218288 Bullies, 9298 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First Class1 year registered10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    9/15/2006 8:36am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pilates Style Core work?

Any of you guys who are Amateur/Semi-Pro MT or MMA fighters use pilates style work for your Core work? Stuff like the Plank and its variations? Have you tried it in the past and found it less effective than other types of core work or does it mesh well with your other core excersises?

Also, opinions on the best weighted and unweighted core excersises?

Thanks,
    Kintanon

Light Heavyweight

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/15/2006 9:22am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gravity boots or inversion table.

External obliques, torso flexion *and* extension quite easily nailed. No spine stress, or discomfort from the ground. Straight and to the point.

I'd hesitate to add significant weight (to yourself), however.

Booyah.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2006 11:15pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes. im a boxer though. an injured one. when im NOT injured, pilates is a very good freind of mine. There are prob about 4 pilates excercises i do, in addition to crunch variations and leg raises, but i dont know the names of them.

plus i like to use a 'fit-ball'

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/16/2006 11:43am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yoga!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 6:44pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Pilates as we see on TV now is to take money from middle aged women.
    It's not for fighters. I am sure some Pilates exercises are good, but for fighters there is better stuff.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 9:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, anything you see on TV and most DVDs are for middle aged women. There is even "yoga for busy people", "yoga for dummies" and "yoga in 5 minutes". BAH!!! Real pilates is a bitch to do, and it can be incredibly expensive since pilates is supposed to be done with a particular set of equipment.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 9:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, anything you see on TV and most DVDs are for middle aged women. There is even "yoga for busy people", "yoga for dummies" and "yoga in 5 minutes". BAH!!! Real pilates is a bitch to do, and it can be incredibly expensive since pilates is supposed to be done with a particular set of equipment.

*** EDIT ***

****, I pressed on save before completing what I was typing. Anyways...

... a cheaper alternative for martial artists is to take yoga. There are actual Yoga DVDs that are not watered down, specially David Swenson Ashtanga series or Karen Voigh's combinations of Yoga and Pilates. It's even better (and also affordable) if one can enroll in an actual Ashtanga, Bikram or Iyengar yoga class.

The end result is pretty similar in the long run IMO.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 9/19/2006 9:59pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 6:35am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yoga booty ballet. Anyone? If you know the infomerical I speak of, just nod knowingly. Mmhmm.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 8:19am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Proper Pilates, as was done by the man himself, is a hour to hour and a half of non stop ab exercises 3 times a week. Thats why it should only take a week to feel difference. The exercises are not the difference, its the long length of time he did them that was.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 10:57am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got Ross Enamait's book (http://www.rossboxing.com/), and he has an excellent series of low-buck and very productive core workouts (not to mention just about everything from conditioning to strength training). It's all based on the needs of combat athletes, his experience, and LOTS of references to real sports medicine studies.

It's real tough, but I am digging it. His book was about $40 and he has an active forum for any more questions. Not to be a commercial or anything, but I can't find anything bad about this guy and his workouts are kicking my ass.
    Last edited by Carrera26; 10/04/2006 2:19pm at . Reason: edit for spelling
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast