Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 4:49pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Totally Awesome Choke Re-counter

So we're clear, a re-counter is a counter to their counter. I stole the word from Stephan Kesting.

If you've been following along with this series, you would have seen the basic rear collar choke, the totally awesome bow-and-arrow choke and the basics of back control and using monkey feet.

Let us now return to the bow-and-arrow choke, only this time there are complications. You'll often run into a problem when you go to spin out for the choke.

Everything looks good: they're on their choking side, I've got the collar, I'm gripping the knee and ready to spin. But one big problem: my bottom leg is trapped.

As you can clearly see from this side, my bottom leg is pinned to the floor. This prevents me from spinning out like I need to.

This may happen when you're going for the choke when you've already rolled them to their side. Or they will often try to escape this choke by driving their back to the mat. Or both. Regardless, you need to correct this before you can finish the choke.

To free my leg, I pull their knee towards me to lift their hips as I take out my hook and bring it under their body.

Alternate angle: You can see me sliding my leg out from under their body. I am pulling their knee up to raise their hips and take their weight off my leg.

As my leg comes out from under them, I'll drive forward and push their knee away so I can come up to my knee.

Once I'm on my knee, I'll slide it up towards their head.

From the other side, you can see that I am stepping on the floor with my left leg for base. All of my grips are still in place.

A detail I worked out recently was to hide my elbow inside my knee and pinch it to the back of their head to prevent them from pulling my arm over their head.

I sit and throw my right leg forward.

I pin the shoulder and trap the arms with my legs. Finish like usual.

Huzzah.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 4:55pm

Style: Jiu-Jitsu, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you think about your opponent getting to his knees and try to push through it? I know it would open up for a potential triangle, but there doesn't look like he has alot of options from there...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 4:59pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He can't get to his knees as long as I hold his pants. I can also switch to an armbar or triangle at any moment. And I can just take his back again if I really feel like it.

He's basically just screwed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 5:02pm

Style: Jiu-Jitsu, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahhh - I missed the pants grab - thanks.

Didn't think it had much of a chance (if you either didn't have the pants, or lost the grip), but I did figure this was likely a "he's screwed" position.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 12:54am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used this several times tonight. Each time my training partner was severely disoriented since it feels like they're escaping and my hooks are coming out, then I'm suddenly jumping into the choke again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 9:26am

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    He can't get to his knees as long as I hold his pants. I can also switch to an armbar or triangle at any moment. And I can just take his back again if I really feel like it.

He's basically just screwed.
    Admit it...you just like making people your bitch, don't you?