Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 10:05am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what the hell is a bjj single person form???? :icon_scra
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 10:09am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you, martialartsnoob, for that. What I wanted to write, only better and with a video link.

Do we practice stances? Yes. Would I do a deep horse-stance in a fight? Good lord no. And if I tried I think Sifu Hayes would smack me something fierce for being an idiot. But it does help me to understand my balance, build endurance, etc etc. Training tools only. And training tools that you can do alone, without equipment or a partner, anytime and anywhere.

At what point does a boxer hit in the ring like he hits a speed bag? Why does he shadowbox? Does that make these futile exercises? Nope, but it's the same basic idea.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 11:23am

Style: Judo, Sambo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lets be honest... the kids in those videos would get destroyed by wrestlers and sambo/judo players. Some of the movements in the video are nice, but this video by no means shows a complete grappling art.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 11:40am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmafreak422
    Lets be honest... the kids in those videos would get destroyed by wrestlers and sambo/judo players. Some of the movements in the video are nice, but this video by no means shows a complete grappling art.
    troll.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 2:17pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    what the hell is a bjj single person form???? :icon_scra
    For example a triangle choke drill done alone is a single person drill that works on form.

Im not really referring to form as in the kata sense, but more like how you do a technique form. If a person who does an armbar looks sloppy while doing it, he has bad form for example.

Just semantic really.

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 5:56pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The forms arn't supposed to be translated directly into a fight.

Forms are simply principles in physical action, i dont think they were ever meant to be carried over directly, the prinicple does for sure.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 1:33pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    That's the site of the place I train at.
    The form is a sorta exercise routine based on the applications, rather than the applications being something we 'get from the form' if you see what I mean.
    Just to chip in from my perspective. The form is not something you could reverse engineer to get martial applications from. However, I think this has happened from time to time where a teacher has not really learned the martial techniques and makes up stuff.

I think you can use the form to train *principles* and ways of moving properly within the system. You can also use the form to troubleshoot your martial applications. Sort of like a dictionary. A dictionary is great, but it doesn't teach you how to write a book.

One thing I hear from from hippy tai chi is that if you do the form enough, then you automatically know what to do in a fight. "Sorry you got your ass kicked, I guess your form is not good enough."
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567