Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 7:06am

Style: Shootfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I was thinking something like that. I don't have any experience in the Thaļ-clinch, but in over-under, head-and-arm and such, being taller is not as much of an advantage as it seems to be in the Thaļ-clinch.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 7:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pummeling drills my friend.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 8:12am

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pummel drills, and then pummel to hip throw drills... my only heavyweight wrestling wins come from that sneaky move.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 8:38am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by airman kai
    I thought I saw something crazy. You want a WRESTLER to explain the finer points of the knee-2-face technique?
    He was probably referring to wrestler for clinch for underhooking, pummeling, etc. for takedown and not MT clinch to throw knees.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 8:39am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does being substantially taller than your opponent lessen the effectivenss of a clinch?
    No for knees.
    Yes for takedown.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 8:42am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought I saw something crazy. You want a WRESTLER to explain the finer points of the knee-2-face technique?
    Not the knee to the face, but rather the clinch. A muay thai fighter is going to do a fine job of explaining the knees, but the neck clinch is still a clinching position that is common in wrestling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 12:23pm

Style: Judo/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    Not the knee to the face, but rather the clinch. A muay thai fighter is going to do a fine job of explaining the knees, but the neck clinch is still a clinching position that is common in wrestling
    Yes, actually I cannot view embedded videos so I thought you were talking about a clinch like that used in grappling or MMA (especially since you have some throws in your signature so I figured either sub wrestling or MMA were most likely).

However, wrestlers can give you a lot of help in collar clinching as well, and it might be useful to neck wrestle with one to get a feel for balancing and off-balancing that will benefit you greatly when you want to plant a knee in someone's nose.

Especially if you're usually training with Western people. Usually Western Muay Thai has a stronger low kick and boxing focus than Thailand's usual approaches. Looking at a lot of Dutch fighters and Americans, they fight best at a range instead of dominating the clinch. Therefore, a wrestler will probably have better balance and ability to cause unbalance in his opponent than most Western MT fighters, so that can really help you succeed.

If you're training with someone that has a lot of clinch experience, especially in Thailand where most fights are won and lost, that'll be the best.

Clinching in MMA requires knowledge of both wrestling and Muay Thai. A lot of the clinches are wrestling, but you need to know how to throw punches and elbows and knees like a Muay Thai fighter, how to off-balance them in a similar way to Muay Thai to make them eat knees to the face, etc.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12