Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    10/01/2006 11:11am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New York, NY - Oishi Judo Club

Shiro Oishi, a Shichidan who received his black belt from the Kodokan in the late 1960s, runs a great Judo club with a relaxed atmosphere. He does this while still managing to retain a modicum of formality. Overall, the instruction is technically oriented without intruding on the sheer 'fun' factor.

Pros:
    - friendly, relaxed atmosphere.
    - Large variety of students from Olympians to 'soccer moms'.
    - Safety is constantly stressed.
    - Excellent Ne Waza (for Judo).
    - Individual class sizes range from 10 to 30 students.

Cons:
    - Relatively expensive (but this is NYC, after all).
    - Current facility on the small side for larger classes.

NOTE: Check out the 'Blue Judogi' page on Shiro's website to get a feel for his sense of humor.

Please also note the ratings system is not indicative of my opinion of this club. This is a great club for anyone who wishes to explore Judo. In my opinion, the club deserves higher marks. However, due to the nature of Judo, it cannot receive them under this system.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 10/02/2006 11:55am at . Reason: Tweaking the ratings to better reflect my opinion.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 8:57pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my opinion Oishi's has a certain quality to it available no where else. Its a combination of everyone being very happy to be there, enjoying what they are doing, and training very hard. Regardless, if you have considerd Judo for any reason, go and check this place out.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/19/2006 10:41am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have heard nothing but great things about oishi sensei, and have sent several people to this club to try judo.

one note about the ratings... if there is next to no striking or weapons instruction i believe you can put n/a and that field doesn't get counted towards the total... therefore increasing the total score.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    10/19/2006 10:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    one note about the ratings... if there is next to no striking or weapons instruction i believe you can put n/a and that field doesn't get counted towards the total... therefore increasing the total score.
    I am aware of this; I've done exactly this on other reviews. However, a complete Judo curriculum, as Shiro teaches, includes striking and weapons. Regardless of the weighting the art of Judo itself gives to the importance of striking and weapons, I consider it to be improper to artificially inflate a score just because the current rating system has a difference in weighting bias.

And, if you don't like what I've done, post your own rating. (You have gone to a class or two at his club yourself, haven't you? :smile:)

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    ATTN TOM KAGAN

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/19/2006 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry tom, just showing more of my ignorance of judo in assuming that there is no striking or weapons work.

actually i have never trained there... but my siifu did and my sijeh who i run my current school with did take a couple classes there. they are on the short list of places i want to train at, right behind the straight blast gym at fighthouse (which will take priority - hoping to start going there within a month.)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 6:36pm

Style: BJJ, Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have actually sat in on a class there myself though it was on a David class. Pretty much what you stated. Intense warmup. If you want "alive training" especially when it comes to throws (gi), this is the place. Unfortunately, one guy got his knee busted (or so it appeared to me) during randoori but that is the flip side of alive training I guess. They have an interesting way of doing newaza. Rather than face each other on their knees, they start with their backs to each other sitting down.

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 10:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebrand
    Rather than face each other on their knees, they start with their backs to each other sitting down.

This sounds as if it's just a drill to force people to work a better scramble.

One of the characteristics of a good club that I've observed is that, within a properly defined framework, there is a lot of variance in the particulars of what is worked on from day to day, week to week, month to month, and so on. One or two classes are only a microcosm within a larger macrocosm. It would be no more fair to the club to fully judge at such a "snapshot" and conclude that's the way they "do" Ne Waza than it would to judge the 10-20 people you saw that class are the only people who train there even though the club has an order of magnitude more active members than the number who show on any given day/week/month.

It's kind of like what Ming Loyalist did: Especially when viewed through a snapshot, it's kind of hard to believe Judo has striking and weapons, but it does. The art just doesn't put much importance on these aspects, and hence to see it trained is very rare.

(Whether Judo training of these matters have merit is another subject entirely. However that discussion, in part, depends on the importance you would put on these areas. :smile:)
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 10/26/2006 10:47am at .

ATTN TOM KAGAN

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2006 10:53pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Joint injuries happen periodically in Judo, particularly if you don't pay attention to your conditioning and flexibility.

I trained at this dojo for a few months in 2002. I liked it a lot and think it is probably the best overall Judo school in Manhattan if you're looking to train in a serious, competitive but cooperative fashion. The school puts a fair emphasis on ne-waza skills that are sometimes supplemented with conventional wrestling. I never made it to the saturday Jujutsu classes but Oishi mixed in a bit of it in the Judo class from time to time for those interested and it typically covered the joint locks typically barred from Randori practice and some set up ideas. You get a lot of rotation in the people training there, some with decades of experience in Judo including Olympic level and others coming from different martial arts.

If you're serious about Judo and want to train in Manhattan you'd be hard pressed to find a better school in a more convenient location.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 1:34pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a link for videos of training at the Oishi Judo Club.

http://www.youtube.com/andylee63

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    5/08/2007 3:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats to Sensei oishi for his promotions to 7th dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
    2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
    The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
    Get with the times and punch a chick.
    Wingchundo's response after I called him a "*****"

Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast