Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 8:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's say I was already a badass MMA fighter, how should I train to apply my skills in a Self Defense situtaion?

Should I as Virus said, spar with multiple opponents? When I grapple or spar MMA rules should my main focus be going for submissions and positions that allow me to be very mobile? If I get a take down (in sparring), should I attempt to get up and get away instead of attempt to getting a submission or GnP?

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 8:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    Let's say I was already a badass MMA fighter, how should I train to apply my skills in a Self Defense situtaion?

Should I as Virus said, spar with multiple opponents? When I grapple or spar MMA rules should my main focus be going for submissions and positions that allow me to be very mobile? If I get a take down (in sparring), should I attempt to get up and get away instead of attempt to getting a submission or GnP?
    If you have them in lets say...an armbar.
    You break the joint then run away.....Thats how you apply submisions to t3h str33t.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 8:16pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_990
    My instructor does mention quite often that sub X is good in the ring, MMA, on teh street, or only for grappling trounaments, etc etc ... or not good in the above as the case may be...
    Hmmm, get a new instructor? Seriously people, there shouldn't be any difference between the training done for 'the street' and the training done for 'training'. As soon as I hear the 'well this would only work in competition' bullshit leave a trainers lips I start to question them. Its essentially a cope out. Its like the higher rank you roll with who looks at you after getting pimped for 10 minutes and says, "Well I was just rolling for position!"

How do you train for 'the street'? You train, as JKDChick points out, as 'alive' as possible. Why the **** would I want to train something if it only works 1 out of every 50 times in competition. What the **** good is that in a tournament or on the street!

TKD

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 8:19pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So while a fundamentally true answer, i think it's kind of hollow. Yes, that's the way you train for ANY kind of fighting, but to say which aspects of the training you emphasize are going to change for the venue you're fighting in is disengenous. I would train for a MMA match and a kickboxing match with good footwork, maximal aliveness, etc. This much is true. But to say that the training for the MMA match doesn't differ substantially from the boxing match would be pretty damn retarded. just like it would be pretty dumb to say that differences in the venue weren't dictating the differences in those trainings. If someone competent is training police officers in defensive tactics it should look pretty different than training them for UFC, even once we introduct high levels of contact.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 8:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    Hmmm, get a new instructor? Seriously people, there shouldn't be any difference between the training done for 'the street' and the training done for 'training'.
    What about the cross body armbar / juji gatame? How good would that be in a self defense situation doesn't that leave you in bad postition? (on your back). I don't think it's a very mobile position.

I'm not saying it's a bad technique or I can kick someone in the face when I'm put in one, I'm just wondering if it's the best technique to use when I am trying to defend myself.
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 10/03/2006 8:26pm at .

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 8:24pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I would work a lot of circling footwork with multiple opponents, trying to keep the miniumum number of guys with position to attack me. I would definately work my ground control from the idea of a GNP position that I can easily get up from. Side control would especially have to be modified. I would work live weapon retention with a pepper spray can against a guy with some goggles(and i would say this is probably more useful that shooting at a range, as the distance most violent attacks will begin with tend to render the gun a high risk unless you can detect the threat way ahead of time and it's okay for you to draw on people on suspicion). I would work STAB or a program similar to the Dog Brothers die less often tape, and i would work it a lot.

Just opening thoughts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 8:28pm

Style: PTK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    learn to use a weapon
    learn to be good with it
    learn to draw it from any position or angle
    learn how others will use their weapons
    learn to deal with those weapons
    learn to hide the weapon from view of police and the general public

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 8:42pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about the cross body armbar / juji gatame? How good would that be in a self defense situation doesn't that leave you in bad postition? (on your back). I don't think it's a very mobile position.

I'm not saying it's a bad technique or I can kick someone in the face when I'm put in one, I'm just wondering if it's the best technique to use when I am trying to defend myself.
    Hmm, well it was a toss up between breaking his arm or throwing the ever devastating palm to the nose!

No I don't think that's a bad technique when it accomplishes what you want which is to disable an attacker and buy yourself time to get away.

I'd rather be on my back (where I can stand up quickly) than on my stomach where I can't see what's going on around me. You?

TKD

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 9:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    QUOTE=TKD Black Belt]I'd rather be on my back (where I can stand up quickly) than on my [stomach where I can't see what's going on around me. You?

TKD[/QUOTE]

I don't know, I guess being able to see what's going on is better than mobility.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 9:13pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mental aggressiveness and street smarts (in particular, the later). He who lacks those is at an abysmal disavantage when **** hits the fan no matter how much he trains.

You have to have it very clear that as a man, if you ever encounter a S/D situation on the street, it's 99% chance you fucked it up somehow and didn't keep your eyes open... really. For women, it's a bit different since most S/D situations will involve a surprise attack of some sort. For women is about not letting themselves be perceived as victims (unless the abuse is within the family... a pretty fucked up situation for any woman to be in.)

But for men, most of the time, it's about not being fucking stupid. Most attack on men are in clubs (ergo, bouncers and LEOs seem to have more experience on the subject.) Never go alone in a freaking desolated street in the middle of the night, or worse, never get drunk outside of your house, and never go alone to a nightclub (specially if you are not one of the club recurrent patrons or if it's a skanky club without any form of dress code.)

If you keep that in mind, that's the beginning of street smarts, the equivalent of keeping your chin down in boxing. That is the beginning of training for S/D. Without that, you got nothing other than a bull's eye painted in yoru forehead.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast