Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 1:42pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Back Control and Monkey Feet

Leo Kirby, a purple belt in South Florida, and I have been conspiring to breakdown Marcelo Garcia's game from the back. Leo has been to four seminars and done like 16 hours of private lessons with Marcelo so he's got more hands on experience with what I'm going to share. I picked up a lot of the same points from watching footage of Marcelo competing and watching him roll at the seminar.

Here's the basic formula: When you've got the harness, the arm that's over the shoulder is the "choking arm", the one that will attack the neck. You want to roll them to the side of the choking arm. And you only really need to worry about keeping the hook in on this side.

So what can you do with the other hook?

From watching footage of Marcelo competing and observing him roll at the seminar, I've picked up several options. Leo has confirmed these and given more several more. You will see Marcelo constantly working on his opponent with his free leg, busily hooking and dragging and locking it all over the place.

Here are the tricks we've gleaned thus far.

You can take it out and step on their hip to monitor it. You could even take it out and step on the floor to shrimp back and keep your hips free.

When you've got someone like this, one of their main escapes will be to try to roll to the other side and drive their back to the mat as they turn to face you.

When the bridge to try to do this, you can put your hook behind their knee and lift, preventing them from turning.

I don't use this control much, but Leo was adamant that I include it since he says Marcelo will do this a lot and RNC from it. The bottom hook goes really deep and the free top hook triangles around the leg with it. It's like a backwards half guard, and it'll be familar to anyone who likes the twister. Leo says that Marcelo will get this when people are trying to scramble away. He does a really strong "cobra stretch" by driving his hips in and arching his legs back. He does this same stretch from this position or with both hooks in when he's finish the RNC or any rear choke.

I have shown this last bit once before but I figured I'd include it here too for the sake of completeness.

The top hand gets a one-on-one on the wrist and pushes it down towards the hips.

The knee comes down on the elbow and pinches the arm to the body, pinning it.

They will usually straighten their arm while trying to free it.

Which gives you an opportunity to throw your leg over the arm and hook it. Now that arm can't help defend their neck.

I actually just go straight to hooking his arm without breaking it down or pinching the elbow with my knee, but those are needed if they are keeping it well hidden from your hook.

Happy hunting.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 10/02/2006 5:04pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 2:18pm

Style: Jiu-Jitsu, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use the one that is third down in the set, the one that Leo said to include. I find that with that position, you can hook the side of the neck and rotate your upper body to twist the spine of your opponent. We termed this 'The Twister', not sure if it's the correct term or not, at my club we go for stupid names so that they are easy to remember :)

That is of course providing they don't try to turtle, but that sets up for the RNC as stated before...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 2:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Busy Feet reminds me of that movie "Best in Show" with Parker Posey freaking out with the "Busy Bee!!!!", "DON'T YOU WANT YOUR BUSY BEE!!!!!!".

Feetlers sounds original though. Last week my instructor had us working on taking the back from turtle by rolling into it. We then modified it to scoop the arm with your foot/ankle prior to the roll (similar to a crucifix set-up) but rolling to the back to a RNC with the "feetler" already hooking the arm.

The half-guard type lockdown thing from the back looks almost identical to the leg positioning of a twister, is that accurate?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 2:29pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty much.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 3:05pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to a Roy Harris seminar this weekend, and he focused a lot on working from the back (the rest was taking the back, and some pressure techniques from sidecontrol).
    He didn't catch the arm the same way (he lay on the other side), but when he did catch it, he brought his leg behind his opponents back and (as far as i recall) his heel towards his hip in order to trap it fully.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 3:13pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like this?

Last edited by Aesopian; 10/02/2006 3:19pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 4:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bingo.
    That arm is trapped tight as ****.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 3:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Bjj/Machado/Pittman

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my god its beautiful.

Just yesterday I was bitching to my friend about how I got two people's backs for the entire round but could never finish them because I could never immobilize them and they could always pull my hands away when I went for a choke. I was going to ask an instructor about it but that looks like the perfect solution.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 3:30pm

Style: Jiu-Jitsu, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey rino - I find as a general rule that if I get someone's back, regardless of what else is going on keep your hooks in deep, just follow them where ever they go and you shoul be able to get the choke eventually.

Even if you don't get both hooks, keep those knees pinched, it won't hold forever, but will keep you a lot tighter and therefore hard to remove.

Good luck!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 4:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should still be able to keep backmount even though you lose your hooks.
    Keep your chest tight to his back, and raise his elbow with the arm you're underhooking with if he tries to turn in, and work to regain your position properly.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast