Sponsored Links Spacer Image

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 3:15pm

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Belleville, IL - Eastside Shorin-Ryu Karate Club

My first impression was terrible. Offering a weak handshake and a timid greeting, the master of the school (Sensei Bartleman) showed himself lacking in confidence at the very outset of our visit. There was also a dog in the dojo (the school's head BB owned the dog for seom medical reason), and not the quiet kind. I'm talking about a dog who has conniptions every time a kick is thrown... very distracting.

My opinion of the instructor skill level was also terrible. From the very start, the techniques of the Sensei AND his school black belt were appalling. Floppy punches, slow and ugly blocks, and a general sense of amateurish antics were a common theme throughout the night. Neither the Sensei nor assistant would spar, so... yah. No points there.

To top off the already grim situation, one more thing added to the sense of stupidity that permeated the school. There were no students. NONE. Just the instructor and his assistant black belt. All we had to do is look at the sensei, and we knew why there were no students. If you had the desire to make SOMETHING positive out of this review, then you could say that this would give you a very good teacher/student ratio.

If the rest of the dojo hadn't already turned us into non-believers, then the state of the dojo would have been the coup de grace. The floor was laquered hardwood, and not comfortable in the slightest. All in all, it way about a 30x30 training area. The building used to be a dance studio, and it might still have been, because that's all the sensei's techniques could qualify as being: dance moves.

**UPDATE** This school's website is gone, so there is a possibility that the school is no longer open. Doves cry, surely.
    Last edited by Airman Kai; 1/09/2008 12:37pm at . Reason: Additional Information

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 4:31pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha, good write-up. Don't forget to go back and add ratings.

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 4:47pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, where is this? The City/State aren't in the title.

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    10/09/2006 9:34pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah but come on look at all the karate tournaments that dog won

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 9:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kumite or kata? Anyhow, great review. I'm inspired to open up a dojo; I couldn't do worse, could I?
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2006 11:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HA HA HA HA HA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! Gutless wonders like this clown have got no right to teach Karate I find it offensive that he calls what he does Karate. DOG! what the F*** is dog doing in a dojo? What happened to standard ettiquette glad it is happening in the USA and not in the UK. If anyone does no of any classes in the UK where this type of B.S is going on please let me know so i can go and practise mae geri by toe punting the mutt out the f****ing door. Peace! minger007

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 9:24am

Style: BJJ and Westernized TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OUCH! That is pretty harsh. I suspect that school is more of a traditional school. I doubt if they even do spar. I think some of the traditional schools don't usually and when they do they don't wear pads or punch to the head.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 2:09pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    By the way, where is this? The City/State aren't in the title.

That would be Bellville, Illinois in St Clair County. I used to go past that place all the time when I was stationed at Scott AFB.

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 10:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: aiki-jutsu/Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey thanks for the post on this! I was actually looking around for martial arts places around there as I will be moving to that area soon. You saved me a lot of trouble from the sounds! Can you recommend anything else from that area? Thanks!

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 11:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by knuckle dragger
    OUCH! That is pretty harsh. I suspect that school is more of a traditional school. I doubt if they even do spar. I think some of the traditional schools don't usually and when they do they don't wear pads or punch to the head.
    Traditionl karate schools Drill (Kihon), Spar (Kumite) and Kata(Kata). It's actually against tradition to LARP about and preach the "too deadly" rubbish.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast