223534 Bullies, 3621 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 2:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A collection of old-school vids of Jack Johnson and Jack Dempsey

Youtube has a lot of awesome old-school videos, I've been gathering together a collection and figured others would want to see them.

JACK JOHNSON:
    Knockout power in either hand, awesome hand speed, excellent defense, lots of ring savvy, and could mind-**** with the best of them. One of the greats.

Jack Johnson vs Jim Jeffries

This is a great vid although it doesn't show Johnson at his best due to all the clinching. It does show his fighting style pretty well however in that he was a big trash-talker (Muhammad Ali was inspired by him a lot) and had excellent defense.

Some training of Jim Jeffries, then Johnson vs Jeffries

Joe Choynski, his trainer, was never more than 170 pounds but routinely fought heavyweights. Notice their footwork, a lot more fluid than many people believe. Choynski's jab might look a bit familiar to fencers, as one comment mentions (though he called him Corbett and not Choynski). Otherwise same fight, but with a different commentary and more video.

Jack Johnson Montage

I get a kick out of how he laughs or grins whenever he takes a good shot. Lots of good footage here.

Jack Johnson vs Jess Willard

Definitely not one of Johnson's bests. He gets KOed by Willard, though he always claimed it was a set-up. Johnson always had trouble with opponents his size or larger, as they could match his strength.

JACK DEMPSEY:
    My all-time favorite fighter. If you don't know about him, you don't deserve to live.

Jack Dempsey vs Jess Willard

Wish this was in English. One of the most brutal beatings ever in boxing. Dempsey at his best.

Jack Dempsey vs Gene Tunney

Still a controversial one to this day. Tunney trained for six long years to beat Dempsey. If it wasn't for the rules change, Dempsey might have won but as it is Tunney became champ.

Jack Dempsey vs Georges Carpentier

Two great boxers, one great fight. Carpentier never really had a chance.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 2:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hope you guys like.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 3:23pm

Style: KARATE / MUAY THAI

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, thanks. Love the old school vids...

('._.)

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 5:21pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jack Dempsey was the most badass boxer ever. Perhaps not technically the best, but definatly the baddest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 5:41pm

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRK_wir1GQw

Nice clip of two great old middleweights Mike Gibbons vs. Mike ODowd. Gibbons was more of a welterweight really. Unlike most old Boxing footage which is usually very choppy and blurry this one is of very good quality this is probably some of he best old footage that Ive seen.

This clip pretty much destroys the myth that the old school fighters were crude plodding stationary targets that only threw one punch at a time. Its hard to believe that it is from 1919. If you didnt know any better it could easily pass for footage from the 50s and 60s. Hell if it was in color it could just as easily pass for modern footage.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 6:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for that. Dempsey really lays a pasting on poor Willard in that fight. Definitely a hard hitter. Notice how alot of those old school guys kept their hands so low...
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 6:55pm

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ
    Notice how alot of those old school guys kept their hands so low...
    Quite a few modern fighters leave their guard fairly low at times also. Here's a very good article concerning Boxing Strategies, Styles etc.:

"The Development of Boxing Strategies, Styles and Techniques During the Gloved Era to Present--Part 1"

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/hunnicut1.html

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 9:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just took a look at the Jack Johnson clips. I would love to spend a week at the central office of "The Ring"magazine and view the archives tapes for fights like this..., thanks so much for putting this up.
    I am sure that I recently heard rumors regarding the production of a movie about Jack Johnson .. does anybody know anything about this? Considering his importance, not just as a fighter but as a significant figure both culturally and historically,I think it is high time a good film was made about him.
    Last edited by OZZ; 10/04/2006 10:11pm at .
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 11:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    James Earl Jones did a Jack Johnson movie years and years ago. If their making another, I'd be damn interested.
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

('._.)

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 11:58am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OZZ I think you are confusing him with Joe Louis, Ive heard a movie about him is in production now. A Jack Johnson movie, The Great White Hope came out over 30 years ago.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast