Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 10:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Freestyle Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A question.

This is my first post out of newbietown, and I was simply looking for some advice or perhaps suggestions. Lately I have been taking a long hard look at my own training in Freestyle Aikido and I realized that while the place I train at does offer pretty good training for what it is, and has no trace of the typical Aikido dojo crap that I have just started to question the applicability of what I have learned.

Now my dilemna is this, for the past few weeks I have taken a serious interest in grappling. The only problem is I live in an area that is completely surrounded by bullshido really there is only one Aikido place, and two or three Tae Kwon Do schools.

I know the obvious answer is "move somewhere else" and believe me if I could then I would but at present I simply can't afford to move. My question is what would you do in this situation?

It drives me crazy when I cannot train, I think about martial arts constantly and have pretty much since I was quite young. So what I end up doing is reading a lot of articles by guys like Matt Thornton and it is of course frustrating to have all this desire to train and not be able to do a damned thing.

The only real grappling resource I have at my disposal currently is Bas Rutten's Big Dvd's of Combat, and I have been thinking of maybe finding someone with similar interests who wants to practice, there are only a few things stopping me currently.

1) I have heard from many people that you simply cannot learn effectively from a video.

2) I have been told that without a qualified instructor present there is a decent risk of injury in learning some of the techniques.

3) I really don't have any place at home to train, and since there aren't any MMA gyms/schools in my area that puts me in quite a bind.

In any event I have yammered on quite enough at this point, any advice would be appreciated.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 11:23pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you tried gtting other martial artists to form a training group? Try and contat the students from the schools. If there is a college around put up a poster or something to start a group. Someone must have come from out of town to go to college who has training under their belt.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 8:51am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrong forum.

Ask around. Chances are there's a small club somewhere near you if you look hard enough. Judo is pretty common and it would be leaps and bounds above aikido.

Training on your own is a sure way to learn bad habits. Don't do that. Get in better shape. Get more flexable. Work your cardio.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 9:16am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you're in west virginia. i know there are bjj schools in west virginia. how big can the state be, really?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 10:08am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you tried gtting other martial artists to form a training group? Try and contat the students from the schools. If there is a college around put up a poster or something to start a group. Someone must have come from out of town to go to college who has training under their belt.
    I think this is a great idea, there is a gym about thirty minutes away from me, I am planning on heading over there and inquiring about the interests of other people and seeing if any of the guys there have some experience and take it from there.

you're in west virginia. i know there are bjj schools in west virginia. how big can the state be, really?
    I think that's the point West Virginia isn't that big I am sure that many of the locals are amazed to have the bullshido that we have. I have heard of one BJJ club but it's on the campus of Marshall University.

Also while I was googling for schools in the area I came across something that was very much unknown to me, I found this ****. http://onthemat.com/video_search.php?categoryid=24 if you look at podcast 18 on this site it is all about BJJ tournaments being banned in WV.

Here is the quote from the podcast description, I haven't listened to it yet but I probably will later today.

The Banning of BJJ in West Virginia Governmental organizations around the world see fit to control and sometimes outlaw many activities, such as human trafficking, and the use of nuclear technology in atomic energy production. It seems that Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tournaments are the latest addition to the list. In the United States, West Virginia decided that Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu was too dangerous of a sport and the WV State Athletic Commission decided that all BJJ tournaments would be outlawed. We have an interview today with Butch Hiles, a purple belt under Royce Gracie who lead the campaign to make BJJ tourneys legal again - for the moment - and we'll hear about where the matter stands today in beautiful West Virginia.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 11:38am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so West Virginia is basically Retard Central, just to the right of creationist Kansas. Sorry for the jab, but banning BJJ because it's too dangerous is the stupidest thing I've seen yet. If they go that route, they may as well ban bareback sex or driving while holding a cell phone. Fucking morons.

Anyways, what's your zip code. That may help in searching for some other alternatives like Judo or MMA-styled classes.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 12:02pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    McDonalds is more dangerous to human health and its not banned.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 12:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so West Virginia is basically Retard Central, just to the right of creationist Kansas. Sorry for the jab, but banning BJJ because it's too dangerous is the stupidest thing I've seen yet. If they go that route, they may as well ban bareback sex or driving while holding a cell phone. Fucking morons.

Anyways, what's your zip code. That may help in searching for some other alternatives like Judo or MMA-styled classes.
    Yes West Virginia is retard central, if there is a retarded idea that has been made manifest chances are it was conceived here. And no worries about the jab I am not a native I have just lived here for a long time.

My zipcode is 24986

McDonalds is more dangerous to human health and its not banned.
    Sad but terribly true.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 3:14pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bwahahahaha @ WV - keeps reminding you of how stupid people really are. Banning BJJ. LOL. Holy ****. Awesome.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 7:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bwahahahaha @ WV - keeps reminding you of how stupid people really are. Banning BJJ. LOL. Holy ****. Awesome.
    This proves once and for all that BJJ is t3h r33l d3adly because it has to be outlawed!

I have another question that is a bit off topic from my original, I was wondering if I am to old to consider fighting MMA. As it stands right now I am 24 but I really have no advantage to speak of, I have no prior ground work experience or striking other then some crappy TMA basics.

The only positive thing I have had going on is the fact that I have spent the past month and a half getting in better physical shape and staying on a healthy diet, so I have gone from 268 pounds to 245 and I am starting to shape up nicely.

Problem is I know getting in shape alone doesn't do **** if you don't have any skills to back it up. So if I don't find any good place to train here I may end up attempting to move in a few months.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast