Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,069
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The odd name comes from 1940's slang. It was common in the UK and amoung the allies to add the letter 'O' at the end of a word. Hence Combato and Defendo, both styles of fighting taught to service men and women before going over. There is sufficient evidence out there to see the evolution of these styles through the war, and how the techniques changed as men returned from the battlefield with "This is what worked" stories.

    Similar things go on in each war, anyone see the recent US Army Combatives championships?
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    291
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Despite the McDojo/RBSD marketing, I've heard Wolfe's is a legit school, but maybe over-priced. There's a former K1 champion who trains there:

    http://www.blacksniper.com/northshore0604.shtml

    ...and Dennis Kang, who is a very highly ranked MMA fighter with Pride, apparently got started there before moving on to BJJ.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    566
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What soured me on Defendo was the initial ad I saw for it years ago. In the ad Bill Wolfe was standing contemptuosly with his arms folded and underneath it said "Alright now, let's cut the crap.....". The subtext of this is that everyone is teaching crap but he's now ridden in to save the day. It was just typical, pure, TRS style RBSD marketing BS. Maybe the stuff he teaches is good but the way it was/is presented screams hype.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,069
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewa
    What soured me on Defendo was the initial ad I saw for it years ago. In the ad Bill Wolfe was standing contemptuosly with his arms folded and underneath it said "Alright now, let's cut the crap.....".
    Check out any issue of grappling mag, you'll find this same add style with the picture of a current UFC champ - arms folded etc.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    759
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Fairbairn snag most of his ideas from Cold Steel?

    TKD
    OK, you're wrong. Fairbairn began his jiu jitsu training in 1908, put out his first self defense manual in 1915, developed Defendu (published in 1926, re-published in 1931 as Scientific self defense)taught the Shanghai police, designed the knife that bears his name, retired from the Shanghai police force at age 55, then taught the British, Canadian and American troops during WWII, as well as publishing his books Shooting to live, All-in Fighting, Get Tough and Hands Off! all before Cold steel was published in 1951. John Styers knife training comes from Anthony-Drexel Biddle, who admits to a large Fairbairn influence in the 1944 edition of his book Do or Die.

    NONE of which has anything to do with Modern Defendo, as there is no connection between what the Wolfe brothers do and anything from Fairbairn or Styers.

    Defendu did not become Defendo, no matter how Wolfe tries to spin it.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    8,750
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Check out any issue of grappling mag, you'll find this same add style with the picture of a current UFC champ - arms folded etc.
    Let's see, proven champion, winning in a full contact enviroment, with a fully resisting opponent...

    OR

    RBSD Hyperbole that training in Defendo will make you bad ass, because they say so.

    Pretty clear cut, eh?

  7. #17
    Neildo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    6,045
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin
    OK, you're wrong. Fairbairn began his jiu jitsu training in 1908, put out his first self defense manual in 1915, developed Defendu (published in 1926, re-published in 1931 as Scientific self defense)taught the Shanghai police, designed the knife that bears his name, retired from the Shanghai police force at age 55, then taught the British, Canadian and American troops during WWII, as well as publishing his books Shooting to live, All-in Fighting, Get Tough and Hands Off! all before Cold steel was published in 1951. John Styers knife training comes from Anthony-Drexel Biddle, who admits to a large Fairbairn influence in the 1944 edition of his book Do or Die.

    NONE of which has anything to do with Modern Defendo, as there is no connection between what the Wolfe brothers do and anything from Fairbairn or Styers.

    Defendu did not become Defendo, no matter how Wolfe tries to spin it.
    Awesome post.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    8,750
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin
    OK, you're wrong. Fairbairn began his jiu jitsu training in 1908, put out his first self defense manual in 1915, developed Defendu (published in 1926, re-published in 1931 as Scientific self defense)taught the Shanghai police, designed the knife that bears his name, retired from the Shanghai police force at age 55, then taught the British, Canadian and American troops during WWII, as well as publishing his books Shooting to live, All-in Fighting, Get Tough and Hands Off! all before Cold steel was published in 1951. John Styers knife training comes from Anthony-Drexel Biddle, who admits to a large Fairbairn influence in the 1944 edition of his book Do or Die.

    NONE of which has anything to do with Modern Defendo, as there is no connection between what the Wolfe brothers do and anything from Fairbairn or Styers.

    Defendu did not become Defendo, no matter how Wolfe tries to spin it.
    If I remember right, the Fighting/Combative instructor from the movie "The Devil's Brigade" was based on Fairbairn.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    291
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin
    NONE of which has anything to do with Modern Defendo, as there is no connection between what the Wolfe brothers do and anything from Fairbairn or Styers.

    Defendu did not become Defendo, no matter how Wolfe tries to spin it.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was even operating a Hapkido school back in the 1990s, and I've heard what they teach now is actually okay, but is essentially a mix of kickboxing, submission wrestling and some trad. jujitsu style 'self-defense' techniques. Alll the 'Defendo' hype is pretty clearly a McDojo marketing gimmick, even if their training itself is supposed to be allright.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chilliwack, BC
    Posts
    132
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJR
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was even operating a Hapkido school back in the 1990s, and I've heard what they teach now is actually okay, but is essentially a mix of kickboxing, submission wrestling and some trad. jujitsu style 'self-defense' techniques. Alll the 'Defendo' hype is pretty clearly a McDojo marketing gimmick, even if their training itself is supposed to be allright.
    So it's basically an MMA school pretending to be for 'teh street'?

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO