224971 Bullies, 3330 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 8:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Do You Think About Quitting?

This question is mainly for people that have been training for a few years.

I've been training for about 7 or 8 years. First with traditional MA's, and BJJ for the last couple of years. I've always considered myself pretty serious about training. I've always loved it. When I'm not doing it, I'm thinking about it or reading about it, or watching it on TV, or reading threads on this website.

But something hit me a week or two ago. It was basically just out of the blue. I was at home, and I pulled my guitar out for the first time in a while. I was sitting there playing, and I thought to myself, "Hey, this is a hell of a lot of fun. I'd rather be doing this than training."

So, I started thinking about what I'm doing and why I'm doing it, and to make a long story short - I started thinking about not training anymore. It's not about laziness. I've dealt with that and I know that passes. But in the past, even when I felt lazy, I always WANTED to train. I've never questioned whether I WANTED to be training until now. I've questioned whether I wanted to be training the way I'm training, but never whether I wanted to be training at all.

I turned 30 recently, and I don't know if my interests are just changing, or what. Anyway, I know that ultimately it is my decision whether I continue training or not. But I am curious to know if others who have been training for a few years have ever felt like this and how it turned out for you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 9:06am

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, I'm 5 years in at 29, and I started to get a little burned out. Then I started to train for san shou. Then I broke my foot and had surgery. Now, I just want to be able to get back into shape and figure out if I go back to training or just doing it for leisure.

(edit) sorry, I've got no real advice to give you, being in a similar boat and all
    Last edited by isol8d; 10/03/2006 9:09am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 9:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Devil,

I thik you should do what it is thatmakes you feel happy. But, do it with the mindset that what decisions you make today, may have an impact on you tommorrow. I personally bothers me to quit thing. This is why I make my decisions wisely on the activities I choose. The exception would be: If I quit the current activity for a better one, a "trade up" that is fine.

As you know, the choice is your's. And most choices are subjective. And I am sure you will make the right one. It would but the hell out of me to be close to getting a BB from a good instructor, good school an good system and stop anything less that that. Or when MA came up in conversation telling people I studied but stopped for "X" reason, and at "X" belt.

For what it is worth,

LG

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 9:56am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sometimes feel the same way. I'm 32 with 14 years in. I have found what works best for me when I start to feel like I don't want to train anymore is to either take a month or so off then go back and see if I feel the same way, or change my training regiment to something else that is kind of new and different.

I did some grappling for a while but noticed that I got burned out on it very quickly and discovered that I just did not like doing it. I went back to doing MT and Kung fu and have been relatively content since. So much in fact that I have actually began grappling again once a week.

Just try a couple changes in your routine, if you find that it doesn't help or after time off you come back and still don't feel like doing it, it might be time to find something else.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 10:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you training for competition, for fun or for health? Maybe just train less or change the focus.

I enjoy training now more at 34 than I ever have.

When training becomes work it's time to take a break

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 10:54am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quilting

Strangely enough I live in the quilting capital of the world . So yes , I occasionaly think about quilting .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 11:03am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the Thritysomething Club.

As for training just like the guitar you might fight it fun again. There is nothing wrong with taking a break from something. As others have said life is short, you're not getting younger so enjoy it.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 11:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 29 with 16 years in. I almost quit when we lost our daughter in December. However, I found that I needed training to keep my sanity.

Perhaps you need to find another art in which to train. Liven it up a little. It's like changing up your weightlifting routine. Something has to motivate you to train--health, sanity (or lack thereof), competition, fun. You have to train with a purpose (or purposes).

Best of luck.
    Jkdbuck76
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Its the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 11:41am

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You only have so many years before your body will stop cooperating and simply fail, leaving you cold at the bottom of a hole with a priest lamenting about how much you loved life (then comes the dirt). Keeping that in mind, you should only strive to do what you WANT to do. If you don't feel like doing MA now, then don't, and if you catch the itch sometime down the road, do it THEN.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 11:44am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like time for a break dude. We all needs breaks and temporary departures from one thing or another. That's how you recharge your mental batteries.

It could also be that you are in your 30's ( as Asia said, welcome to the 30-something club :tongue3: ) That's when we all start re-evaluating the stuff we do or don't do - jobs, hobbies, relationships, etc. Plus, if you have been doing something for quite sometime, no matter how much you love it, your mind and body will ask you (or at least make you wonder) to take a break and see what else is out there.

Go with the flow and see where it takes you :)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast