Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 2:51pm

Style: Jiu-Jitsu, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    Please don't take this initial thread as a bad thing. Keep in mind this board is pretty critical and you need to spend a little time to prove your worth. I guess that goes hand in hand with an anonymous board. It will get better, trust me.
    Thanks TKD :) I understand you must get alot of crack pots in here spouting their crap to the masses, so thanks for posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    The sad thing with TKD is that 15 years ago I would have been able to tell you if the guy was good, who he trained with and where he was from. I would also be able to guarantee that depending on which organization he was from he'd most likely know who I am.

Today, this isn't the case. Just as BJJ is starting to show, there are red belts who leave Korea only to land in NA as black belts. It happens. I'm not saying this guy isn't legit, I honestly don't know.

TKD
    Well thanks for giving it some thought. He said he had trained for 30+ years or some such, so if you didn't recognize the name, he's either a liar or under the radar. Either way I didn't think much of his training at all and I'm glad I moved on.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 3:02pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_990
    Thanks TKD :) I understand you must get alot of crack pots in here spouting their crap to the masses, so thanks for posting this.

Well thanks for giving it some thought. He said he had trained for 30+ years or some such, so if you didn't recognize the name, he's either a liar or under the radar. Either way I didn't think much of his training at all and I'm glad I moved on.
    I've posted this before but I've been very lucky in my TKD career to have trained with the people I have. Back in the day it was not unheard of to have Park Jung Tae (Gen Choi's buddy) teach a class here and there. I had the pleasure of training with Park a few dozen times before he died and that was a great experience.

I had also trained with Gen Choi when I was ITF. He was 'interesting' to say the least but his insights where very good.

In the end GM PArk was the one who was innovating within TKD and his leadership led to the creation of the now defunct GTF (Global ) and changes to sparring that were designed to keep the sport evolving.

I wouldn't say I'm the expert on who's who in TKD but Canada had a great scene back in the 80-90s and a lot of the top coaches and GMs where living here. I always wonder about a guy who claims to be a student of GChoi but is unaware of some of the other greats that were maybe less known but in Canada at the same time.

TKD

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 3:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that was one of the things that really made me wonder. It makes me really think how vallid someone's claims are when they said that they were training with one of the founders of a style.

How was General Choi 'interesting'?

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 10:24am

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_990
    How was General Choi 'interesting'?

When I first met him back in the '80s he was very much about rank and order and structure. He had a whole little posse of BBs that would follow him around and depending on where he was visiting would have the local big wigs in his group as well. If a BB had a question for him he'd have to ask his senior who would in turn ask his senior and so on until it got to Gen CHoi. I guess the old military man in him was alive and well.

Later when I met him again in the 90s he has substantially mellowed and was talking with kids and asking red belts and blue belts questions and the whole deal. And yet every now and then (and this was just over a weekend) he'd revert back to the military man and want the structure.

I wouldn't say I learnt the most at his seminars or classes but it was always worth the time to sit and listen to him.

TKD

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 6:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained under Sam Soo Han about 25 years ago in Winnipeg, Canada. His credentials sound about right. He took over a school for Park Jung Tae for about 5 years. He was one of Parks top students and he did train under General Choi.

He left Winnipeg with very little notice. Apparently he was not good with money and did not pay his bills. He was a nice fella and a good instrictor at the time but I question his business ethics.

I now train in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu but I have wondered whatever became of Master Han. That story sounds about right. Why did you not just put a stop payment on the checks? Had you signed a contract? Just curious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2007 12:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Baddog...

Yeah, from what I understand these days, after his initial set up in a dedicated gym he has moved on to (down to?) a middle school gymnasium.

I've heard rumours of him being bad with money as well, and I could totally see him skipping town due to it. I'm wondering if that's one reason he left the dedicated gym and went to the school...

As for the cheques I thought about the stop payment and looked into it but the banks wanted to know what day he'd cash them for some bizzare reason. I just figured it was best to just let them ride out as I only had a few months to go, and did make the mistake of signing a contract... I just wanted to move on to my Jiu-Jitsu / MMA classes and put the whole TKD thing behind me.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234