Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 9:33am

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tai chi application vid with resistance.

What do you think of this? The video is about 30 mins long but im only interested in the first 5 mins or so.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...tai+chi+tricks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 9:52am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of competition was the video cutting to from time to time?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 10:23am

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, an actual video of real Tai Chi applications in competition. Funny enough, like it was always said, Tai Chi uses a LOT of Shuai Chiao techniques. Very nice, man!!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 10:29am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm very pleased with this video. It certainly shows people going at it alive and without compliance. I particularly like the "knee push" to the inside of the leg. Out of curiosity, I'd like to know the objectives of the competition, or the main strategy of the art.

Is it strictly standup grappling and clinch with the purpose of throwing your opponent. I get the impression that by throwing in this case, it means either throwing to the ground or to push them away from you. KM, any thoughts or comments on that???
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 11:04am

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    I'm very pleased with this video. It certainly shows people going at it alive and without compliance. I particularly like the "knee push" to the inside of the leg. Out of curiosity, I'd like to know the objectives of the competition, or the main strategy of the art.

Is it strictly standup grappling and clinch with the purpose of throwing your opponent. I get the impression that by throwing in this case, it means either throwing to the ground or to push them away from you. KM, any thoughts or comments on that???
    I love it, straight up, dude. I've been waiting to see something like this and all I can say is, "It's about FUCKING TIME!!!!"

The "knee push" that you speak of is called Stance Breaking and is pretty famous within my old school. I brought it up before in other threads in the past. I use it all the time as a means to disrupt someone within a clinch. It hurts like ****, especially if you don't train in Ma Bu/ Squats yourself pretty often. But once you understand the rhythm and effects of each torque, it works wonders (especially when combined w/ standing sweeps in conjunction).

We need more videos like this, seriously. It's a strong start...

Overall, it looks like a general Lei Tai Shuai Chiao match. Points for each fall on your opponent. I'd say that it's more "gentle" than Shuai Chiao as this is based PURELY on redirective force, rather than uprooting leverage.
    Last edited by Killing Moon; 9/29/2006 11:06am at .

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 11:05am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of the moves were Judo-like but without Judo grips, more like wrestling grips, similar to how Karo Parisyan does his throws. It looked cool but it also looked like they were trying to power push some of the moves.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 11:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty cool Kuzushi; off balancing without grip reliance. Definitely pretty cool. Although, at times it did appear that the attacker was pretty off-balance when going for the move which would lead me to believe that you need to almost overcommit to pull it off and there would be a greater likelihood of countering. BUT the competition footage dispelled this presumption a bit.

Definitely a pretty cool find.

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 11:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I might as well go ahead and say it first:

Have we found "Th3 R3aL Tai Chi"?

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 11:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very interessting, A lot of it looks like Greco wrestling with under hooks, cross faces and whizzers.

Not saying it has any direct influence from Greco wreslting, just that there are only so many ways to move a human body using push / pull techniques and that certain stuff gets reinvented all the time especially for no gi style take downs.

Cool find

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 12:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I was thinking Greco-Roman hooks as well. I'd love to learn the gripping and offbalencing aspect of it and combine it with Judo for the no-gi tourny's I do. Also, GoJu, is your avitar from some anime; one involving rings of death? I can't remember the name of it. I watch a lot of anime and I might have seen that. If not, disregard.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast