Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 3:53pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

starting highschool wrestling

Hey, I need some help. I decided to take up highschool wrestling both to compliment my BJJ grappling and to not go through highschool without playing one varsity sport. Unfortunately there is a problem, namely this is the first time I'm trying out and I'm in Grade 12 going up against guys who have been doing the sport since grade 9. Here are the facts:
    -I'm not without combat experience I have a total of 1 year Karate experience, 0.5 year Akido experience, 2.5 years Fang Shen Do (I KNOW OK!!!!!) and I just started BJJ 3 months ago
    -I'm very strong for my weight and am an active bodybuilder
    -I'm very flexible
    -However, I know precicely **** all about olympic freestyle or greco (I'm not even sure which one they do in highschool)

What I'm asking is a)what do wrestling tryouts traditionally entail? and b) how should I be preparing, they are 2 weeks away

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 3:56pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They don't do freestyle *or* greco in highschool. They do folkstyle/highschool style.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 5:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rent "Reversal" from Netflix and ignore all the stuff about pulling weight. The conditiong is pretty tough. I'm sure the average high school isn't as tough as schools that feed into Iowa State.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 5:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck and remember not to choke anyone out.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 4:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosexmachina
    Good luck and remember not to choke anyone out.
    Thanks that is something I already knew but what about armbars, kimura, americana, heelhooks, ankle lock submissions, bicep slicer etc. are ANY of these legal. I know farmer burns used the toe hold all the time, can you still do that?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 5:58pm

Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    all of those are "potentially dangerous" and cannot be used. you need to learn a few good take downs and how to sprawl well. you need to learn a cradle or 2, and half nelson. work from the back is the same. get your hooks in. from there you have a dozen or so pinning combinations. in wrestling you will also get penalized for stalling, so you need to keep active. i think you are not going to gain much skill from wrestling to help you with jits training one season. i did about 10 years of wrestling before jits. this taught me good balance, take downs, take down defence and good spatial skills. usally u dont hvae to try out. u make the team no matter what. whether you get to start or not is diffrent. you may be like 5th string.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 9:01pm

Style: Wrestling, Sub Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Show up and start practicing. There will be other people there who have never wrestled before, even if there are in grade 9. They should explain the rules and teach the basics at least for the begining of the season. Sometime before the first meet or tournament, unless you team reeks of politics, you will have wrestle offs. A wrestle off means that everybody at a certain weight wrestles in a mini-tournament, where the winner becomes the startinv varsity wrestler for that spot. The finals are usually a best two out of three, and often times a returning varsity wrestler will get a bye into the finals.
    If you don't end up starting, don't get discouraged. There is a lot you can learn on JV, especially if you've never wrestled before, and the competition is not nearly as tough. During the season if you think you have improved enough to beat the starting wrestler at your weight class you can usually challenge him at the begining of the week. You may have to beat him twice though, since he is starting it sometimes counts as him having already won the first of the three match series. Your coach should have more information about how your wrestle offs will go, but this is usually the format.
    Out of curiosity, what state are you wrestling in?

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 10:22pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    #1 order of business will be learning the proper method of oil checking. It will become a primary tool.

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 10:39pm

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Skip rope, and run thats wehre you'll spend a fair amount of time at the begining.
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 12:46am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sprawl, sprawl, sprawl
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast