Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 10:44am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty much since I've been on this forum and other's I've been trying to find out about different weight lifting options for martial artists. As many of you know one of my priorities had been to maintain the strength I gained prior to joining MA's. One avenue I've tried to follow was to determine what pro-mma fighters do; unfortunately there has been a serious lack of this sort of information.

In the September 2003 issue of Muscle and Fitness the cover story concerns the UFC and also details some of Frank Mir's fitness routine. I'll try and post a review of the article as a whole later but here is his fitness regime (minus ma work):

Cardio (not including sparring):

Run 2-4 miles, 2-3 times a week followed by 5-10 40 yard dashes (sounds like an american football regime)

Lifting: 4 Days a week, divided into Push, pull, legs and isolate groups.

Day 1 Push
    Exercise_______________Sets__________Reps
    Pushups as a warm up
    Incline Bench press 3 5-6
    Arnold Press 3 5-6
    One-Arm Dumbell Chest press 3 5-6
    Close-Grip Bench Press 3 12-15
    Lying French Press 3 12-15

Day 2 Pull
    Pull-Up* 4 10
    Lat Pulldown 3 15
    Standard Deadlift** 4 5-6
    Bent-Over Row 3-5 5-6
    Barbell Shrug 3 5-6
    Barbell Curl 3 12-15

*2 sets hands facing forward, 2 sets reverse, basically pull and chinups
    **1st set warm-up with light weight

Day 3 Legs
    Barbell Squat* 3 5-6
    Walking Lunge** 3 5-6
    One-Leg Stiff_Legged 3 5-6
    Dumbell Deadlift

*Jumps up and down off a bench
    **Varies direction of lunges, sideways, forward and back

Day 4 Isolation
    Works particular muscle groups based on their soreness (and hence lack of comparable strength) in his gross-action lifts. Does hip-flexor, bi and tri work etc.

I actually really like this work out. I think it shows a good combination of high rep type work and low rep strength building. While I don't typically like these sorts of split (bis&back, tris&chest&shoulders) this one seems well put together. One other aspect of the workout I also like a lot is the modification of exercises for a martial artist: ex. One-Arm Dumbell Chest press, variable direction lunges.

Like I said I'll try and post a review of the article as a whole in the GD section but felt this was a great addition to this forum.

***EDIT***The jumping up and down mentioned in the leg workout is between sets (I'm guessing its just plyometrics)****

Edited by - Dochter on July 16 2003 18:32:23

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One-leg stiff-legged dead lift?
    And jumping off a bench for your barbell squats?!

I'm not familiar with those...sounds dangerous actually.

Although I appreciate the application aspect of the training, my symmetrical-training aesthetic is highly offended by any single-side activity.

I have to say, Doch, the limiting factor I've found in my training is that I simply don't have the energy to give to 4 hours of training several days a week. Especially not now with work and travelling. I get my 2 hours a night in and I'm fairly happy, maybe 3 some nights. I think you could maintain your strength AND gain MA skill/power, but it takes more time than each individual activity if you're going to do them concurrently because the body doesn't have the same resources to build all the new muscle, etc.

There are limits to the human body. Unless you're on a special diet, special supplements, or outright on drugs, I suspect you're simply topping out.

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Good is the enemy of Great" - T-shirt seen on Queen Street, Toronto
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 6:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I think the limiting is time (for me). Otherwise I know and agree with what you're saying. I'm pretty happy when I get 3-4 days (~1hr) in lifting 2-3 days cardio work in (~1hr) and 3-4 days MA (~2hr) a week, unfortunately that doesn't happen much anymore. I actually haven't been able to run that schedule for a couple of months but plan to get back to it.

I mainly posted the info because it gives a good idea of what a pro-Ma'ist does for strength training, information that is sparse elsewhere (there is another REALLY good article on the Ultimate Athlete website).

My single chopstick is bad at serving soup, cutting steaks and basting roasts and chickens. Besides that it owns.

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 8:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, thanks Doch.

Mir is by far my favourite UFC fighter.
    If you could give a review of the rest of the article, that would be cool (it takes a while for the US mags to get here)

CT:
    One-leg stiff-legged dead lift?
    And jumping off a bench for your barbell squats?!
    I'm not familiar with those...sounds dangerous actually
    Yeah, these are extremely advanced.
    Not recommended at all for the average person as chance of injury is way to high.

Mir is (I think) a 6'4" and 250 lbs athlete. Not the average person at all...
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 9:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Note the edit, Mir jumps up and down onto the bench *between* sets. Plyometric addition to the work out (that is plyometrics right ForM).

My single chopstick is bad at serving soup, cutting steaks and basting roasts and chickens. Besides that it owns.

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 11:53am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OOHH! Ok, that makes more sense, to circulate the quads.

I realize that those techniques are for advanced trainers. But I also would be surprised someone who relies on their muscles and health for their career would really risk that. I don't think most of us are "average" physically either (depending on the individual I suppose). I know I'm probably more advanced than about 80%-90% of people out there in my training. (or at least I WAS...LOL!)

Still, thanks for the post, definitely a good one. I'll have to do some searching for other relevant info. Great thread, Doch!

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Good is the enemy of Great" - T-shirt seen on Queen Street, Toronto
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 7:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dochter - yup.
    Although personally I feel silly using scientific sounding terms like plyometrics to describe box jumping. Technically you could call skipping rope 'an advanced plyometric cable exercise' if you wanted to :)
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    7/24/2003 3:10am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha, I always tell people that I'm going to lift heavy things and then put them back down when I'm on my way to the gym.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2003 9:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't forget adequate time to recover between days. That routine looks brutal.