Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 10:00am

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome, a technique I can apply in no-gi classes. The problem is I'm usually the turtle. Also, I was the victim of a guard pass that ended up in that same arm trapped side control. It does indeed suck to worry about freeing that arm and escaping side mount (I used the 100% effective "three-tap" escape once the pressure was put on, though).

These are excellent techniques you're posting Aeso!
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 10:01am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a very tight turtle (wait, that came out wrong) due to wrestling. I bring my elbows in as tight as possible and my butt is on my flattened heels. Basically I ball up as tight as I can. One way I consistently frustrate my opponents when they raise up to insert their hook is to catch their foot with one hand. Note if you do this before they raise up, you deserve to get choked. After grabbing the hook with my hand I treat it like a single leg.

My point is that turtle attacks like the one demo'd in this thread are very effective in breaking down a wrestlers base while he is turtled. Edit: I say this because I can't avoid being broken down when my opponent uses these type of techniques.

I have a favorite turtle breakdown that leads directly to the twister, but I don't have time to describe it now. If anyone is interested I will add it to my growing list of techniques I need to post.
    Last edited by jnp; 10/05/2006 10:06am at . Reason: I'm slow
    Shut the hell up and train.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 10:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    you need to do a thread like this addressing the judo-rediculous flat turtle. (grab own collar, lay flat on tummy, Y your legs out)

Besides just building my deadlift up to Djimbesque proportions so I can just lift and ippon anyone doing this, that is.
    Grab their belt and jerk their ass up, then stick your heel under their hip, makes a nice gap that you can use to hook an arm. Sometimes.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 10:10am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tim added this to the description:

Off referee's position it's advisable to use the knee behind the butt to BUMP (HARD KNEE IN BUTT DRIVING FORWARD) to better break your opponent down. However, chopping the arm and bump should be done dynamically and simultaneously for optimal outcome. This is a very attainable position.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 10:25am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    you need to do a thread like this addressing the judo-rediculous flat turtle. (grab own collar, lay flat on tummy, Y your legs out)
    Oh, yes. Please do.
    I started doing some judo a couple of weeks ago, and this frustrates me to no end.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 11:35am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjelva
    Oh, yes. Please do.
    I started doing some judo a couple of weeks ago, and this frustrates me to no end.
    If you can just grab the back of the collar around the neck just a bit, pull it up to see you can stick your fingers in. With fingers in, let go of the grip and push your hand down, sliding your fingers the ridge of your hand is at his throat (ideally until you can grab the other side of his lapel). Choke will follow. I can't get that right since I'm too slow and clumsy, but I've seen it done against that kind of defense (grabbing own collar.)

Pull and then dig the hand. Pull and dig.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 12:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That works better if you stick your thumb knuckle behind the earlobe (lol pressure point) and grind it down their jawline. Not very nice though.

I'm sure Aeso can work some Jiu-Jitsu magic and produce a more elegant solution, the beautiful nutriding bastard.
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 10/05/2006 12:13pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 12:11pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just ride them like a surf board.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 12:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cowboy ride until they open up their neck or their hips.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 12:46pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar Wong
    Awesome, a technique I can apply in no-gi classes. The problem is I'm usually the turtle. Also, I was the victim of a guard pass that ended up in that same arm trapped side control. It does indeed suck to worry about freeing that arm and escaping side mount (I used the 100% effective "three-tap" escape once the pressure was put on, though).

These are excellent techniques you're posting Aeso!
    I find myself in the turtle position a lot. Try this out:

http://www.groundfighter.com/details/prodid/204.html

It's The Turtle and Octopus Guard by Eduardo Telles. I'm not sure there is a review on this site or not. I haven't purchased it yet so I can't really review it myself. There are some videos of techniques that you can download. The cool thing is that you can do them no-gi or adjust them very slightly to work with no-gi. I've personally tried out one of the sweeps and showed them to my sparring buddies and told them where I got them. They have helped by giving me another option I can use while turtled up. The moves has also given me an awareness to being sweapt while trying to attack a turtled opponent and has saved my butt because of it.

I hope this helps you out.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast