Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 8:00pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata
    That's particularly retarded because there are exactly zero "u"s when you transliterate it properly. (I know the BJJ folks spell it the way they do out of tradition).
    Well yeah, that and its a freaking Japanese word translated into english for crying out loud! Helio could have added three y's and a few numbers and it would still be the same thing that the Goshin Ryu guys don't teach!

TKD

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 9:31pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Goshindo

Most sensei using the go shin terminology are jujitsu types or karate/jutsu hybrids. Basically you could have a MMA, use Japanese terminology and a junior/senior rank structure and legitimately refer to your style as goshindo or goshinjutsu ( meaning way of self defense/self protection.
    KB

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 9:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata
    That's particularly retarded because there are exactly zero "u"s when you transliterate it properly. (I know the BJJ folks spell it the way they do out of tradition).
    ]
    Even in transliteration you still will have two "U" s. It would be JEEYU JITSU or JIYU JIYUTSU.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 11:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a friend who still may teach Goshin, he is from Penn. area and studied directly underMaster Durant. He know lives in Texas and has lives in Texas for many years. What little I know about Master Durant is that he was a questionable/ ecentric figure. As far as my friend, all I can say is he is solid and it does appear to be more Tachiwaza (stand-up) and a bit of ground work. There is a strong Karate influence with pretty solid self defense. The Kanji for Goshin does not brea down as stated earlier bLordAsia. I think we are discussing homonyms. Go meaning soft and shin meaning mind. The different Kanji that is used, is poly slyabillic and is Goshin, meaning protector. This is one of the differences in the Chinese spokenandthe Japanese spoken, Chinese is mono slylabillic,whereas Japanese tends to be polyslylabillic.

As far as my friend, he has since begun to study Kenjutsu under some Sensei who is a retired Border Patrol agent. I have seen his basics and they seem solid aswell. I digress...

Use what you find of this information as useful and the rest, you can flame me as usual to no obvious effect.

Sincerely,

LG

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 12:26am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lovegod
    The Kanji for Goshin does not brea down as stated earlier bLordAsia. I think we are discussing homonyms. Go meaning soft and shin meaning mind.
    You sure about that?

What kanji are they using for GO because I can't think of one with a reading of GO that means SOFT. GO as used in GOJU RYU Karate means HARD but that a totally differnt kanji.

The different Kanji that is used, is poly slyabillic and is Goshin, meaning protector.
    Protector in japanese is SHUGOSHA and the GO used is the same as I stated before that means to protect not SOFT. Can you post the kanji that is used?
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 1:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lord Asia,

I truly and deeply apologize. I was working on my computer sending out proposals and responding to this site, (poor multi-tasking). I am truly tired and I realized that I had made a mistake. And you are correct. Goshinho is self defense or protection as stated earlier. I may have some of the Kanji from some of my old patches. But I am sure there are more easier available sources for you to ascertain what you already know.

Again, I apologize.

LG

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 1:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, I noticed that you and Prhost are military may I ask what branch you are and your MOS? I noticed that Prhost is or was 95B, or what was 95B in my day.

LG

P.S.

Thanks for your service to our country

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 2:45am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    Even in transliteration you still will have two "U" s. It would be JEEYU JITSU or JIYU JIYUTSU.
    What is the kanji/katakana?

Is it: 自由 = じゆう = "jiyuu" = "free" or = じゆう = "jiyuu" = "gentle"

and = じゅつ = "jiyutsu" = "skill/practice"?

Pronounced: "joooo joots"?

Thanks.

--J.D.
    Last edited by Doctor X; 10/03/2006 2:47am at .

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 8:40am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bah, I'm a retard. I meant zero "i"s. 柔術 = Jujutsu/ juujutsu. 柔 = juu (gentle), 術 = (jutsu) [martial] art. We don't usually care about lengthened vowels in English, so it becomes jujutsu mostly.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 9:20am

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Listen we could have this same discussion regardless of which word in another language we were discussing. Due to the fact that most languages do not have set templates for how their words are to be translated into other languages (outside of perhaps corporately controlled words and phrases, although I understand "I'm loving it" doesn't translate well in one Asian country) the translation and subsequent spelling of the word becomes subjective to a degree.

Although the translation is usually corrected there does exist a certain amount of social biases that come into play and affect the understanding of the word within the culture and society it has been translated into. It is with the spelling that the greatest variance does occur. In this sense the same word can have multiple spellings but with only one intended meaning. It is the BS artists of the word who will then manipulate the spelling in order to repackage and sell their particular brand of crap.

* end rant *

TKD
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast