Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 1:01pm

Style: S.H.I.T. MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Jackson
    I just got sworn in to the Navy, and promised a position as a Master at Arms(military police). I don't neccessarily need to really know how to swim, but being at the top of my class graduating basic training is the easiest way to gain recognition early. I want 3 things, to master the strokes in swimming, be able to blow away the running, and to the one arm pushup or 100 pushups straight before I leave, on the 13th on March 2007. Here's where I stand:

10 crappy looking one arm pushups, 300 pound squat, 425 deadlift, 180 clean and jerk, 170 snatch, 50 straight pushups(elbows out, palm, shoulder width), 120 straight situps, 120 BW squats(feet shoulder width apart, ass to grass), 35 straight burpees with pushups.

Swimming, I can keep afloat, basically, and I'm slowly mastering the breaststroke, and the full stroke, but I do it with my head above water. I can tread water for about 2 minutes, I'm very energy wasting with it, I flap my feet around a lot, but I've got that back and forth movement with my arms on top of the water down pretty good. Basically, I think If I was miles from a beach or got ripped under by an undercurrent or rip tide(I don't know the terms), I think I could struggle, note that I didn't say not die.

Running: I can do a full running HIIT session, as per true HIIT, which lasts only 4 minutes, 20 second sprints(as fast as possible, i.e., running for my life), 10 second rests, only 4 minutes. Long distance running is much harder for me, as in, I get gassed out after a mile, because I'm flat footed, and I'm trying to run on the balls of my feet, which isn't working too good, but I'm trying anyway. I do hill sprints, and mix them in after I'm gassed running, sprint up one side and sprint down the other.
    Here's my full workout. Monday, rest.

Tuesday: After a simple warmup of "cardio-like" broomstick cleans and jerks, snatches, overhead squats, and baseball swings, and alternating sides shotput 12 pound medicine ball 10 reps. 18 reps, from the free pdf "From the Ground Up", "The Rapid Ascent Program" by Daniel John. Me and my buddy, who's joining the Navy with me, he's going in for a promised IT position same date. Me and him, for the 18 reps, we go from watcher to lifter, doing the clean, front squat, and push press as one movement, 8 reps, 6 reps, then 4 reps. Or we do overhead squats, the follow up with snatches, or do them as one movement. Then we go and do 16 minutes of tabata, 8 minutes alternating BW squats and pushups, and 8 minutes alternating BW rows and situps, or an obsticle course ran with these exercises, or variations. Then, I alternate plate pinch farmer's walks, or towel grip deadlift walks and seated or standing good mornings 3 times each, then finish up with hill sprints, or sled pulling, or sparring, as we see fit. We like to mix things up, then 2 hours of Kajukenbo later on in the day, which mixes calisthenetics, stretching, sparring, and technique practice, for 2 hours.

Wednesday: Long run mixing pavement and grass and other terrain, going the way the eagle flies(a straight line) to a semi far off location, and we'll do stupid crap like mix side movement and backwards jogging in on the way there, when we get there, we'll mix up hill sprints, striking technique practice, a full 4 minute HIIT sprinting session, sparring, shuttle runs, T drills, and other such things for 45 minutes to an hour, then run back.

Thursday: See tuesday

Friday: See wednesday.

Saturday: See tuesday and thursday, without the Kajukenbo.

Sunday: See wednesday and friday.

I need to be ready for the PT practice test by the 11th, and the real test about a month or so later. I need to be ready for boot camp by March 13th. I just want to graduate at the top of my class. Any suggestions on anything will be greatly appreciated.
    Navy Boot camp is lame-o. I grad'd in Aug 99, hot as **** in Chi-town. The physical part isn't too tough, it's more the lack-of-sleep and mindless activities coupled with the inability to masturbate.

Once you hit the fleet, if you start talking about BC, you'll be ridiculed until you make E4.
    My advice is (I'm a Personal Trainer) is to focus more on doing what it is they do at boot camp. The navy could give two shits in a coffee can if you can squat the admirals Cadillac, they only care that you do the following

Be within height/weight, or within Neck/waist ratio
    Touch you toes
    x number of pushups in 2 minutes
    x number of situps in 2 minutes
    Run a mile and a half in about 12 mintues.
    Don't die shortly afterwards
    Get back to scrubbing the john in 15 minutes

So, you ought to go ahead and suck up to the fact that you will not squat, sprint, or HIIT a damn thing. The military routine is boring, and whats worse, ARCHAIC. But it is what it is.

I do remember that we split the routines between running only on one day, and calisthenics only on another day for the first few weeks. All done in the morning, so get used to training with nothing in the tank.

My advice for real now- Bust out a grip of push ups in two minute intervals, paying attention to how many you compete on average in your first 3 sets. Same for situps. THEN RUN. Running should start with a slow 3-5 miles, stopping to walk if needed. Next workout, speed it up, and so forth. Once you can do 3 miles in under 30 minutes, then start to look at speed increases and shorten the run to 2 miles, but never shorter. The idea is that if you can meet the standards over and over in one workout, actually doing them once all together under pressure will be easy. Good luck, MAA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 1:08pm

Style: S.H.I.T. MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLew
    When you get to your boat you should brag to your Chief and LPO how your bootcamp division got captains cup and you were meritoriously advanced to E3 for being a good ARPOC.

You'll be tortured for months. Just say **** off when someone sends you for an HT punch.
    And blowing the EEOW is not a privilege.

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 1:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do not go looking for fallopian tube to Blow the DCA. Steam does not get issued in buckets. All navy wrenches are for ambidextrous use. Don't ever try to cut 50ft of chow line. A machinist's punch will hurt you.

Anthony's post can be summed up in the only important General Order: "I will roam my post from flank to flank and take no **** from any rank."

After boot camp, you will probably only run 3 miles a year. Don't sweat it.

If you remember that all nuc MM's are gods, you'll do fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 2:39pm

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But I hate running. No, really, a word for the loathing I feel for running is not in the English language. Running is "Gnodab".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 4:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But I hate running. No, really, a word for the loathing I feel for running is not in the English language. Running is "Gnodab".
    Running or more jogging is something you are definately going to have to do. Your final boot PRT push ups and sit ups will be joke, but you'll see alot of draggin ass during the 1 and 1/2 mile run portion. You must get sat on all three or you fail the whole test. Just be glad you dont have to carry gear when you run like Marines and Army.

Posted On:
    11/05/2006 1:25am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who the **** likes endurance exercise anyway? Is there anyone who enjoys this ****? I hate doing high reps of anything! Who here is a marathon type of person who can tell me what I should be enjoying about all this?

Posted On:
    11/05/2006 1:54pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who the **** likes endurance exercise anyway? Is there anyone who enjoys this ****? I hate doing high reps of anything! Who here is a marathon type of person who can tell me what I should be enjoying about all this?
    It's definitely an acquired taste. I despise running, but I find swimming long distance to be almost meditative.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 10:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    is this a nuke posting?
    Thats glowy bubble-head to you sir.

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 10:45am

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Granted
    Thats glowy bubble-head to you sir.

What boat? I did my sentence on the Albuturkey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 10:58am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Favorite Cadence sung by the Marine Corp Detachment "A" School Ft. Devens while running by Navy Barracks.

Navy Navy I'm in doubt
    Why your belly is sticking out
    Is it beer or is it wine?
    Or is it lack of PT Time?

Sound off
    One Two
    Sound off
    three four
    Bring it all down
    One two three four
    MARINE CORPS!
    Favorite reply to the Marines by Sailors after hearing cadence, only to watch the Marines break formation trying to figure out where the yells came from...

**** YOU, THE MARINE CORPS SUCKS
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast