Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 8:46am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muay Thai Sparring Thread

Hi
    I thought of starting this thread to discuss muay thai sparring issues, questions, tips, etc.

My first question, how much time does your muay thai coach devote to sparring, as a percentage of lesson time each week?

Mine is mostly spent doing padwork and bagwork, I'd really like to do more sparring, but before I approach my coach to ask for more sparring time, I will like to know how it's like in other schools.

Thanks!

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 10:12am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You really need to explore the search function. I'll let a few more people mock you before I lock this thread though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 12:17pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    RTFA!!!! SEARCH function, n00b!

In all seriousness, I'm a MT coach. Our classes are 1 hour long. After class each is over, we allow whoever wants to get into the ring and spar. Sometimes we good group of guys who get in there and bang for a few rounds, and other times no one takes advantage of it. We also reserve some class time for light contact sparring drills.....

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 1:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Manu basically enforces that everyone in the class spar for about 5 or 6x 3 minute rounds at the end of class unless they've got some injury. On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays Manu will come in for people who want to spar 1.5-2.5 hours (unless we're training for a fight, then a large portion of that time will be spent doing specific fight training stuff). Me and Kat will often come in early and spar for about an hour and a half after doing a few rounds of padwork and go home when class starts, though.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    our fighter class is usually 45 minutes or so sparring, then 20 minutes or so clinch sparring. we do that twice a week on tuesday/thursday, and boxing sparring on monday. a few of us go to our city gym on fridays to spar as well.
    Last edited by alex; 10/05/2006 3:31pm at .

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 9:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Manu basically enforces that everyone in the class spar for about 5 or 6x 3 minute rounds at the end of class unless they've got some injury. On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays Manu will come in for people who want to spar 1.5-2.5 hours (unless we're training for a fight, then a large portion of that time will be spent doing specific fight training stuff). Me and Kat will often come in early and spar for about an hour and a half after doing a few rounds of padwork and go home when class starts, though.
    5 - 6 3 min rounds? I better talk to my coach!

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 9:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    our fighter class is usually 45 minutes or so sparring, then 20 minutes or so clinch sparring. we do that twice a week on tuesday/thursday, and boxing sparring on monday. a few of us go to our city gym on fridays to spar as well.
    Sounds like I'm doing waay too little sparring in MT class compared to MMA class.....thanks for the sharing man!

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 9:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khun Kao
    RTFA!!!! SEARCH function, n00b!

In all seriousness, I'm a MT coach. Our classes are 1 hour long. After class each is over, we allow whoever wants to get into the ring and spar. Sometimes we good group of guys who get in there and bang for a few rounds, and other times no one takes advantage of it. We also reserve some class time for light contact sparring drills.....
    Ok thanks! You're a coach? That explains it, I thought your explaination of the various punching techniques was very good in the other thread...

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 9:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    5 - 6 3 min rounds? I better talk to my coach!
    Manu is very adamant about having people spar, even complete beginners. When I was training back in Madison, Wisconsin I only sparred 2x 2 minute rounds once a week.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 10:01pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PPlate... yeah, I'm a coach. Glad you liked the punch stuff.

As I'm sure you see, most of our gyms spar often, though the intensity and amount varies. In my gym, sparring is voluntary in most instances unless you are looking to fight, then it becomes mandatory with a MINIMUM of 3 x 2-min rounds each training session. Often more....
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast