Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 10:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Heavy bag questions.

I want to buy a heavy bag but I don't know which type to get. I think I'm going to use it mostly for punching, but I'd like to practice kicking as well.

I was thinking about buying this one, but I'm not sure if it's any good:
    http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0007ZF4XG

Not to mention, that's a banana bag and is much more expensive than a normal one. If I remember correctly, I've heard others on this forum say that vinyl bags arn't that good either. It's also much harder to find in stores. In fact, this is the only one I can find that's affordible.

However, I'd still buy a banana bag because then I'd be able to practice both punches and kicks. Since the normal kind of bag is availible locally at most sports stores and is cheaper, I am thinking about buying a normal heavy bag.

What would be better? If I bought the normal kind of heavy bag, could I still practice kicks on it? Or is the banana bag just better overall?

I was thinking that I could maybe just buy the normal heavy bag and hang it lower or something.

Anyway, I need help deciding upon which one to get. Any suggestions would be appricated!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2006 5:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The primary benefits of the banana bag are the ability to strike both the high and low line in combination, and its smaller diameter allows for simulating clinching with your opponent and throwing knees better.

That said, there is nothing stopping you from kicking a normal heavy bag. You just have to throw kicks at rib/head level. Hang the bag so the top is at head level though, don't hang it low.

Posted On:
    10/01/2006 7:22am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    target sells muay thai bags now? and ive only been gone acouple of months...

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    10/01/2006 8:21am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Kl0wn
    The primary benefits of the banana bag are the ability to strike both the high and low line in combination, and its smaller diameter allows for simulating clinching with your opponent and throwing knees better.

That said, there is nothing stopping you from kicking a normal heavy bag. You just have to throw kicks at rib/head level. Hang the bag so the top is at head level though, don't hang it low.
    This is good advice. It is exactly what I did with my heavy bag. I hung it low enough to allow shin kicks but high enough I was punching the top for head punches.

I got my bag from Sports Authority for $100. Actually I got it cheaper, $80 because they were out and sold me the floor model. I would also suggest gettin g a headache bag. It is a good workout.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2006 11:14am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I just found something better! I found a Muay Thai banana bag (made out of synthetic leather) at Title boxing for $99.99 (excluding shipping). Is synthetic leather a good material (well, is it better than vinyl at least)?

If so, I'm gonna get it!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2006 9:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, hold on a second. I found another banana style heavy bag for the same price at Ringside. This one is made out of "Powerhide" (whatever the heck that means).

Now, I don't know which one to get.

Here's the one made out of "Powerhide:"
    http://www.ringside.com/detail.aspx?ID=25814

Here is the one I mentioned earlier made out of "synthetic leather:"
    http://store.titleboxing.com/title-c...heavy-bag.html

Which one is better? By better, I mean which is more durable and will last longer? If anyone has any other suggestions on what to buy, that would also be nice. I am looking to buy something under the $200 range.

I would just buy a leather bag instead but I can't afford a $250-400+ purchase (including shipping) at the moment. So, I'll just settle for whatever is good enough for under $200.
    Last edited by machrider; 10/01/2006 9:34pm at .

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    10/01/2006 11:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not entirely related but my coach usually advises newbs not to do bagwork on their own until they have a few months experience because otherwise you develop shitty habits which take much longer to break than they did to create. bear this in mind if you are planning on starting a MA (I assume you are)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 1:49pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, you're right. I'm getting ahead of myself. I need to actually start some form of MA training first before buying a heavy bag. I haven't had much luck finding any good places for MA training where I live though.

Hmm.. I'd still like to know what to look for when buying a heavy bag, however. I'll take your advice. I'm not going to buy one at the moment, but still I'd like to know for future reference.
    Last edited by machrider; 10/03/2006 1:55pm at .

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    10/15/2006 12:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by machrider
    Yeah, you're right. I'm getting ahead of myself. I need to actually start some form of MA training first before buying a heavy bag. I haven't had much luck finding any good places for MA training where I live though.

Hmm.. I'd still like to know what to look for when buying a heavy bag, however. I'll take your advice. I'm not going to buy one at the moment, but still I'd like to know for future reference.
    If you're wanting to develop power, always use the heaviest bag you can find, developing rhythm is best with a lighter bag. Ever look into a gym that carries one or both, that way you won't need to worry about buying one.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 12:11am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did...did Kungfools just help out?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast