New York, New York - Moy Yat Ving Tsun Kung Fu
This school, which also has another branch in Flushing, Queens, is run by Moy Yat's son, Mr. William Moy. William is an incredibly patient teacher who is able to put up with just about anyone.
- Comfortable relaxed 'family style' atmosphere.
- Technical details of the style are top notch.
- Students are encouraged to think for themselves.
- Sticks to the basics of the style allowing students to explore and play of their own accord.
- Requires a student to have a higher than normal degree of self initiative.
- Ving Tsun is a horribly maligned style, many times for good reasons. Both the good and the bad are on full display here.
I thought this school closed down, it used to be in Flushing in a large building but then it became a hotel/restaurant.
What sort of classes are offered at what times?
Originally Posted by Jobe_x
They moved once 10 years ago, but even the previous location was not in a large building. However, I made a mistake above and said "Flushing". (I have no idea why I wrote that above.) They are in Bayside.
The Queens location is still in the same place it has been for several years: 20102 Northern Blvd, Bayside, NY 11362 Tel: (718) 229-5585.
The Manhattan location is still in the same place it has been for decades: 45 East Broadway, New York, NY 10002. Tel: (212) 964-2306.
They have classes in Manhattan Mondays Wednesdays, and Fridays from 7-9pm, and in Queens Monday Through Friday. Queens also has two Saturday classes from 11am - 3pm. They would prefer you to call first to set up a definite time, but walk-ins are allowed.
Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
Pros: William Moy is patient, dedicated, and an all around good guy from my experience. The school is well disciplined, and takes everything seriously.
Cons: As with every Kung-Fu school, be prepared for some of the usual Kung-Fu community politics. The Moy Yat family is very big, and there are many schools in the mix.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO