Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 10:15am

Style: Shotokan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    Also Elky that second gif is staged and the first one looks more like kyokushin.
    I agree with your critique of WKF kumite, I don't agree with the above bit.

I've seen the footage of the competitions that those clips were taken from and they're both shobu ippon kumite (i.e. one point fighting) matches from the '80s featuring shotokan person Frank Brennan. I think they're from the top video here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 10:37am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's funny is I used to think old-school WTF-style TKD sparring was far superior to crappy NASKA-style point sparring because it was continuous and full-power, albeit limited rules (no low kicks, no head/face punches, limited clinch-work, but basically anything else went)...and to be honest, it WAS...training in that for years has helped me greatly in Muay Thai because I have decent footowork, the kicks transtioned nicely, I just needed to clean up my stance and learn to keep my hands up!

Anyways, I've recently been summoned by an old friend to help him train for a WTF-TKD tournament and I was APPALLED at how it's literally devolved into basically point sparring; immediate breaks from clinches (which disallowed any sort of pummelling to make space for a close-range kick), very short combinations, slappy/tappy kicks focusing on speed, and the "fighters" constantly just checking the score-board and waiting for breaks after immediate clinches off a "score"...this overall led to far less counter fighting and the certain amount of "aliveness" that WTF-style used to be...

I was asked to corner judge a couple matches and the coaches and fighters were getting pissed at me because I judged so conservatively...unless I saw a clear hit that literally knocked the other fighter back or made him have to shake his head to get cobwebs out, I didn't score it...

So yeah...after my latest experience with TKD, I've futher realized why I'm done with it...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 10:54am

Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    The back and forth bouncing in goju is a in and out (boxing esque) movement so that you can get in and get away quickly, the difference with TKD is that they bounce up and down which I don't know why.
    I'm not a great TKDer but I've been training for a few year. I used to bounce for no reason at all and the instructors pushed it like cray... but I think it more of a training method to make sure you stay on your toes so you can move quickly, and after you move, counter attack.

They just ingrane it into you so it becomes second nature anbd you don't get caught flat footed.

My understanding at the moment at least...

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 12:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I stand corrected Elky.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 12:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    I'm just going by what I see in most, if not all WKF sparring videos. Also the footwork is not boxing-esque. Here's an example of boxing footwork:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KYGFawp14c
    Boxing-esque because Gogen Yamaguchi - the father of Japanese Goju was influenced by western boxing and changed the footwork from the more traditional okinawan static stance to a more free flowing movement. It's still Karate though and has a wider stance than a boxer would to able throw kicks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 2:04pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see no benefit to point sparring. It teaches and reinforces bad habits. If you're going to do "full-contact point sparring," then you might as well remove all the arbitirary crap and make it full-contact real sparring.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 2:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First vid is definitely better than the second...the second makes my eyes bleed.

I honestly did not understand the "scoring" in the first one though. Did the guy on the right get points for his takedowns? A few were pretty good. Also, the most redeeming part of the first vid is the apparent heel hook attempt by the guy on the ground at @ 2:40.

BJJ FTW BITCHES!!!!!!!!...oh...wait, that guy lost. Crap.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123