222308 Bullies, 3552 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 3:34pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The difference between cranking an armbar for a tap, and cranking it until it breaks, is a whopping .5 of an inch, and the will to do it.

That's not something that needs to be explicitly taught.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 3:40pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What he said. In boxing and MT the goal is to KO your opponent. No one trains to win on points.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 3:43pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand what you mean. If some one taps that means you executed the technique right and if you wanted to you could follow through with the move, but is highly unnecessary.

There are some tools though left out in sport mma training. Such as rupturing the ear drum(which can be practiced safely), going for the eyes, throat, groin, minor joint locks, ect. I do beleive that they can safely be thrown into the training mix of MMA that would help you in a violent situation.

It's just that I don't see any MMA school offering this option.
    Last edited by MMA Apostate; 10/04/2006 3:53pm at .

Genius

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 3:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    www.oregonmartialarts.com

This is where I train, there is some "RBSD" type of stuff trained there, but the core of it is MMA training. You'll learn knife and stick fighting and other "street" oriented type of stuff there as well, it's just emphasized just enough to be effective. The curriculum has changed and the website doesn't reflect it. It's Muay Thai + Gracie Jujitsu + Filipinno Martial Arts + Judo + more.

Rupturing ear drums, eye gouges, throat strikes, groin strikes and stuff like that is the kind of crap you can train yourself to do in 5 minutes or so. Without the timing, tactics, training and alive training that an MMA environment offers, all of the "dirty" stuff doesn't matter. When you're mounted on your opponent, you can throw all of the "dirty" tricks you want out there. When you're mounted, not so much.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 4:15pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    www.oregonmartialarts.com

This is where I train, there is some "RBSD" type of stuff trained there, but the core of it is MMA training. You'll learn knife and stick fighting and other "street" oriented type of stuff there as well, it's just emphasized just enough to be effective. The curriculum has changed and the website doesn't reflect it. It's Muay Thai + Gracie Jujitsu + Filipinno Martial Arts + Judo + more.

Rupturing ear drums, eye gouges, throat strikes, groin strikes and stuff like that is the kind of crap you can train yourself to do in 5 minutes or so. Without the timing, tactics, training and alive training that an MMA environment offers, all of the "dirty" stuff doesn't matter. When you're mounted on your opponent, you can throw all of the "dirty" tricks you want out there. When you're mounted, not so much.
    That looks like a good place to train. However I must admit that it is a bit to far away to travel to. I appreciate that you have taken me up on my offer to be "set straight" I agree with you 100% when you wrote "Without the timing, tactics, training and alive training that an MMA environment offers, all of the "dirty" stuff doesn't matter" I would just like to attend a place that blends the two in there training curiculum, and since I can't find any place that officially does that I feel I have to try to create my own way.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMA Apostate
    That looks like a good place to train. However I must admit that it is a bit to far away to travel to. I appreciate that you have taken me up on my offer to be "set straight" I agree with you 100% when you wrote "Without the timing, tactics, training and alive training that an MMA environment offers, all of the "dirty" stuff doesn't matter" I would just like to attend a place that blends the two in there training curiculum, and since I can't find any place that officially does that I feel I have to try to create my own way.
    I would hope that would include continuing your MMA training .

Do you ever compete ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Genius

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 4:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A Place to Shoot is on the north side of town, they teach Muay Thai but have plenty of people that do FMA in there as well although it's not part of the curriculum.

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 4:19pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMA Apostate
    I understand what you mean. If some one taps that means you executed the technique right and if you wanted to you could follow through with the move, but is highly unnecessary.

There are some tools though left out in sport mma training. Such as rupturing the ear drum(which can be practiced safely), going for the eyes, throat, groin, minor joint locks, ect. I do beleive that they can safely be thrown into the training mix of MMA that would help you in a violent situation.

It's just that I don't see any MMA school offering this option.
    Now you're talking about low-percentage moves.

In a fight, you want to rely on the basics. If you don't have the basics, none of that matters. If you can't grapple, trying to poke the eyes of someone who can, is really dumb. Again, just add dirt.

If you're not good at the fundamentals, worrying about everything else is pointless. And the only effective way to learn the fundamentals is to do so in an alive environment where you face consequences for mistakes and flawed technique.

What you're doing is worrying about getting a headshot at 500 meters when you should be working on hitting the 50 meter targets reliably.

Genius

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 4:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can throw a knee that has an impact equivalent to a 35mph car crash, there's no need to eyegouge a person. The knee is a basic technique that can be applied in live altercations and can be trained hard. The eyegouge requires roleplaying effectiveness, as does many "RBSD" type of tactics.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 4:34pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mma training for self defense without eye pokes (et al) is like a hamburger without chocolate sprinkles.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast