Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 6:57am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hamburg, Germany - Zanshin Dojo

To my knowledge, this school was the first in Hamburg to offer BJJ. The two instructors, Tim and Finn both had blue belts from the Machados at the time, but are now purples.

There is a fulltime BJJ black belt instructor with the school now and four classes a week. Zanshin also has bjj seminars and a fight team. They are now assosciated with Gracie Barra.

There is a shooto class once a week and uses Erik Paulson's CSW system, but unfortunately it is poorly attended. Attendees are required to go through some kickboxing classes and some bjj before they start, plus there is alot of harder sparring which can turn some people off.

Tim and Finn did a great deal of Arnis/Kali and JKD/VT with Insanto while in the US and teach those classes as well. Also offered are (always taught by black belts in the system) Japanese Ju-Jitsu, Capeora by a maestro from Brazil, boxing, cardio kickboxing (which is required before taking the kickboxing class), and a Wu-Shu class.

The training team does a great job letting the students know what is for show and what works.

There are seperate kids classes for the Japanese Ju-Jitsu as well.

The facilities are top notch. There are weights, machines, stationary bikes, a bar (yes, with alcohol), lockers, showers and a coed sauna. There is a regular wood floor dojo with heavy bags and mits, plus a boxing ring. There is also a large padded room for grappling/throwing.

Leaving this gym during my move to Montreal was one of the harder things I have done. The people are friendly and close knit (don't let the german-ness fool you!!!) and the instruction top notch.

I am only rating the classes I attended. Sometimes the classes were a bit too full as well.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 1:55am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you, great review!

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 7:29am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't tell you about the striking and weapon instruction, but i can tell a little bit about the Dojo and the BJJ and Shooto class.
    The equipment and Gym size are as MrMcFu told before. Everything is bright, clean and neat. The people i was training with are nice, friendly and always keep fair playing.
    The BJJ classes are now in the main time lead by two local Brownbelts (one of them is also 2nd. Dan Judoka). The Team is also periodicaly supported by a brazilian Blackbelt who also graduates the students. The level of the BJJ class improved much in the last years and now you'll find no better BJJ/Grappling Team in the whole north of Germany.
    The Shooto class is lead by a CSW instructor who is also high ranked in various other Martial Arts. I would call the level of the Shooto class a beginners level because most of the students ONLY train striking OR grappling. Also there is only once per week Shooto so that no big improvement is possible. The Trainer himself is a good instructor who is skilled in all distances and with good skills in teaching too.

(sorry for my poor english skills)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 7:45am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, since Carlos Eduardo "Chalita" Ferreira Guimares went away to the US I was thinking how will graduate and test the newer BJJers. What BJJ BB comes there to test them? Chalita?

Posted On:
    10/12/2009 5:10am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, Igor Araujo does, he is the Headcoach of Gracie Barra Switzerland. Also Caveirinha himself comes around once a year.