heal. However, the more you take the piercing stud in and out and/or rotate it (it is a legit surgical stainless, niobium or titanium stud, right?), the more you are exposing that little lesion to the possibility of infection by pushing bacteria into the cut.

Also, if you get the idea of religious cleaning, keep in mind the more antiseptic you use, the longer it will take to heal because it will also breakdown the healing tissue.

All in all, you guys really had a horrible 'D'OH!' moment by not considering the ramifications to your training . Planning accordingly for some downtime beforehand might have helped.

If you want to keep the pierced ears, your best bet is to not spar and stick to conditioning for the necessary time it will take to heal. Only then you can you starting pulling the stud out and putting it back without potential for complications.

Please tell me at least it was done by a piercing professional and not by one of the piercing gun wielders.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 10/05/2006 5:08pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 5:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol, it was done at a jewelry store in the mall. If it comes right down to it, we'll likely just ditch the pierced ears. As far as I'm concerned, training is more important than having shiny metal things in my ears.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 5:16pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't ditch them just yet :) Just take a week off. After that, see if it's healed enough to allow their removal.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast