Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 2:42pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Who are these Guys??????

http://www.mastershalloffame.com

I heard it was some type of hall of fame. It looks to me like an ad for class rings.
    Has anybody here ever heard of any of these people? Is it somewhat legit?

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 3:15pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well unlike other Hall of Fames you can't nominate yourself, you can't buy your way on, and the rings are optional. I know about a dozen members on there all of them quite respected although I know one that I'd like to take a bat to.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 3:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Omega. I guess the the guy that sells the rings is as good at what he does as the guys in the photos. "You have earned your way in so now buy my ring".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 3:53pm

Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was started by Steve Spry. I've heard he sold the event a couple years ago. I was on the first years board of directors, and resigned after that.
    It was the typical, nominate 5 friends, they pay $250.00 for the Banquet and award, they bring friends who pay $65.00 a piece to attend.
    My biggest problem with it was the money angle, I didn't know in the beginning that the nominees were being charged $250.00.
    Second, the board of directors was supposed to nominate 5 people each. So you had board members nominating their own students, some with as little as 2-3 years martial arts training. It was pretty hard for me to watch some 23 year old shodan walk up for a award right behind great martial arts pioneers like Fumio Demura, Robert Koga, and Sonny Gascon.

I've been told that the new event owners have changed and improved the event quite a bit now.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 4:03pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop
    It was started by Steve Spry. I've heard he sold the event a couple years ago. I was on the first years board of directors, and resigned after that.
    It was the typical, nominate 5 friends, they pay $250.00 for the Banquet and award, they bring friends who pay $65.00 a piece to attend.
    My biggest problem with it was the money angle, I didn't know in the beginning that the nominees were being charged $250.00.
    Second, the board of directors was supposed to nominate 5 people each. So you had board members nominating their own students, some with as little as 2-3 years martial arts training. It was pretty hard for me to watch some 23 year old shodan walk up for a award right behind great martial arts pioneers like Fumio Demura, Robert Koga, and Sonny Gascon.

I've been told that the new event owners have changed and improved the event quite a bit now.
    Are you John Bishop?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 5:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    Are you John Bishop?
    Yes, I am

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 12:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless it is designed to be a profitable honor. why pay for an award? I comend you for not wasting your money.
    Sounds like a the citizen of the year awards you can win for a slight donation. Yuk!

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 12:58am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wouldn't you know it, I know one of them hall o famers!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 2:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Wouldn't you know it, I know one of them hall o famers!
    There are many excellent martial artists in this hall of fame, and many others. But since most of these fee based "halls of fame" are profit oriented, a lot of marginal or even inferior martial artists are inducted.
    What normally happens is a highly qualified martial artist will get a nomination, look at the fee, and tell himself something like "I'm not paying to be in a hall of fame". And then some of his students will hear about it, take up a collection because their instructor deserves to be in a hall of fame. So instead of making his students feel foolish because they dont recognize the true intention of the event, he says "thank you" and attends. And of course many of the students also attend, so the event turns a pretty good profit.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 2:29am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Indeed.

--J.D.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast