All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    10/14/2006 2:46pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itsmurda
    I go to the UTM Judo club as well, its alright but I honestly am not sure if this sorta judo training would be beneficial for real fighting, like honestly if you take boxing or kickboxing ..which i have...you would learn to become a better fighter faster. Maybe at a Judo club thats not in a university you would become amonster...but in this university..there is hardly any space or time (we have to share the same room with other clubs) to spread n become a real grappling monster. I am thinkin of doing shooto or BJJ....does any1 know how shooto compares to bjj? bless.
    Judo is built around learning to compete in judo and does, definately, build some gi reliance. The lack of any real striking curriculem and the focus on gi competition do make it a subpar method of training for MMA. Unfortunatly, the only "par" method of MMA training is to find an actual MMA school, one of the rare traditional schools that truly teaches a balanced approach, or train in more then one club or a club with more then one instructor. For many people, judo is the best (and often least expensive) option for submission wrestling instruction in their community.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 3:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I posted this on another thread on the UTM judo club. Thought I'd share it here:

This is a very old thread but I felt I had to share this experience with anyone considering this dojo to train in. While the instruction was ok and generally the teacher and seniors had a good attitude, I had an unforgivable experience there that showed a complete lack of professionalism.

I had the terrible experience of feeling like my neck was going to break when I rolled with the Sensei once. (My neck/head literally bent laterally at pretty much 90 degrees+). I was in such shock after getting up from it that I never did confront the Sensei about it. This experience will never leave me as I'm left wondering how someone with a black belt and an instructor could do something so irresponsible and careless unintentionally. This leaves me to conclude at the possibility that he intentionally did it. Don't ask me why but it is an experience that I won't forget. I'll also add that when I was away for a class there was another student who suffered from a compound fracture in his leg. Don't know how exactly it happened, apparently he fell wrong. In any case, it's worth mentioning - it's not a popular injury as I understand it and it happened in the same term as my close call. In conclusion, either the instructor at the UTM dojo has no clue how to practice let alone instruct judo and therefore no right to be teaching. The hard part is the instructor seemed like a nice guy. But being nice doesn't excuse you from almost breaking an orange belts neck.

I will also add that one of the seniors was incredibly rough with the students. He threw me once with a double arm shoulder throw (don't remember the name) and it felt like he was trying to dry me out like a wet towel. He literally threw me as physically hard as he could. This senior (a blue belt at the time) was buddys with the Sensei and appeared (not to generalize) to be a current biker (as in motorcycle shady biker) or was. This is a generalization but he certainly looked rough around the edges, if you know what I mean.

Think twice about this dojo, ask questions to the students, and ask the people at the front desk how many injuries have been recorded over the years at this dojo. Part of me feels like I should of sued this man.

Cheers,
    Train Hard,
    -humblePunch

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 3:53am

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by humblePunch View Post
    I posted this on another thread on the UTM judo club. Thought I'd share it here:

This is a very old thread but I felt I had to share this experience with anyone considering this dojo to train in. While the instruction was ok and generally the teacher and seniors had a good attitude, I had an unforgivable experience there that showed a complete lack of professionalism.

I had the terrible experience of feeling like my neck was going to break when I rolled with the Sensei once. (My neck/head literally bent laterally at pretty much 90 degrees+). I was in such shock after getting up from it that I never did confront the Sensei about it. This experience will never leave me as I'm left wondering how someone with a black belt and an instructor could do something so irresponsible and careless unintentionally. This leaves me to conclude at the possibility that he intentionally did it. Don't ask me why but it is an experience that I won't forget. I'll also add that when I was away for a class there was another student who suffered from a compound fracture in his leg. Don't know how exactly it happened, apparently he fell wrong. In any case, it's worth mentioning - it's not a popular injury as I understand it and it happened in the same term as my close call. In conclusion, either the instructor at the UTM dojo has no clue how to practice let alone instruct judo and therefore no right to be teaching. The hard part is the instructor seemed like a nice guy. But being nice doesn't excuse you from almost breaking an orange belts neck.

I will also add that one of the seniors was incredibly rough with the students. He threw me once with a double arm shoulder throw (don't remember the name) and it felt like he was trying to dry me out like a wet towel. He literally threw me as physically hard as he could. This senior (a blue belt at the time) was buddys with the Sensei and appeared (not to generalize) to be a current biker (as in motorcycle shady biker) or was. This is a generalization but he certainly looked rough around the edges, if you know what I mean.

Think twice about this dojo, ask questions to the students, and ask the people at the front desk how many injuries have been recorded over the years at this dojo. Part of me feels like I should of sued this man.

Cheers,
    Train Hard,
    -humblePunch
    wow...those guys clearly are a) not experienced enough or b) got serious ego problems.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 3:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had the terrible experience of feeling like my neck was going to break when I rolled with the Sensei once. (My neck/head literally bent laterally at pretty much 90 degrees+). I was in such shock after getting up from it that I never did confront the Sensei about it. This experience will never leave me as I'm left wondering how someone with a black belt and an instructor could do something so irresponsible and careless unintentionally.
    Were you actually injured? If you didn't have to seek medical attention then you did not 'almost break your neck'. Grappling sometimes involves being put in uncomfortable positions, if it felt so dangerous did you tap or cry out?
    I'll also add that when I was away for a class there was another student who suffered from a compound fracture in his leg. Don't know how exactly it happened, apparently he fell wrong. In any case, it's worth mentioning - it's not a popular injury as I understand it and it happened in the same term as my close call.
    Injuries happen, have you any particular reason to think this was a result of negligence on the instructors part?
    In conclusion, either the instructor at the UTM dojo has no clue how to practice let alone instruct judo and therefore no right to be teaching/
    The two things you have mentioned above in no way demonstrate that from the information you've given.

I will also add that one of the seniors was incredibly rough with the students. He threw me once with a double arm shoulder throw (don't remember the name) and it felt like he was trying to dry me out like a wet towel. He literally threw me as physically hard as he could.
    Again, were you actually injured? You understand Judo does involve being thrown...

This senior (a blue belt at the time) was buddys with the Sensei and appeared (not to generalize) to be a current biker (as in motorcycle shady biker) or was. This is a generalization but he certainly looked rough around the edges, if you know what I mean.
    He has a beard? Bad teeth? Turn up to class on a Harley with a Hells Angels cut on?

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 4:02am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally Posted by humblePunch
    This senior (a blue belt at the time) was buddys with the Sensei and appeared (not to generalize) to be a current biker (as in motorcycle shady biker) or was. This is a generalization but he certainly looked rough around the edges, if you know what I mean.

So are you an elitist? Do you feel like looking urbane is necessary for good martial arts instruction?

/monocle

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 4:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cheers,
    Train Hard,
    -humblePunch
    Everything you said could be heavily misconstrued and potentially very misleading about the practice at this club.

What is the name of the head instructor at this University club? That will allow us to check his credentials with the relevant national governing bodies. If he is registered and qualified then it may be you had an unfortunate experience or a distorting what happened through ignorance.

If he is not registered or qualified with the relevant governing bodies then there is a MABS worthy issue.

Edit:
    Jesus I've just read through this thread. How on earth is it in MABS its filled with mostly an idiot wrestler who's watched submissions on TV bitching about Judo, something he knows nothing about, and people chatting about introducing a dojo/gym review feature.

Here's a video of Judo practice at UofT Mississauga
    YouTube - Judo - Tomoe Nage on Promotions Night

I see a randori/ grading being well supervised. All spectators are seated with backs to the wall not lounging around on the mat. The contest is being observed by a couple of black belts and the throw applied is skillfull.

Second edit:
    University of Torono at Mississauga Judo club have a facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=71637165909&v=wall#!/group.php?gid=71637165909&v=wall

A discussion on that facebook page lists Ron Angus as the current instructor at the Judo club:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=71637165909&v=wall#!/topic.php?uid=71637165909&topic=13889

Ron Angus who teaches at a club called Full Cirlce Judo in Burlington, Ontario has an impressive international competitive record:
    http://www.judoinside.com/uk/?factfi...3/ronald_angus

Judo Canada lists Full Circle Judo club as a registered club and Ron Angus as the registered club owner.
    http://www.judoontario.ca/club_directory/club/144

So whatever may have been happening or happened at this university Judo club. It is pretty clear it now has some very competent instruction.
    Last edited by judoka_uk; 10/14/2010 4:33am at .

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 6:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you didn't have some major pain the next day in your neck (beyond the normal, quite painful in the beginning, soreness you'll get in Judo from keeping your posture up as you're being tugged down) he didn't almost break your neck. I got dropped straight down on top of m head by a messed up yoko wakari and wound up spraining my neck. I could barely move my neck at all a couple of hours later and was in a ton of pain...did you experience anything like that?

And he threw you "as hard as he could". How was the landing? I wonder if he actually buried you as hard as he could into the floor PR if he just snapped the throw to get you over, but then pulled up on your gi to cushion the landing for you. That's pretty common...

Maybe the guy is too rough with fresh beginners, but what you're complaining about, so far, sounds like it could easily be misinterpretation on your end.

P.S. Wow, the person who originally posted this thread is a major tool.
    Last edited by maofas; 10/14/2010 6:30am at .

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 6:35am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    seems pretty clear from reading the thread that:

1) this is a fine judo club to train at

2) the OP is a douchenozzle

3) humblepunch is a whiny little bitch
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 7:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, humblePunch - how much Judo experience did you have prior to the incident you described? How much Judo experience have you had since then?

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 8:37am

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Jesus I've just read through this thread. How on earth is it in MABS[…?]
    It’s four years old; I doubt it would make it into MABS nowadays. The moderators have become a lot stricter about MABS-worthiness.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast