Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 1:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also from a self defense point of view if you ever use grappling on t3h d3@dly str33t you'll be wearing foot gear of some sort.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 6:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just picked up some Addidas Mat Hogs ($45). Like you mentioned jnp, I was thinking it may be more difficult to play spider or de La Riva guards (I have no X-Guard guard to speak of).

I'll get on the mat and see. Thanks for the comments guys.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 11:57am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FYI - Just in case anyone was curious; I have rolled a few times both gi and no-gi with the sneakers and my shots have been more aggressive and my feet are thanking me.

I honestly don't notice any difference at all while rolling. I've been able to secure De La Riva and Spider variations without the sneakers hindering me and I have not been heel hooked yet...I emphasize YET...

Regardless, I now agree with GIJoe when he said...

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    wrestling sneakers FTW. End of discussion.

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 12:17pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moved to DHS; grappling gear discussion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 3:45pm

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In some tournaments, be advised that wrestling shoes are not allowed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 8:43pm

Style: shootwrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrestling shoes are required at my school. I wear a pair of adidas ones that cost me about $90 Canadian.

I haven't done much grappling without them, so I'm totally used to having the grip that they afford me while grappling. However, they sometimes stick to the mat a bit too much for my liking during standup.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2006 12:40pm

Style: taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We recently started wearing shoes for class, and I couldn't find a pair of wrestling shoes that I thought were comfortable. I ended up with a pair of Adidas indoor soccer shoes. They are working out OK so far for me, and they were cheap, like $30 I think.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2006 1:09pm

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just make sure you never wear them outside. I hate it when people think that they can wear their wrestling shoes from the outside then onto the mats.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/20/2006 1:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ginshun
    We recently started wearing shoes for class, and I couldn't find a pair of wrestling shoes that I thought were comfortable. I ended up with a pair of Adidas indoor soccer shoes. They are working out OK so far for me, and they were cheap, like $30 I think.
    you're talking about sambas right? cause they are great shoes for standup work, and we used them in my school for years... but if you're talking about grappling, i can't see them being a good choice.

for one thing they get pulled right off your feet quite easily when someone is leg locking or even just guard passing.

another thing is that the soles are a bit too thick for grappling, you don't get good mat sensitivity.

most importantly they tend to hurt your training partner. i know this cause there is a guy in one of my classes who INSISTS on wearing them even during the grappling sessions, since the decision was made that they wouldn't screw up the mats. lots of people have complained about them but he just won't take em off.

at least i got him to put on boxing gloves for standup sparring, instead of fingerless gloves with no padding.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Office Drone

Posted On:
    10/20/2006 2:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never worn grappling shoes, but I'd like to second what's already been mentioned about some shoes being very rough and abrasive.

I already get enough skin taken off my elbows and feet every week without some meathead with thickass wrestling-type shoes grinding them along my biceps in his weakass attempt to pull some kind of cockfucked open-guard. Let it be known that these careless individuals will find their knees and ankles punished once enough anger has been evoked.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12