Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Infidel

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 9:04pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you guys hunt deer do you kneel down or go into the prone position when you shoot them or do you stand up?
    Does it boil down to the deers range?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 11:09pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark
    When you guys hunt deer do you kneel down or go into the prone position when you shoot them or do you stand up?

It just depends man...........if you're hunting deer with dogs you'll usually be snap shooting i.e. an offhand shot and even with a shotgun using buckshot it's still a hard shot..(them damn deer can haul ass when them big hounds get hot on em......yet another reason to use beagles for deer hunting if you want to run dogs) .........the best advice I can give you is know your distance and know where your rifle shoots at various distances.......when you get a shot make sure to get as steady a rest as you possibly can .......

MississippiRed

Virtute et Armis

Infidel

Posted On:
    11/28/2006 11:00am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I won't be hunting anytime soon.
    I used to hunt a lot (rabbits squirrel birds, basicallyblowing away anything that moved) until I was fucking around with a buddy and blew away a baby duck (by accident while aiming for the mother) The power of having a gun at 16 with no respect for life :)

After that I quit hunting all together, now I just target practice. I humored my dad a few years ago when he wanted to go deer hunting with crossbows so at 4:30am I found myself sitting atop a pile of logs freezing in the rain (carrying a POS walmart crossbow while he had some highspeed low drag exocet bow that could probably stop a truck).
    I thought **** this, I can sit in the freezing rain at work.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't think hunting is wrong at all, quite the opposite. I think it's vital for the economy and more importantly the ecosystem, I just didn't have the respect for nature back then. Now I lack the spare time plus I probably wouldn't eat whatever I shot so again it's a matter of respect.

I always wondered why when I saw shooting on TV the deer hunter would shoot standing up, the least stable firing position. But I guess with deer it's a matter of seconds before they notice you and take off. Kneeling down or laying down would be too noisy? And the deer are usually within 200meters anyways?
    How do dogs play in the picture?
    Do the dogs chase down the deer and finally attack it when the deer gets tired out or do the dogs try and coral the deer back towards you or out towards other hunters set up in a kinda ambush? The same way you'd flush grouse?
    I know bear hunters use dogs to tree a bear but I can't see a deer climbing a tree.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    11/28/2006 11:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like Red said, it depends on the situation. As for deer hunting, for the most part, we stand hunt white tails here in Texas (yeah, I know, kind of lame - but pretty much all hunting in Texas is on private land and they parse out the leases pretty tight, so its mostly a safety thing with having safe fields of fire), so my position is sitting on a camp stool with my elbows on my knees. When I do spot and stalk, its pretty much snap shooting in offhand (i.e. standing), unless I've heard something moving my way and manage to take a more stable position. Of course, I've only been deer hunting a few times spotting and stalking and haven't shot any deer yet doing so (I did get a squirrel offhand from 50yds once, though, on the last morning of a weekend hunt just as I was calling it a day). I shoot high power and service rifle competitions, so feel pretty comfortable shooting offhand.

Duck and geese hunting is a whole other story. That usually entails getting up at O Dark Hundred and wading across some semi-frozen rice paddy to set up in a muddy ditch adjacent to it and waiting until after sunrise for the flocks of ducks and geese to take off for the day and start looking for places to land and feed. Usually go from a prone to a kneeling position, unless I'm in a nice warm (relatively speaking) blind and am already sitting on a stool or bench.

Coyote we usually call to us and shoot from position, usually standing with rifle propped across the hood of a pick-up or on top of a fence post.

FWIW, in Texas we're only allowed to use dogs to hunt hogs or as retrievers for birds. The animal rights groups are always trying to ban the use of dogs on hogs, but they never get anywhere with it.
    Last edited by TEA; 11/28/2006 11:35am at .

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    11/28/2006 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You must remember too that what you see while standing you may lose by kneeling or going prone, so if the hunter encounters game while standing, a-standing it will be.

A lot of this is regional, too. People who hunt in places where 100 yards is considered fairly easy range and 200 is not out of the question probably spend a little time getting a better position if they can, but where I am, I have a stand in thick timber and a shotgun with slugs. I sit literally 50 yards from a fence line, and I don't have permission to hunt on the other side. I don't think I've ever taken a shot longer than 50 yards.
    So I shoot from a rest if possible, and if not, I'm generally either standing or sitting--and because I shoot around trees and brush, I almost never fire from one of the classical rifle positions. We don't use dogs, so if you get a snap shot while walking brush it's likely to be 20 yards or closer--but that deer will disappear in the wink of an eye!

I had an old Texas hand tell me once that stand hunting is undignified and he prefers to stalk. Well, he has a ranch in the high desert where his thousands of acres connect to Big Bend National Park. I have permission to hunt a section of a farm--and I can walk across that section in less than 20 minutes. Stalking a whitetail across it is out of the question.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 1:40pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always wondered why when I saw shooting on TV the deer hunter would shoot standing up, the least stable firing position. But I guess with deer it's a matter of seconds before they notice you and take off. Kneeling down or laying down would be too noisy? And the deer are usually within 200meters anyways?
    How do dogs play in the picture?
    Do the dogs chase down the deer and finally attack it when the deer gets tired out or do the dogs try and coral the deer back towards you or out towards other hunters set up in a kinda ambush? The same way you'd flush grouse?
    I know bear hunters use dogs to tree a bear but I can't see a deer climbing a tree.

To answer a few of your questions........the game you're hunting and their position relative to you, whether they're walking or running, standing still etc etc will dictate how and from where you have to shoot.

I've killed deer from 8 feet away out to about 75 yards and that was a combination of standing, sitting ....the last deer I killed this year was going away uphill at about 50 or 60 yards and I was sitting down when I shot him .........

As to the dogs.......they strike the deer up.....they're hounds so they find a fresh scent trail and they push the deer (make them get up and move around ) and hopefully go by one of the standers who take up position at various deer trails and , funnels and other escape routes.....so in some instances the shots come fast as with lond legged hounds,

If you're running beagles they tend to push a deer slower so you usually have a bit more time to make the shot....same as using hounds to hunt rabbits and such

MississippiRed

Virtute et Armis
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345