Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 1:51pm

Style: Jiu-Jitsu, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Life Tae Kwon Do - Bullshido?

A little over a year ago I won a free month of training at work for a school in Chilliwack, BC (Canada) called Life Tae Kwon Do.

It's run but a guy called Sam Soo Han, who claims to be a 9th degree black belt in TKD who trained with General Choi - one of the founders of TKD.

My girlfriend joined with me and I stuck it out for a bit as it was good exercise for her. I was already into Jiu-Jitsu, and had little interest outside of doing something with my gf.

So after the free month we have to do the standard crap of registration fees, buying gis, and choosing how we are going to pay.

We choose the multiple pay in advance with cheques for a year, but stop coming after 5 months or so. The guy cashed every cheque even though we told him that her schooling and my work were interfering with class time.

I was also annoyed that it seemed that people were going for belt tests WAAAAAY too soon, especially around Xmas time which makes me really pissed.

My question to all of you is - have you ever heard of this guy? Are his crudentials right?

Unfortunately he has no website - or I would link to it. I only found one mention of him through google for a TKD school elsewhere that had him teach there when their instructor retired back when he was supposedly 4th dan.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 2:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_990
    A little over a year ago I won a free month of training at work for a school in Chilliwack, BC (Canada) called Life Tae Kwon Do.

It's run but a guy called Sam Soo Han, who claims to be a 9th degree black belt in TKD who trained with General Choi - one of the founders of TKD.

My girlfriend joined with me and I stuck it out for a bit as it was good exercise for her. I was already into Jiu-Jitsu, and had little interest outside of doing something with my gf.

So after the free month we have to do the standard crap of registration fees, buying gis, and choosing how we are going to pay.

We choose the multiple pay in advance with cheques for a year, but stop coming after 5 months or so. The guy cashed every cheque even though we told him that her schooling and my work were interfering with class time.

I was also annoyed that it seemed that people were going for belt tests WAAAAAY too soon, especially around Xmas time which makes me really pissed.

My question to all of you is - have you ever heard of this guy? Are his crudentials right?

Unfortunately he has no website - or I would link to it. I only found one mention of him through google for a TKD school elsewhere that had him teach there when their instructor retired back when he was supposedly 4th dan.

Well if you read some of the other posts you will know that that's usually how they get you. Some free classes to get you hooked then all the crap you have to purchase just to attend class. Also if you signed up for a year, doesn't matter if you attend class or not, they are going to charge you and cash your checks. It's like leasing a car, doesn't matter if you drive it or not, you still have to pay. Contracts suck. Testing for belts way too early, that's another sign as well. Me personally, this looks like BS. I don't know about the instructor himself or care to. The fact is, the signs point to bad things and if I were you I would make sure they don't do an auto renew with your account and leave the place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 2:24pm

Style: Goju

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ooooh...did you get him to show you a 'Sine Wave' ?

Gen Choi's sine wave:
    http://tkdtutor.com/06Concepts/Power...jiSineWave.wmv

http://tkdtutor.com/06Concepts/Power...oiSineWave.WMV

whacks-on whacks-off

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 2:40pm

Style: Jiu-Jitsu, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintama

Gen Choi's sine wave:

whacks-on whacks-off
    LMAO!!!! Yeah that was like the 2nd or 3rd pattern he taught...

as for DatDamnMachine : I already think he's BS... even if he's legit, I don't like the way he ran his business so I'm never going back. Don't think he can auto charge either - we paid with post dated cheques...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 2:41pm

Style: Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gen Choi's sine wave:
    My monitor must be borked - the belt on that person looks black but can't be.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 2:53pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

as for DatDamnMachine : I already think he's BS... even if he's legit, I don't like the way he ran his business so I'm never going back. Don't think he can auto charge either - we paid with post dated cheques...
    Unfortunately he is as "legit" as most other TKD schools you'll find outside of Korea. What you are describing is pretty much the cookie cutter mold for all other TKD schools. They almost all operate on the "Free month" or "Free two weeks" promotion. But guess what? If you put your name and info in that little box you "win". They call EVERYONE who puts their info in the box. The only way to get anything useful out of that school is if you work your ASS off in spite of the mediocre instruction and the sickeningly low expectations. The techniques may be valid, and you CAN pick up good flexibility and good foot work, but most of the time you are going to be better off with a MT or MMA gym if you want any kind of real training.
    If you plan on looking for a TKD school in the future don't sign any contracts, don't pay more than 3 months in advance, and get as many classes out of your introductory period as possible so you can evaluate the instructor. Also, request to watch some of the higher ranking students spar so you can see what kind of sparring they engage in. If it's high speed tag with little or no contact don't bother going back. If it's nonstop with moderate to heavy contact you can look into it further.

Kintanon

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 2:57pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I was thinking like autorenew like what cable companies do after a trial period of service if you don't specifically cancel in writing the service they will auto bill you and if you pay by check, they will simply delequient(spelling?) your account and you may be responsible for the fees. Most people don't find that out until they are being contacted by a collection agency. You may want to talk to Bullshido's resident lawyer, Samuel Browning.

As for not going back, you already seem to be headed in the right direction.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 3:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you know if they are part of any org like ATA (American TKD association) or WTF (world TKD federation)? I hear these two encourage their schools to grab as much money as possible without any regard for the students. -john

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 3:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny3443
    Do you know if they are part of any org like ATA (American TKD association) or WTF (world TKD federation)? I hear these two encourage their schools to grab as much money as possible without any regard for the students. -john
    Where did you hear that?

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 3:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gen Choi's sine wave:

whacks-on whacks-off

I think he is saying NOT to do the sine wave.....In other words, DONT bob your head up and down. Thats what I was taught, not too.

He was pretty hard to understand
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast