Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 5:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just get rolls of pennies/nickels or a bic lighter and hold them in your fist when you punch the dude's head in.

But you didn't get it from me.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 6:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars
    Ok heres the requested link: http://spytechagency.stores.yahoo.net/defsapglov.html

lol "Phil - esque"? Is that by chance a reference to superfag poser Phil Elmore?

Anyways it appears that I got the spelling wrong in the title of my post. The terminology is "Sap" gloves ..... my bad.

They aren't bag gloves so i don't want them for that, and no I don't want them to hit trees with either.
    Yeah these could go either way man ... They don't look to sturdy nor effective . I was thinking of something built like MMA gloves . I would seriously doubt the effectness of these things ... especialy for the price and the source of the product .

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    I think they're black leather gloves that have a few ounces of powdered lead in the palm. I remember seeing them in the "Spy Headquarters" catalog a longgg time ago.

I'd say they're probably more along the lines of a fistpack then a SAP. Give you a little extra weight in your strikes and probably make your fist tighter since you've got a little something to hold onto.
    Holy Secret Agent Katman ! errr Katwoman ... never mind . Either way I thought you were jesting .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 7:18pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kat aint no joke! She's a warrior!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 11:38am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought a pair of these when I first started my LEO career back in '93. They only lasted about 3 months. I've never seen a pair that lasted. Everyone I've seen tends to rip the threading around the powdered lead and the lead spills out. 'And that crap is messy when it gets on your clothes.

Why did they never try this....

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu/Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Met a couple of bouncers who use somthing similar, keep them as alterntive gloves in there pockets (there already wearing normal leather ones) on rougher jobs. Also seen a kevlar lined version with anti cut parms which could be handy if your working (nothing like just grabbing the blade of a knife to suprise people
    "This won't hurt me a bit..." - My training partner.:new_astha

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 1:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars
    Anyways it appears that I got the spelling wrong in the title of my post. The terminology is "Sap" gloves ..... my bad.
    Yeah. I've never heard sap gloves referred to as zap gloves. That was the likely source of confusion here.

Quote Originally Posted by itsahak
    Everyone I've seen tends to rip the threading around the powdered lead and the lead spills out. 'And that crap is messy when it gets on your clothes.
    Galls Inc. had a pair that used lead SHOT rather than powdered lead. I'd imagine that would hurt...

I have 8oz MMA gloves from Kikskin with gel padding. I also have some custom 8oz MMA gloves from Ouano with the same design as his UFC gloves but with foam and gel. They're both essentially sap gloves (most sap gloves I've seen use 8oz of lead) with better construction (and possibly fewer legal consequences). I've taken some ribbing about using them in class.

Arclight is in the MMA glove business. Maybe, if you ask him nicely, he can have the factory fab a few pair with lead instead of gel or foam padding...
    Last edited by sdave; 9/30/2006 1:08pm at .
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 1:17pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    Oh I found them . They seem to do "burn damage" .

http://www.verminary.com/cyberpunk/dragons.html

I think they should be fine for SD .

LOL. Thats what I was thinking. The last time I heard about them was a roleplaying game.

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdave
    I have 8oz MMA gloves from Kikskin with gel padding. I also have some custom 8oz MMA gloves from Ouano with the same design as his UFC gloves but with foam and gel. They're both essentially sap gloves (most sap gloves I've seen use 8oz of lead) with better construction (and possibly fewer legal consequences). I've taken some ribbing about using them in class.
    Ha ha, I also have the 8oz Kikskin gel gloves. And I also caught some ribbing from others when I was using them. They feel like old tire rubber.

When I saw this thread, though, I thought he was talking about gloves with those stun gun contacts in the thumb and forefinger or something like that. That way when you would grab someone you would shock them as well.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Sin Dios! Sin amos!

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 9:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Starting Over... Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are considered a weapon if you get searched. Usually the law treats them if you had been carrying mace or a extending baton.

They DO hurt to get hit with. I got slapped with one open palmed a bunch of times. Put my head spinning real good.

They DO wear out. See above.

They DO definately slow your punches down.

I DO like them better than a fist pack or roll of change.

Still I DONT like them much. I dont currently own a pair and havent in years. I wouldnt waste my money.

If you can hit somebody with these gloves on, then you can hit somebody with them off. So learn to hit harder without them and save yourself 50 bucks.

Posted On:
    10/09/2006 7:23pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use to sell these when I worked part time one X-mas at a knife store. For about 20-30 bucks you could get some nice leather gloves with 8 oz. of lead shot. The knuckle "pouch" extends over enough area that you can backfist with it, too. Or, as I showed a customer who said he would prefer a blackjack, you could just take them off or out of your pocket quickly and hold it by the cuff and use it just like a sap. I made the sale.

I've also seen in catalogs some that had 16 oz. of steel shot over the knuckles. These would likely do more damage to the baddie and your poor knuckles, but the main downside is that they can't go through a metal detector while stuffed in your pocket like the lead ones.

I remember in Ned Beaumont's "Championship Streetfighting" he talked about making cestus by sewing steel washers over the knuckles of a normal glove. I think he mentions something about having known a guy who sewed them on the inside with the padding (not right against your knuckles) to hide what they were, too. I've often daydreamed about doing the same, only with thumbtacks.

As far as Taser gloves, I've never seen them for sale outside of RPG books, but I do remember seeing a clip of some geek kitbashing the capacitor out of a flash camera and attaching it to copper wires on the outside of rubber gloves. Hmmm, you know, you could then carry a steel pipe wrapped with copper wire and conduct the shock. I know there are electrified water cannons on armored cars the euro riot cops use, I should experiment with something similar using a Super Soaker TM.

Oh, and also; the law, premeditated assault, hate crime, jail, buttsexxors, and uh, how do make shiv?

BTW, here in South Dakota there's a law on the books that if you commit a crime with a Taser they tack on more time. I guess it was meant to slap down smartass criminals who would commit muggings without a lethal weapon and hope for less time if caught. I can't remember a case like that around here in the news ever, though.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast