Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 5:21pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "but those overeager meathead white belts"

Love it, couldn't agree more, of course I'm one of them, rotflmao.

You left out "surprisingly strong until they gas," and the "helpless and prone to injury from the overeager meathead whitebelts who come to class late and haven't runout of steam yet" parts.

I have Harris's "BJJ Over 40" in my library. It's great, regardless of age, although I am the first to admit I am definitely his target audience. At first I thought a lot of the stuff was stalling, but when I watched it again I realized it isn't - so long as you have a follow up move when your partner gets frustrated and opens up. Which I can't do yet, so I guess right now it IS stalling.

I had a long talk with one of my instructors today. He told me basically what G8 said - relax and even let the other students submit me more often, I'll learn more that way. He also urged me to come to more classes, he said instead of getting injured more I'll get injured less, after a short ramp up curve. On the physical conditioning side of things, he didn't think a lot of weights or situps would help, just the classes will help the most, presumably because you always get better by actually practicing the thing you want to do, instead of something else to help you do the thing you want to do. Arghh. I'm NEVER going to get to bed on time if I practice during the week. We have a lot of convenient classes to choose from, but I'll be so adrenalined out I'll just lie in bed with my eyes peeled wide open. :new_uklia

Finally, I watched "Reversal" last night, which is about high school wrestling, and although all the stuff about "pulling weight" was really depressing, they had real wrestlers for all the matches and showed some real wrestling training routines, and it was really an inspiration. Maybe one day bjj will have the same infrastructure and support as other sports, and that's going to be a very interesting day indeed, to see the players that could potentially start to emerge.

Judo: the anti-trapple

Posted On:
    10/01/2006 1:29am

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    9. The "My knee isn't supposed to bend that way!" feeling when a new white belt attempts leg locks without proper training.
    -I have bad knees, so I tend to panic when a new grappler gets a hold of my ankles. I've rarely had blue belts or higher use leg locks on me, and they apply them really slow when they do...but those overeager meathead white belts nearly always play "Spin the Bottle" with my ankles.
    If a white belt grabs my ankle, I just tap. I'm 37 with old knee injuries and do not want to have to take months off training to heal.

As for everything else, ditto. All us over 35 guys at my BJJ club check out what kind of braces each other are wearing to see what subs to avoid. I'll see my buddy with an elbow sleeve and make a mental note not to armbar him on that side. Some nights I might as well wear a fucking wet suit I have so much neoprene on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur AMP
    You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2006 2:05pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How 'bout this one?

We were doing double leg drills, and I'm paired with a little bit overly aggressive white belt.
    Well, the last one he performed on me, somehow, his fist ended up in the lower center left side of my back, which is right where i came down on the mat. It was like falling on a rock.
    It knocked the breath outta me(somewaht). My coach saw me grimace, and promptly asked if i was ok and then said ok enough of this drill. Well after a couple of days i was OK but then i went to a seminar and was fine untill the last hr of 6 hrs. It only got a little tight, so i thought it was really nothing to worry about. Then i got a cold, the day after the seminar, which from all the coughing seemed to aggrivate it but nothing serious. Yesterday(one week after the seminar and a week and a half after the double leg disaster), I sneezed and seemed to have torn the muscle in my back. Now if i cough, breathe, move or god forbid sneeze, it pretty much sends me to the ground.

Any advice on rehab for this would help. So far, hot showers, asprin, and arnica ointment are my main treatments, but if theres anything else that might help this heal faster or help ease the pain, it would be greatly appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sofa
    AKA Gafanhoto

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2006 4:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

On the subject of knees

Or, how about rolling with newer, bigger folks, going from knees who just
    charge and bowl you over. This sucks because sometimes I can't pull
    guard fast enought and my knees stay bent under me as they roll me on
    my back.

My right knee is a bit tricky after popping a few months ago. This of course
    happens when I am allowing newer white belts try techniques, instead of
    me trying to dominate. Ouch...

Posted On:
    10/01/2006 5:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alasaurus- Try either starting or transitioning to combat base immediately after the hand shake.

Keep your good knee on the ground and put your other foot on the ground.

Check out the first frame in Aesopian's "Stupid Simple Arm Drag".

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46505

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 5:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Satori,

Excellent idea! I will try it next class.

Thanks!

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 7:20pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    because, after all, if you're on one knee... he can't kick you in the head.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 10:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G8
    particularly in relation to your #1, but it applies to pretty much everything: fucking relax. unless you're in a formal competition, you're rolling to practice and improve skills, both yours and your partner's, not to "win." if you're constantly clenching your hands so hard that you're losing grip strength, you're way too tense, and it's probably not just your grip. slow down, breathe, lighten up a little, and think about working your game. most of the other problems you list are typical effects of noob spazzing; whether it's you or your partner, or both, whoever's doing it needs to relax, back the **** off, and think a little.
    G8, I have a left side rib injury this time (big surpise, given this thread, eh?) and so I was limited to conditioning and some restricted drilling last night (I started going a second class a week and after this month will up it to 3 a week). So when the class shifted, in the last half hour, to "resistance drilling" (take the moves we've been drilling and fight them out) and free rolling, I was on the sidelines watching. Without the pressure of waiting for the next roll, and lacking the fuzziness that comes with being almost gassed, I learned a lot from just watching.

The newer white belts were on one end of the mat, the more experience white belts together with blue belts and above were at the other end.

Guess what? The newer white belts rolled harder, more aggressively, but mostly more tensely than the more experienced group. The more experienced group could certainly move fast through a transition when they needed to, but there was a lot less teeth gritting, heaving, and "wrassling." (BTW, the "newer" white belts certainly had some technique going as well, it wasn't just "first month" spazzing, it's just that the technique was buried under a lot of muscling and thrashing around.)

So at the end of the day, your post may be the most perceptive and important on the this thread in terms of avoiding injuries. There are undoubtedly "defensive postures" and "protective positions" that can help, but the fundamental issue seems to be one you stated.

Aesopian also has an interesting thread that approaches the issue of rolling speeds and attitudes from the other side - when do you need to be more aggressive. In that thread he talks about the difference between being too aggressive and not aggressive enough. But he also nuances "aggressive," it's not necessarily using more muscle and speed (if I understand correctly) its more a matter of taking the initiative instead of reacting. Sorry I don't have the link! One day this forum needs to have a better way of finding the good stuff....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 11:55am

Style: Jiu-Jitsu, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been experiencing an annoying repeat injury myself. Not sure if anyone else here experiences this or not, but almost every class - or at least once a week I tear the skin off the bottom of my big toes (happens to either foot now and then).

It's not linked to a specific move or set of moves, but it usually occurs when I'm pivoting my feet on the mat for some reason.

Anyone have any ideas how to stop this?

Thanks.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 1:10pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tape your feet (or toes or whatever). there's a 3m nexcare brown stretchy self adhesive tape that works perfectly for securing (and preventing) blisters and such.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast