Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 4:38pm

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stop hits in MT

Folks, I'm learning about MT, and I started to post on YMAS, but got my post eaten. In a nutshell, why aren't I seeing lots of "teep to the thigh" happening when one fighter is clearly outmatching another? The MT roundhouse seems vulnerable here if your entry angle is correct, but I never see it.

tnx...

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 4:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    because its a very difficult move to pull off with any kind of success. if you are dominating someone enough to do this there are better things you could be doing.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 5:12pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My whole beef with stop hits in unarmed fighting (as opposed to western fencing) is that in order to pull off a stop hit, you need to have a good lead on your opponent's movement and so either your reflexes outclass your opponent's to a ridiculous degree or you are anticipating their movements very accurately, neither of which happens too often. And because many people either are not trained in stop hits or, more likely, think, as Alex mentioned, that stop hits are not usually the optimal response, you don't see them much.

But that's all theory, I don't even do MT. When I spar it's fairly rare for me to pull off a proper stop hit. Usually against a telegraphed roundhouse.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 9:11pm

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    because its a very difficult move to pull off with any kind of success. if you are dominating someone enough to do this there are better things you could be doing.
    In a ring fight, clearly. How about in sparring?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 9:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sure, theres a guy i train with who is a pro fighter and when he spars with me he does this sort of stuff. but thats because hes fucking around and outclasses me enough that its no problem for him. he never does this fighting an opponent.