software engineer

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 1:25am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by machrider
    Actually, hold on a second. I found another banana style heavy bag for the same price at Ringside. This one is made out of "Powerhide" (whatever the heck that means).

Now, I don't know which one to get.

Here's the one made out of "Powerhide:"
    http://www.ringside.com/detail.aspx?ID=25814

Here is the one I mentioned earlier made out of "synthetic leather:"
    http://store.titleboxing.com/title-c...heavy-bag.html
    The construction of these two bags is almost guaranteed to be the same quality -- low, but still passable.

I wouldn't be surprised if these two bags are the same thing, even if they are listed as different dimensions.

This just came to mind -- how are you hanging it? Are you planning to buy a frame, or do you have an honest-to-goodness
    beam to hang it on?
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 2:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Did...did Kungfools just help out?
    I figure, just put the money towards your local YMCA as I had. That way you can avail yourself of the facilities other equipment (such as weights, treadmill) and other activities (basketball, racquetball, the pool).

Just don't break their heavy bag as I did, otherwise it will take them 2-3 weeks to put up a new one. :eusa_doh:
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 6:23pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have that Ringside bag and it's a good bag, I've had mine for a couple years now and it's holding up real good........

Just remember that bag is gonna be heavy and you have to hang it somewhere that won't only just support the weight but the stress of that heavybag moving around and swinging putting more stress on whatever you're using to hang it..

as was said above though if you haven't had any training at all and don't know how to use the bag yet get some training first it'll save you injuries due to bad technique and will keep down the number of bad habits you could develop from just going it on your own....

Good luck with that

Red

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 8:30pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/06/2006 6:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a regular 100lb. TKO bag that works great and I think it was only like $60.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/06/2006 6:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well actually any 100lb bag would be fine in my opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2006 6:54pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The breakdown:

Canvas bags tend to last a while, but they are very abrasive on the knuckles and any other surface, which will make a difference if you plan on kicking this bag much.

Vinyl bags are usually the cheapest in terms of construction, but they aren't (as) abrasive as canvas.

Power hide and Synthetic leather seem to be the same thing. (Could be wrong.) Generally one step down from:

Leather bags. The most expensive and longest lasting of the bags.

Given your newbness to martial arts, you may wish to purchase a bag that is soft-filled to avoid wrist and ankle injuries. You will want to tape your bags early to prevent the filling from either sinking to the bottom or flying out the top. Alex's coach is correct, you'll be making many mistakes early on and you'll keep them if you don't get a coach. Your hands will be too low, you will breath through your mouth, you won't keep your chin down, you won't throw your hips into your punches, and you will drop your hands when recovering from a punch. Accept this, it's the fate of all people new to the sport. Good luck on finding a gym and a bag. :icon_thum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12