Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 12:29am

Style: Muay Thai/Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question about pushups...

This may be a silly question , but I have no real knowledge on the subject. Push ups are an isometric exercise right? Now my question is do pushups actually build muscle weight? I don't know why but I was under the impression that while they do increase strength, actual muscle mass gain was negligible. Just curious as I am trying to lose mostly actual bodyfat, although I need to lose a few pounds if I was ever considering competition PLUS I think i definitely need ot gain some muscle in some specific areas. I just have noticed I have been gaining weight, even though my calorie intake has been decreased a goodbit, plus i've been doing alot of pushups, situps,and running. And doing punching and kicking, jumproping, etc at practice.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 2:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pushups will build Maximum strength up to a point. Beyond that they will develop Endurance strength. Now that's not a bad thing because if your're training for Muay Thai like your style field says, you need alot of muscular endurance and fitness work.

But there are many types of pushups, remember that. Don't just focus on one pushup type, remember to add variety. Regular pushups, diamond pushups, one-arm pushups, reverse pushups, one-arm reverse pushups, handstand pushups, divebomber pushups. Do all of these variations. Oh and the next time someone tells you pushups can't build muscle, ask them to do the following.

20 one arm pushups
    20 one arm reverse pushups
    20 handstand pushups
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 8:02am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whatever...

Look, pushups will not build any muscle mass unless you are horribly out of shape. You need to lift weights. if cost is a problem, you can do a pretty complete traning routine with under $40 in cheap dumbells.

But to lose the fatbody, you need to fix your diet. Diet is 90% of the issue. You must eat a small meal of lean protien every few hours. increasing activity and decreasing calorie intake will make your body hoard fat. not what you want. You can start here for more diet details.
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=856188
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 10:14am

Style: Judo noob, BJJ uber noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pushups aren't isometrics, they fall under a group of exercises called calisthenics, which include situps and squat thrusts. Isometrics is a stretching method where you tense the muscle then stretch it a bit mroe as you relax.
    According to Kurz, you will gain most muscle growth from doing strength exercises where you can do 8-10 reps. Most out of shape people I know can do about 15, so pressups won't build much muscle mass if you've been doing them for a while. To build mass, like others said, lift weights or modify bodyweight exercises so they are more hardcore.

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 11:21am

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On days I work chest at the gym, I like to finish off my workout with this variation of the pushup (just 1 set for as many reps until failure).

Set up 3 chairs/benches in such a way that each hand rests on its own bench and your feet rest on the third bench. This allows you to do the pushups in such a way that allows you to dip below 'ground level'.

Martial and Sexual Artist

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 12:46pm

supporting member
     Style: standup to ground

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Pushup" is rather vague.

Tension is tension, a one-armed pushup will indeed build mass if it is in your hypertrophy range to do them. Handstand pushups are one of my favorites now. I have a goal of being able to do a one-armed handstand pushup.

There are scores of ways to do pushups.

40 bucks in dumbbells won't buy a lot.

If you are going to bother getting weights, start with a 150 dollar 300lb olympic barbell set.

But bodyweight exercises can do everything you need if you research them. There are high-tension ones, low-tension ones for endurance, you name it.

The body counts as a weight btw. Mine weights 230 lb.

Brief list of high tension bodyweight exercises:

Elevated-feet pushups
    clapper pushups
    One-armed pushups
    Dive bomber pushups(not dands)
    handstand pushups
    bridge dips
    side-press style one-armed pushups
    frogstand style pushups
    frogstands
    planches
    one-armed planches
    one-legged squats(pistols)
    pullups

one-armed pullups
    lever pulls
    supine rows
    one-armed lever pulls and supine rows

I love weights and compete in powerlifting, but bodyweights have the tools.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Whatever...

Look, pushups will not build any muscle mass unless you are horribly out of shape. You need to lift weights. if cost is a problem, you can do a pretty complete traning routine with under $40 in cheap dumbells.

But to lose the fatbody, you need to fix your diet. Diet is 90% of the issue. You must eat a small meal of lean protien every few hours. increasing activity and decreasing calorie intake will make your body hoard fat. not what you want. You can start here for more diet details.
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=856188
    PJ is teh correct in this one. Diet will make you or break you.

Lucid1014, How old are you, btw? I ask because age is also a factor in how easy we can lose bodyfat. After 30's, you may want to consider some sort of supplementation IMO.

Pushups will not build a lot of muscle weight, that's for sure. However, muscle weight is just part of the equation. It all depends of what your goals are. If you are looking for shape and size, then you have to lift weights. No way around it.

If you are looking to increase strenght and endurance, or if lifting weights are not an option, you can use push ups to your advantage. Do them a lot, do them often, do them until you can't, do them daily and if you can, by the hundreds. Don't worry about overtraining. This is one of the few exercises you can do until the cows come home where you body recovers pretty well (if you have a good nutrition, that is.)

Combining push ups with road work is one of the easiest and most effective ways to get rid of body fat, get a good definition, and it will build your endurance.

Also, keep push-up simple. Don't try esoteric one hand pushups or one arm pushups. Leave that **** until you are in really good shape.

For now, just do the plain vanilla pushups. Do them a lot, several sets of them until failure with little breaks in between, and do them daily. Even if you are already doing bench presses and dips, keep doing them. You won't get the same chest as Ah'nold in his youth by pushups alone, but they should give you some pleasant, functional results.

*** EDIT ***

Another thing you may want to try are jumping push ups... but that would be later.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 9/28/2006 1:11pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 1:53pm

Style: Muay Thai/Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah thats what I do.. I can only do about 20 straight pushups, but then i can usually switch to like a wide stance pushup and do 20 more. Diamonds are hard as hell for me..

I am 21 years old, and weigh about 260. I'm only 5'11. Now the thing is I have a rather large frame. Not that this means anything but my coach asked me how much I weighed, and I said 260 and he got a really suprised look on his face, and thought I looked 225/230. Which I kinda agree with. I have a back like a bull and a pretty broad chest,not muscular though. My arms are pretty weak, I think 20-40 pushups aren't that much, but then again 260 is pretty heavy. The thing is right at the moment, I'm not really looking to gain muscle weight, i just want to lose bodyfat, and tone the muscle I already have.

As to the diet thing.. 1. I can't really cook, 2. I'm a college student, with a hectic job. 3. I'm kinda broke. Basically I found a site that told me how much calories i need to maintain weight on average, it was like 3500. So basically I cut out about 500 - 1000 calories a day, PLUS 4 nights of intense exercise. Plus I'm taking this supplement called Lean System 7...I read a review about it, which made it sound pretty legit, basically it just raises your resting metabolism, and i drink alot of green tea for the EGCG.

I'm not a nutrionist, so I basically just piled together abunch of things I heard or read, and thought it would work, but your saying thats not right?

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 3:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Lucid1014, How old are you, btw? I ask because age is also a factor in how easy we can lose bodyfat. After 30's, you may want to consider some sort of supplementation IMO.
    When you say supplementation you mean supplements(pills) right, if so, what do you recommend?

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 3:20pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid1014
    As to the diet thing.. 1. I can't really cook, 2. I'm a college student, with a hectic job. 3. I'm kinda broke. Basically I found a site that told me how much calories i need to maintain weight on average, it was like 3500. So basically I cut out about 500 - 1000 calories a day, PLUS 4 nights of intense exercise. Plus I'm taking this supplement called Lean System 7...I read a review about it, which made it sound pretty legit, basically it just raises your resting metabolism, and i drink alot of green tea for the EGCG.

I'm not a nutrionist, so I basically just piled together abunch of things I heard or read, and thought it would work, but your saying thats not right?
    Kinda. Sorta. Maybe. Probably that's not right. Read my link again. For a bare minimum you should know how many calories and how much protein you eat. A food journal is just as important as a workout journal.

1 - You don't really need to cook. heating beans, nuking veggies, putting protien powder in oatmeal. This ain't iron chef.
    2 - If this is important to you, make time. Seriously. I'm in the same boat and it sucks but that what we gotta do.
    3 - eating clean CAN be cheap as hell. Oatmeal? cheap. canned beans are just as good as steak (for you, not taste wise) and like 2/$1. A gallon of milk is like $4. eggs are $2 a dozen. Frozen spinach and broccoli are $1 a box.

You can get a pair of 55lb dumbells for like $35 on sale. not as good as a 330lb olympic set and a bench but beats nothing. With those you can do squats, good mornings, presses, whatev. Building muscle is killer for losing weight. Also you should jog or otherwise do cardio in the AM pre-breakfast.

good luck dude.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast