Sponsored Links Spacer Image

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    10/01/2006 10:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess Shuma and Aeso can add me to the list also.Here goes.

Hey ,SimonBelmont!

Did your instructor at least have the decency to give a reach around while he was on your back?

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    10/01/2006 10:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool write up. Never heard of the 1 year white belt granny thing. I can tell you that I've been able to tap higher level Judo players and I can pretty much own the hell out of JJJ people althought one guy got me in a pretty good leglock; they do however always try to grab my toes, fingers, and pinch my "ki" centers to disrupt my chi or some ****. Whatever, I usually armbar or triangle choke them after that. The fact is, as long as whatever martial art you was doing had some sort of a ground game that you practiced with full resistance, you should be able to keep up. However keep in mind that depending on school, 75-90% of all mat time is spend doing ground techniques. This is the reason why you do find 1 year white belts(I'm an 18 month white belt by the way) laying out some major ownage.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2006 11:59pm

Style: BJJ boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samfoo
    Hmmm, so there are lots of "politics" in BJJ. So? Unless he's misrepresenting himself or portraying the school in a bad light, how is this relevant?

It's understandable that you don't "type" you life and "doings" on the internet, but I hardly think that telling us which ef'ing school you reviewed is going to reveal the hidden location to the bat cave.

Out of curiosity, what experience level do you have in BJJ?
    I am not the one who reviewed a school. if you see my post count, I am not interested in intraweb argueing. I gave my opinion. you don't need to agree with it. K?thxbye

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 3:13am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi all thanks for all the input. I'll try to answer your questions as best as possible:

1. I didn't include any names because basically I want to be as respectful as possible of the school and the people who run it. It is a legit school (definately NOT bullshido) and I want to have a future training there. I simply feel that it would be rude to drop their name online without asking permission. Maybe they don't care but maybe they do. Besides the purpose of this forum is not so much to review the school (after all I've only been there once) but just to give other non BJJers who are considering BJJ my impressions. Walking into some of these schools can be kind of intimidating and having a rough idea of what to expect may help.

2. No I did not roll with the guy at the counter but it turned out he was the chief instructor of that school. I think he was just behind there checking out some administrative stuff. Later on he was showing some of the white belts how to do a proper standing guard pass. I'm a pretty confident person but I can say with 100% certainty that if I rolled with that guy he probably would have flattened my like a pancake in the time it takes for the average person to blink.

3. I have no previous BJJ experience.

4. My instructor never taught me any "Ki" stuff (don't even know what that is). He was taught by Willy Cahill who in addition to being a 10th dan in jiu-jitsu (I believe his is the DaitoRyu style that originated in Hawaii) is a 7th dan in Judo and coached the U.S. Olympic Judo Teams in 1984 and 1988. So his background is very functional. I had the honor of having Cahill show me some stuff once and I can assure there is no BS in what he teaches. My instructor does what I think is a good job of integrating Judo and Jiu-Jitsu technique into his curriculum. Strictly fundamentals for example of the 40 judo throws he only teaches 10 I believe. I was simply hungry for more and after much research BJJ was the logical answer because there is a good number of BJJ schools in SF.

5. I feel like there is some censorship going on in DHS. My impression is that they don't like anyone expressing an opinion unless they're BJJ. They certainly like to selectively delete posts that don't follow their agenda. I don't really care that much it's just a disappointment. People should be allowed to speak on forums. If they're wrong you have all the right in the world to tear them a new one but selective deletion of posts and threads is just weak.

I like BJJ. I wouldn't be joining one of the schools if I didn't. It's effective and the training style is more aligned with what I was looking for. It is, however, definately very ground centric. I don't think it is the answer to everything but I willing to spend the time, money, and energy to find out for a fact.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 10:10am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonBelmont

4. My instructor never taught me any "Ki" stuff (don't even know what that is). He was taught by Willy Cahill who in addition to being a 10th dan in jiu-jitsu (I believe his is the DaitoRyu style that originated in Hawaii) is a 7th dan in Judo and coached the U.S. Olympic Judo Teams in 1984 and 1988. So his background is very functional. I had the honor of having Cahill show me some stuff once and I can assure there is no BS in what he teaches. My instructor does what I think is a good job of integrating Judo and Jiu-Jitsu technique into his curriculum. Strictly fundamentals for example of the 40 judo throws he only teaches 10 I believe. I was simply hungry for more and after much research BJJ was the logical answer because there is a good number of BJJ schools in SF.
    My fault if it sounded like all JJJ guys did the Ki/Chi stuff. It just so happens that the JJJ guys I roll with learn that and believe in it and try it. I guess it's actually a good thing that they not only roll but they actually try it out(it sucks when they try grabbing my toes and fingers though). This way they see that if this stuff doesn't work while rolling, chances are it won't have much of an effect in a real fight.

If the JJJ club was as good as you hint your instructor at being, I would be training there as well as the BJJ club. However, since I'm doing Judo at the university and both BJJ and Judo come from JJJ, I figure by combining them, I'm probably getting what I need. I do like the idea of only teaching a few throws and only the throws that flow well from one to another. If you can start creating combinations early on then you will be brutal later on.

Again, great write up.

Judo: the anti-trapple

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 10:19am

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the "one year granny" thing is a bit of hyperbole that ruins the whole tone of the review. Sounds like someone got their JJJ feelings hurt by something on BS.

I don't think there are any grapplers here with more than a few months experience who think there is no way to defeat a BJJ white belt. You're a two year judo man for ****'s sake, you shoudl be able to tap some BJJ whites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur AMP
    You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 12:22pm

Style: Jiu-Jitsu, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but what is DHS?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 12:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Goldman
    I think the "one year granny" thing is a bit of hyperbole that ruins the whole tone of the review. Sounds like someone got their JJJ feelings hurt by something on BS.

I don't think there are any grapplers here with more than a few months experience who think there is no way to defeat a BJJ white belt. You're a two year judo man for ****'s sake, you shoudl be able to tap some BJJ whites.
    Yeah you're right. I lashed out a little but mostly it was just as you said: hyperbole.

Don't let it confuse my intentions though. I have a great respect for the art and it was my intention to take it way before I first registered with this forum. BJJ came highly recommended even by my own instructor. In fact, I registered with this forum to learn more about it before I got into it. I got alot of good infromation but was also turned off by some of the attitude.

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 1:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_990
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but what is DHS?
    Department of Homeland Security. It's the grappling subforum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 1:17pm

Style: Jiu-Jitsu, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome - thanks Tenebrous!
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast