Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 9:10am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Can't close jaw properly....

I got hooked on my left jaw during sparring today, it was quite a hard hit, and now I can't seem to close my jaw properly.

When I open my mouth wide, there's a pain on the right jaw hinge, and I can't seem to "bite" my teeth properly, if you know what I mean.

Any remedies to suggest (excluding asking someone to hook me hard on my right jaw?)

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 9:24am

Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take an anti-inflamitory drug. I had a friend get kicked in the same place. For the next 2 days he couldn't close his jaw properly. It eventually settled back to normal though.

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 1:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    I got hooked on my left jaw during sparring today, it was quite a hard hit, and now I can't seem to close my jaw properly.

When I open my mouth wide, there's a pain on the right jaw hinge, and I can't seem to "bite" my teeth properly, if you know what I mean.

Any remedies to suggest (excluding asking someone to hook me hard on my right jaw?)
    [common sense]How about asking a doctor?[/common sense]

If it's just swelling, then anti-inflammitories, ice, rest will take care of that, but if there's a serious problem (fracture, dislocation, TMJ, rabies, negative chi/dark side of the force), then that's something the doctor should check out right away.

I'm sure we all know someone that broke/fractured a bone, and didn't see a doctor, now they've got some mutant joint that doesn't "straighten all the way". That would really be uncool if that was your jaw, rather than a finger/toe or elbow (my father-in-law has a sort of bent pterodactyl elbow from neglecting to see the doctor).
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 2:22pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gotta love the ol' "Jacked Jaw".

(DISCLAIMER: If you're concerned, see a doctor)

If you can move your jaw up and down (think robot chewing), side to side (think Quagmire), and front and back (think underbite of doom), then your jaw is probably fine.

You probably got clocked in the jaw with your jaw slack. You said this happened in sparring, so I'm assuming you were wearing a mouthguard...RIGHT?

Do you happen to have TMJ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TMJ

Rather than sift through the medical terminology, ask yourself these questions...

1. Does your jaw "click" frequently?

2. Have you ever had the "Unhinged Jaw" feeling? This happens after opening your mouth REALLY wide (think yawn of doom). If it has happened, then I don't need to explain the feeling.

3. Do you have a bite plate/grind plate for your teeth? Either as a built in plate in a retainer, or a plate you wear at night?

3a. If you don't have a grind plate, have you been told that your teeth are "blunted" when you see a dentist?

4. Does your jaw frequently feel "Tight", as if you need to stretch it?

---If so, you NEED to see a doctor or a dentist that specializes in jaw disorders. They can set you up with all sorts of devices to help you out...though they are frequently quite expensive.

Make sure you ask if they specialize in jaw disorders, as most dentists tend to gloss over TMJ and other issues while focusing on teeth.

---The reason I'm making an issue over TMJ is because I have TMJ...and it SUCKS. I experience what you're experiencing every time I get even a light/medium shot to the jaw.

Do yourself a favor and buy a double mouthguard.

http://www.brainpads.com/

Sure, they're expensive...but they should help you out immensely. Also, several of them have insurance policies that will pay several thousand dollars in dental care IF you screw up your jaw while wearing one.

Hope that helps!

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 2:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to ask you.Not that i think I can help you or anything but getting a doctors opinion is always a smart move.

Do you remember if your mouth was open or closed when you got hit?

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 6:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    Do yourself a favor and buy a double mouthguard.

http://www.brainpads.com/

Sure, they're expensive...but they should help you out immensely. Also, several of them have insurance policies that will pay several thousand dollars in dental care IF you screw up your jaw while wearing one.

Hope that helps!
    I'm sure he was wearing one...right?

Anyway, I agree, you should really invest in a quality mouthguard. Also, I'm stupidly lazy about it, but I believe for the dental insurance that comes with the mouthguard, you have to fill out a registration form and send it in, and it's only good for a year, which means you have to replace your mouthguard every year (not a bad idea, but most people don't do that).
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 8:21pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Swollen, wait till it heals.

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 8:31pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar Wong
    [common sense]How about asking a doctor?[/common sense]
    Because it'll cost me at least $25 a visit.........:(

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 9:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take two tylenol, buy a better mouthpiece, and keep your head moving when in striking range and, your hands up, lol.

All in humour,

LG

punch-drunk

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 10:57pm

supporting member
     Style: SanDa / MMA / Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that happened to me once about 12 years ago, got kicked in the jaw hard from the side and it knocked my jaw out of joint, dislocated or something (technically have no idea what happened, but it wasnt broken)... i couldnt close my mouth for a week and then it slowly went back into place, probably when the swelling went down enough. was sore for quite a while eating certain things, and it clicked for years after that... but now it doesnt click anymore, and i forgot all about it until your post, jeez thanks for the memories...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast