Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 7:31am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, you have seemingly seen what people have been trying to tell you. good for you! but reading over some of your posts, there still seems to be some misunderstandings between what you can train for (this is my personal opinion, disagree if you want).

"Also, to reiturate , you can train to fight multiple attackers, people with knives, or bats"

WHY?

why are you wanting to fight someone with mates/knife/bat ?? FUCKEN RUN!

Youre better off perfecting a shoulder charge and palming off attackers (as in rugby) and identifying someone who may be 'carrying' than any RBSD bullshit.

i was thinking "ah yes, finally this bloke gets it!" and then i read that you thought you could train to take on someone with a knife or bat. What are you, going to use a mighty X block?

Your kidding yourself if you think youve got a fighting chance against a bloke with a knife - as soon as someone pulls out a knife, the odds are MIGHTILY unbalanced - and what if he does the thing any half wit would do, and not actually pull the knife out until hes already within stabbing range?

And what is with the whole idea of a 'knife fight' ?
    Is it like a bloody duel or something now or what?!
    because that is just not going to happen. ever heard of a 'prison yard rush' ?

Start sprint training - that's your knife defence!

As aussie punk band Frenzal Rhomb once sang ;

"Youre a **** up, youre a joke,
    Youre a clown - take your pants down,
    Get fucked you fucken fuckwit,
    You cant move into my house"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 9:43am

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ugh..... Here's what I can tell you.

1.) "Multiple Attackers". The same techniques that work against one person work against two, three, or four people. The best advice you'll get is "hit and run" if you can't "run" already. If you must fight, don't get enclosed, try to keep one attacker between you and the rest so they can't easily gang up on you, etc.

2.) Knife defense. Control the weapon-side arm. The only problem is that unlike how most martial arts schools teach, the person is probably going to have the weapon concealed until the fight starts. If you can take the person down early, it helps you out greatly. The military has found that when people try to pull weapons while in mount or side mount, they have them easily taken from them.

3.) Situational awareness is your friend. If you're that worried about fighting, figure out where fights occur and how to avoid them. This is kind of like someone saying that their house may catch on fire, so they want to become a firefighter. It's waaayyyyyy easier to prevent fires by following safe practices than it is to try to fight the fire once it's started.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 11:40am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reason why I posted the points about training against multiple attackers, people with weapons, ect. was due because I thought I would be able to train to handle the stress of the situation, and not freeze if such an ocassion would ever happen.

I get what you guys mean. I don't plan on being a police officer or a GI Joe any time soon. so it's not like I'm going to be putting myself in bad situations that I have to deal with because it's my job/duty. As a civilian you have alot more liberties on who you get to socialize with and where you get to travel to around town. Thus you can cut out alot places that might make you have to defend yourself in a life or death situation.

I think I just have to keep remembering my simple formula
    Quality MMA Training + Good observation/de-escalation tactics =RBSD

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    10/09/2006 11:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude,

We have what is called a "fight or flight" response.

I suggest you use "flight" when approached by anyone.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2006 12:34pm

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jez makes a great point ;
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez
    Youre better off perfecting a shoulder charge and palming off attackers (as in rugby) and identifying someone who may be 'carrying' than any RBSD bullshit.
    Start sprint training - that's your knife defence!
    Seriously training to get out of a sticky situation IS self-defence,
    just train!

I'm sure Judo and Rugby together make a great system,
    but it's not for the lazy, so I'll stick to whiskey and telly.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/10/2006 12:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMHO I wish I found/asked my questions on this site months ago
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213