Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 10:42pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How Do I Avoid Rib Injuries

I've had two rib injuries in four weeks.

The first was from a strong scissors applied while my partner was trying to twist me around in his guard. I can understand that. It hurt like heck and I tapped out.

The second is embarrassing. I came back from a bjj class on the weekend with a little soreness in myribs on the other side. No big deal. But we got a new sleeping bag, I was trying it on, and my 37 pound daughter took a flying leap and landed on the spot that felt a little sore. Now it felt more sore, but not nearly as bad as the right side originally felt.

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday I did body weight exercises with no impairment.

Then tonight at class I did some slugs across the mat, some shrimps, no problem BUT when I practiced some side falls, BAM, if felt like a knife in my side. I couldn't finish the class and had trouble getting in and out of my car.

So, what gives? Bad luck? Bad ribs? Need some type of exercises to strengthen my core?

How long should I allow to heal? I didn't have any down time from the first injury, but this injury on the other side feels much worse. I think I started with a little injury, worsened by my daughter's hijinx, with the hard mat fall the finishing touch. I don't feel like going to class this weekend. I tried to do slugs when I came home, and could barely get on and off the floor much less do slugs. (Pulling myself across the floor using my forearms).

I went in for x-rays on the first injury, and nothing visibly broken or fractured turned up. So I don't feel like going back again for the other side. I just need to know how athletes deal with this **** - avoiding it, strengthening my core, recovering if it happens anyway.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 8:07am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Need some type of exercises to strengthen my core?
    Squats. #1 good stuff.

as for healing, the only time i bruised my ribs it took near 2 months for me to feel right again. I kept doing most stuff though, just went easy.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 12:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Squats. #1 good stuff.

as for healing, the only time i bruised my ribs it took near 2 months for me to feel right again. I kept doing most stuff though, just went easy.
    Squats? Counterintuitive. You sure?

My friend at work told me to do four things:

1. When I do sit ups, do the "cross-ways" (twist to one side then the other while coming up) type.

2. Do side body lifts off the mat - have someone hold down my feet while I lie on my side, then scrunch up sideways (don't turn while coming up, concentrate on the muscles on the side of the body).

3. Get a heavy weight, at least 50 #, and do "side leans" - hold the weight on one side only, bend over sideways then come back up.

4. Do twisting movements, against resistance if you can figure out how to add resistance.

I see that you're a boxer. Don't you have similar injuries from punches to the side of your body? How do you cope?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 1:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 3:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by A.D.D
    Just what the doctor ordered. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

From the intro page:

Training the abdominal core properly takes a unique mixture of exercises and different training mediums. The scope of most training programs is far too close-minded. The complex cross-section of muscle type in the area is extraordinarily diverse. Therefore, maximal success is garnered with a wide selection of exercises. Within my plan of attack I utilize a vast array of movements and drills, some bodyweight-only and others weighted.When I look at most of the so-called "abdominal core" programs, one element that's glaringly avoided by most (yet is paramount to success) is the development of rotational strength.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 3:32pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Counter intuitive? naah... Your core holds you steady during the squat and most other big compund lifts. Plain old-school lifting really does wonders for most everything.

1. is gold, do that all teh time. for 4, you could get those elastic punching bands or do twists with a medicine ball.

never been hurt by hits to the ribs. Helps i have extra padding I guess. Dropped by a liver shot now and again sure but that's it. My rib injury was from lifting a rack-mount UPS akwardly at work. Watch, now I'll get a floating rib broken next time I spar...
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 1:01am

Style: wu tang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a similar problem from training bjj. My ribs took forever to heal. I was out for a week, came back, then I got thrown on my bad side, out for a month. I would take a chunk of time off and work cardio, come back when you are pain free. In my experience bruised ribs take a long time to heal.
    I don't think you can prevent rib injuries with lifting or core exercises. I was one of the stronger guys at my gym when I got hurt, didn't seem to prevent it. But it can't hurt to start lifting once you heal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 1:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by haji
    I had a similar problem from training bjj. My ribs took forever to heal. I was out for a week, came back, then I got thrown on my bad side, out for a month. I would take a chunk of time off and work cardio, come back when you are pain free. In my experience bruised ribs take a long time to heal.
    I don't think you can prevent rib injuries with lifting or core exercises. I was one of the stronger guys at my gym when I got hurt, didn't seem to prevent it. But it can't hurt to start lifting once you heal.
    What about since then? Maybe it's a beginner's thing, I hope. :icon_scra

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 2:04pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Squats. #1 good stuff.

What he said. It's good "old school" stuff. You can also try front squats, which are even better for the core and torso.

Koto got me into overhead squats and full contact twists. I still can't do the overhead squats with a barbell (I use dumbells), but it hits the core deep man, really deeeeep.

Another thing I do (and which I WILL NOT recommend if you have an injury) is overhead military presses with a load that doesn't allow more than 5 reps... and which you pick from the floor with a clean. Through trial and error, I found that if I can do 8+ reps of them, I'm hitting the shoulders. But if I can only do 4 or 5 after picking the loaded bar with a clean, it hits the core, your guts, and it virtually feels you are crushing your serratus anterior, the muscles going from your ribcage (front/under your armit to your shoulder blade) and your whole back, from neck to cervix.

Lying-on-the floor back bends, ab crunches, side ab crunches, one hand push ups, downward and upward facing dog yoga poses in conjunction with hip, abs, lower back and neck stretches, they all hit the core. Play with them on a daily basis - not all on the same day, but you get the idea. I'd say that's the safest way to start core training.

By themselves, they can give good results in a matter of weeks. Do them in combination with squats or front squats, and you'll have a nice, effective workout plan.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 10/04/2006 2:08pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 3:07pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    #1 it takes about 5-6 weeks to heal a real rib injury. During that time you CANNOT GO TO CLASS. You just sit there and watch TV or something. Everytime you go to class you reset the 5-6week timer. Got it? REST.

#2 To prevent rib injuries you should avoid positions where they can get hurt. Heavy guys with knee on belly, twisting movements with heavy weights w/ no warmup, etc.

#3 Torso strength is developed in a lot of ways with a lot of excersizes. Ab work is great. Twisting ab work is ever better. A solid sheet of muscle on top of those skinny rib bones is always a good thing. But even better than torso strength is torso flexibility - increased by progressive stretching...like Yoga. A combination of strength and flexibility will prevent most injuries almost everywhere on the body. Strange huh?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast