Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 12:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Looking to be set straight

The reason why I chose the name MMA Apostate is because I left sport MMA in search for RBSD. I still enjoy watching and attending MMA competitions. It's just not what I'm looking to train in any longer. Due to the beleif that you will always fight how you train when the pressure is on, and I only want to fight when I can't avoid or escape the situation and I have to survive.(to put it simply) I know alot of things from sport mma can carry over into RBSD but not all of it.

The only trainer I have in my area(Portland, Oregon) that deals with RBSD that I found is Loren Christensen. Private lessons run $60 for an hour and a half of training. Which isn't bad...but still expensive for me.(that's $240 a month if I visit once a week)

This is where I am looking to be set straight. I am looking first to train in Target Focus Training. I like how they outline all the weak points on the human body and how to cause trauma to them. I like how it's based on the science of human anatomy and physiology, However, I do not beleive this system to be the end all of my RBSD learning. I figure that there is usefull information in this system I can use in my overall development of my own RBSD personal program. I find that there are holes in the system such as dealing with the adrenalin dump, fatige, and fear of the violent situation. I also understand that most unavoidable violent situations are ambushes so I beleive you have to have ingrained technique of properly covering up if a person(s) is trying to knock your teeth in, defenses against the shoot if someone is trying to take you down to the ground, or how to quicly roll some one off that has taken you to ground and has taken mount. And also you have to be able to apply what you know underpressure and resistance. I know this as I look to officially train in TFT. Like I wrote earlier I don't see it as a complete RBSD system just a good starting point. Another thing I like about TFT is there phylosophy of when it is acceptable to use violence in our society. (social vs asocial violence)

If you think I'm wrong then set me straight. All I ask is for you to back it up. Or if you know anyone in the Portland Metro Area in Oregon that trains specifically for RBSD let me know.

You guys have a great day.:icon_rr:

Genius

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 1:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Feel free to read the newbie FAQ's and get back to us. When you're ready to start training again, check out Straight Blast Gym, Oregon Martial Arts, or Quest. A Place to Shoot also has some programs.

Genius

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 1:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and at A Place To Shoot, Guro Dan Inosanto is giving a seminar this weekend. Call them for details. I'd go, but I'm gonna be in BC for a while.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 1:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    Feel free to read the newbie FAQ's and get back to us. When you're ready to start training again, check out Straight Blast Gym, Oregon Martial Arts, or Quest. A Place to Shoot also has some programs.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I will look more thoroughly in the FAQ's. Also, I've never heard of Oregon Martial Arts however, the impression I got from straight blast and Quest is that they are sport martial arts oriented not reality-based. Such as knife, gun, and club defense, or eye gouges, groin shots, or ankle stomps were not expressed in there fighting methods.

I'm just looking to be able to survive street violence not obtain belts, trophies, or glory. Don't get me wrong I respect those who go out and obtain such items. Just not what I'm seeking in my martial arts training.

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 1:35pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't get closer to "Reality" than training where people are genuinely trying to beat the crap out of you.

And ironically, that generally doesn't happen in many "Reality Based" anything schools.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 1:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're right about how alot of RBSD don't apply alot of pressure when sparring. I do beleive that issue needs to be addressed. For me though, I'm hung up on the thought that you will always fight how you train. So the training needs to be oriented towards techniques that end the violent situation quickly with you walking a way and the bad guy(s) needing medical treatment. With Sport MMA I find that you are trained in tchniques that still benefit your opponent from being harmed via trauma. And I beleive you would naturally use those techniques when dealing with a violent situation and that it might not be towards your benefit.

Don't take this the wrong way. I'm just trying to explain my thought process of why I've come to the conclusion of training in RBSD not Sport MMA. Also, I would like to add that MMA training is a very well crafted way of learning how to fight, and I have a high respect for those athletes who go out there to compete and make a name for themselves.

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 2:01pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem. But "just add dirt".

It's easier to go from a foundation of full contact sparring/fighting to adding intent to harm/kill, than from an intent to kill but no experience in any kind of fighting and trying to pull off "deadly moves" in a real situation.

This should help a bit, a lot of is is relevant:

http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...q=yes&id_cat=5

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 2:36pm

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMA Apostate
    For me though, I'm hung up on the thought that you will always fight how you train. So the training needs to be oriented towards techniques that end the violent situation quickly with you walking a way and the bad guy(s) needing medical treatment.

Sure, you fight the way you train, but I don't think it's nearly as big an issue as some would like us to believe. When I box I don't ever use the take downs that I used when I wrestled. At the same time if someone is trying to break a beer bottle over my head I'm not going to try to throw a bunch of jabs so I can win on points the way I might in a boxing match. IMHO a lot of RBSD guys over-exagerate the importance of this.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 2:44pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So the training needs to be oriented towards techniques that end the violent situation quickly with you walking a way and the bad guy(s) needing medical treatment. With Sport MMA I find that you are trained in tchniques that still benefit your opponent from being harmed via trauma.
    how do punching, kicking, kneeing, elbowing, choking, and otherwise beating the **** out of an opponent protect him from harm?

come to think of it, i'd say competitive mma fighting instills the exact opposite mentality - you keep going until an authority figure (be it the referee or a cop) forces you to stop, regardless of the state of your opponent.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 3:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    No problem. But "just add dirt".

It's easier to go from a foundation of full contact sparring/fighting to adding intent to harm/kill, than from an intent to kill but no experience in any kind of fighting and trying to pull off "deadly moves" in a real situation.

This should help a bit, a lot of is is relevant:

http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...q=yes&id_cat=5
    I've just spent awhile going over that link you posted. I now know what you mean by "just add dirt"

I think where my frustrations lie is I'm looking for a MMA/RBSD Hybrid training center, so that you can have a great delivery system but still be aware of how to apropriately shut down an individual quickly when the situation warrents instead of being tied down to finish them via the competition trained way/ only way you know how. And I can't seem to find a place like that around.
Page 1 of 13 1 234511 ... LastLast