Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 5:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rope Climbing, your thoughts please.

How many of you climb ropes as an alternate exercise to strengthen grip, and for the needed pulling for grappling? I ask this because I noticed an advertisment for a machine. The Viper Rope pulling machine. Has anyone heard of this, or better yet own one? I also wonder what the cost would be to purchase such a machine.

Your thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

LG

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 5:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, they have machines for everything these days.

I tried googleing that, but found nothing. got a link?

anyways, how fucking lazy and/or stinking rich do you need to be to buy this machine?
    Just hang a rope up and climb it. goddamn!

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 5:34pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't know about a machine, but I've never had a grip as strong as when I was climbing ropes regularly. You could always use the rope attachment on the tricep machine.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 5:36pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah man, you don't need a machine. Foam wraps around dumbbell handles and your regular rops would do (check http://www.grapplearts.com/Grip-Strength-Training.htm). Squeezing and keeping the squeeze on a tennis ball till failure, that's another good way to train your grip.

One thing I've been doing lately is "towel" chin ups. You pass a towel around the handles of your chin up station (or a tree branch), one hand grabbing one end of the towel, and chin up you go.

At first you may want to try with your hands close together, but as you get stronger you can use two towels as handles at shoulder with lenght or more. This is one sure way to develop a good supporting grip.

You can also use a towel around a dumbbell handle, and use that towel to do bicep curls or tricep kickbacks. You forearms and hands will bitch, cry and give up waaaay before your biceps/tricep do. This is good stuff.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 1:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, here is the site. It is an interesting contraption at best. Have a look.

http://www.marpokinetics.com/index.htm

Sincerely,

LG

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 1:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am aware that there may be simpler, or lesser exspensive otion, but I like the ingenuity and also, I miss the days of climbing ropes from the gym. It was a minor...sense of accomplishment, along with the rush of making sure your a$$ did not fall from the rope.

Just for giggles and laughs,

LG

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 3:45am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least the machine prevents you from reaching the end of your rope. . . .

--J.D.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 9:55am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not a fan of the seated aspect. rope climbing should be a full body exercise.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 10:13am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    not a fan of the seated aspect. rope climbing should be a full body exercise.
    Exactamundo. From a seated position, one can only develop the grip, biceps and to a degree, upper back strenght. But there is no chance to hit the core, back, abs, obliques, and even hip flexors (which get involved to one degree or another depending on the position of the legs.)

Now, to be honest, it could be done without sitting (as shown in the vidclip). However, how about climbing down????? Can it be simulated in that machine? The ability to go up and down on a rope is what make rope climbing a bitch. Muscles are involved in a very distinct manner when you go up or down.

So in a nutshell, you do want to run out of rope.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 11:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting point, but...

I remember back in Junior High, and High school. I was a great feat to climb the rope with only hands, something to strive for. It was an accomplishment to climb the rope with feet a dangle, same thing in the military. Maybe, I am the only one who remember this.

I only glanced at the literature of this product but I am not sure if it was an slated as a "total body work out" or did it not present itself as an upper body workout that focused on upper torso and the grip in particular.

Sometimes things that do one thing wel, are not "bad".

LG
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast