Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 4:49pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Illinois, Crystal Lake - Curran Martial Arts

This is the school run by Jeff Curran, a veteran of UFC, Pride, KOTC, and many other shows including his own promotion, the XFO. Bart Palaszewski of the IFL also fights out of here, as well as local up-and-comers Nate Mohr and Matt "Sunshine" Fiordirosa.

So the stable of MMA fighters is pretty strong, but that doesn't matter to most of us. The average dude is just going to be in the bread-and-butter Muay Thai class and/or the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu class.

This review is mostly concerned with the JiuJitsu class as that is what I do.

The class is taught either by a brown (almost black) belt, Jeff (a Pedro Sauer black belt), or a purple belt. All three of them are very technical instructors, and are very willing to answer any questions you have during instruction. There is a strong focus on solid fundamentals; my previous school taught many "gimmick" moves, and there are none here. Class sizes are roughly 10-15 on any given day, maybe four of whom are colored belts. The training atmosphere is very relaxed. We are told frequently to take it easy on our training partners and make sure not to get injured.

There is a kickboxing class that meets almost every night. I have never participated, but from what I have seen they do fairly intense conditioning. If you want, you can also arrange a private boxing lesson with Dr. Doug Mango.

If you want to do straight up MMA, talk to them about doing fighter training, since that's a separate program from everything else. However, the pro fighters are frequently seen in the BJJ class.

The kid's program looks like the typical "courtesy, integrity, perserverance, self control, indomitable spirit SIR!" class, except they do kickboxing-style pad/bag work. It looks like a really good way to start kids off, and I wish I had the chance to do that when I was younger.

The facilities are very nice: they have a boxing ring, octagon, large grappling mat space, weight/excercise room, and heavy bag area. Pictures of all this are on their website.

The school is definitely recommended; training six days a week (potentially) for $125 a month is a steal in these parts.
    Last edited by IzzyDaHedgehog; 10/01/2006 11:15am at . Reason: GRAMMAR! SHAME ON ME!
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Posted On:
    12/22/2006 12:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

izzy, re:curran

Hi Izzy,

Do you currently go to curran training in crystal lake?

I'm going to start there in the next couple of weeks... wondering what to expect.

I plan on taking bjj and muay classes and hopefully some private training as well.

When i was younger i wrestled a little bit and had a little tae kwon do.. but it was sooo long ago that i'm pretty much 100% noobie

-Brian

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 11:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brisn
    Hi Izzy,

Do you currently go to curran training in crystal lake?

I'm going to start there in the next couple of weeks... wondering what to expect.

I plan on taking bjj and muay classes and hopefully some private training as well.

When i was younger i wrestled a little bit and had a little tae kwon do.. but it was sooo long ago that i'm pretty much 100% noobie

-Brian
    I trained there until early December. I'm sure that you've already gone there and (hopefully) liked it. Sorry for not replying but I haven't gone back to this thread in forever.

The training environment is really nice; though the school is run by a UFC veteran and they have a stable of good fighters (Nate Mohr fought on the undercard at a UFC fight night against Kurt Pelligrino recently), there are also plenty of regular-guy MAists who are in it for fun. Great place, can't recommend it enough.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 7:34am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    izzy, thanks for the reply!

Due to personal b.s. i just stopped going a couple of weeks ago.. here is my quick review of the place...

Team Curran is a GREAT school and I was in the best shape of my life in the short 4 months as I was going religiously. I felt good all the time.. was getting in shape and felt more confident in my ability to defend myself. I would promote the school to anyone/everyone! FWIW when I first signed up I weighed 172 lbs and at my peak shape while there I weighed 150lbs… lost 22lbs of fat in about 4 months of training. The conditioning they provided was great and actually the harder the conditioning the more I felt I got out of class that day.

MOD NOTE: I Changed the font color from Navy to Yellow so people without cat vision could read it, GoldenJonas
    Last edited by GoldenJonas; 6/20/2008 8:19am at .

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 9:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brisn
    izzy, thanks for the reply!

Due to personal b.s. i just stopped going a couple of weeks ago.. here is my quick review of the place...

Team Curran is a GREAT school and I was in the best shape of my life in the short 4 months as I was going religiously. I felt good all the time.. was getting in shape and felt more confident in my ability to defend myself. I would promote the school to anyone/everyone! FWIW when I first signed up I weighed 172 lbs and at my peak shape while there I weighed 150lbs… lost 22lbs of fat in about 4 months of training. The conditioning they provided was great and actually the harder the conditioning the more I felt I got out of class that day.

Goddammit, I'm sorta pissed that you quit. I was hoping you could congratulate Chad for me; I saw on the website that he got his blue.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2008 2:23am

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And now aside from being an awesome school, they're upgrading to a bigger facility. They also have no-gi grappling... and a stretching class, which is cool. I like that they have day and night classes, because I can usually only make the day classes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2008 5:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I figuered I would actually review the school instead of just posting about it. I gave the school an 8 for aliveness because they really stress the importance of rolling but not as much with the MT. Not that it's not available, just not as emphasived. 10 for equip, there's a ring and a cage, gym with treadmills/eliptic machines, wheights, kettle balls, the works. Plenty of pads all that, and they're moving to a bigger place which I can only assume will come with more improvement in equipment and gym size. The only reason I gave an 8 for size is because the classes can get big, and sometimes the entire gym is being used at once. This is, of course, why they're moving to a larger place.
    The instructors are great and there are a lot of advanced students that have been incredibly helpful so far as well. This is Jeff Currans school so the grappling is... well it's some serious grapplin. Aside from Jeff, there's at least 2 other black belts there (I only attend the day classes so I'm not exactly sure) and a the striking is top notch too, there's always experienced MT and Boxing guys around coaching and teaching. A lot of the students there compete too, and private instuction for members is really cheap. I forget how much exactly but it's real cheap, like $30 an hour or something.
    No weapons as far as I know.
    That's all I have for now. I hope this is helpful for someone.
    Last edited by legomepanda; 5/15/2008 3:56pm at . Reason: truth

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 3:53pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish I lived closer to crystal lake, I'm in arlington heights, I would definately join this one if I could

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 6:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure a few guys come from that area. You should come check it out, maybe see if you can get a car-pool going or something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 12:55pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    unfortunately mapquest says it is 45 mins away from my work, I get off around 6 or so, if my schedule changes I will check it out. I could possibly get there for Open Mat
    Jiu Jitsu, sparring on wednesdays, but I don't know, I'd want to do MT too. Do you mix it up different days mt/jj/sparring or stick to one program??
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast