Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 1:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't posted in a while, but if you hate me after one post, bye...

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Elvis
    You should see 'em. They are SWEEEEEEEEET! :icon_thum

El Macho, post your GhettoBell pics bradduh!
    There you go!!! :)

Frontal/Medial Levering with GhettoBells
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqTFzj661q0[/media]

Lateral Levering with GhettoBells
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlspJAZZcNo[/media]

Ha, you know, I got my idea from those very same links poidog posted. What a coincidence :) The internet is a small universe indeed. I was thinking to fill them up with concrete at some point, but really, it's incredibly easy to wrap ankle weights on these puppies.

So I think that's a better alternative. You put the ankle weights on the clubs, do your reps, and then decrease the weights as you get tired. That's a good way to do pyramid sets :)

ps... I gotta photoshop me a pic of me holding a ghetto bell, just like Arlovsky does when promoting the clubbells... just for kickers.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 3:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, We gotta move this thread to the exercise and fitness section :)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    10/09/2006 7:30pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a ? In the exercise forum we had a thread about how punching with weights actually slows you down, and how plyometric exercies (like clapping pushups) are better. Wouldn't using Indian Clubs slow you down for stickfighting too? Or does the fact that either way you've got weight in your hand make the situation different?

Posted On:
    10/09/2006 9:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^ The concepts are different. You are not using clubbells (or my gettobells) to wack a tire or do sinawali drills. You are using them in precise exercises to build your hand, wrist and forearm strenght, to build support grip strenght (both lateral and medial) and to condition your wrist and hand to withstand torsion along their natural ranges of motion/rotation (that's what I used them for, btw.)

They are also used to build and strenghten the muscles that rotate your shoulders, and heavier versions can be used to build your core muscles.

That is different from doing stickfighting drills with clubbells/gettobells or sledghammers or any other weight attached to (or distributed along the lenght of) a pole. That would be the same as shadowboxing with weights, a terrible idea and a free pass to the world of tendonitis.

The fact that you work on developing functional strenght does not necessarily imply you will lose agility. Having said that, there are exercises and exercise routines that WILL NOT develop functional strenght and may even create muscular inbalances and aggravate pre-existing conditions of inflexibility. A good example is doing barbell rows with the barbell hanging from your fingers (or even worse, with hooks attached to your gloves.)

You can do a lot more reps with a lot more weight than when you try gripping the barbell). That will help develop freakazoid lats, but they won't work your forearms for ****. Strong, functional forearms and grip >>>>>>>>> big lats. That's just one example of exercising gone bad, really fucking bad.

There are exercises that are sound, and others that are not. Pull ups to chest level, bicep curls with an ez-bar, or clubbell strenght drills are among the former. Pull ups behind the neck, bicep curls with a 45lbs barbell or using clubbells as rattan sticks are among the later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12