Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 10:21pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, my point is more ...

If you're in a large university club, at the beginning of the semester, you get a lot of white belts. Some of them -- in fact, most of them -- are probably not as hard core as a wrestler. Since they are all new, and many of them are not accustomed to the various exertions, etc., of judo, instructors tend to be easy on them, at least until they learn to fall, so as not to break anyone.

But eventually most of them disappear and you're left with the motley collection of brown and black belts ... and the few who stay. Usually you're in pretty good company by then.

Of course, things could be totally different where you are. I'm just saying, the first few weeks of a semester is a bad way to judge a university judo club.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 11:33pm

Style: BJJ/ Judo/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by v1y
    Whoa, fuckface, calm down.

The dude tried to put a shoulder crank on me, what you'd call a keylock, and i seriously would never have tapped to that **** in a million years.

so i said, "k just put it on the other way" (in what you'd call a kimura), and i was trying to guide him, "k put your right hand on my wrist, and grab your right wrist with your left hand, nope go around my shoulder... there you go!". he locks his figure-4 grip in, and then doesn't even crank, just goes "i fail to see how this would work".

TRUST ME WHEN I SAY I COULD KILL ANYONE THERE MINUS 3-4 PEOPLE ON ATHLETICISM ALONE. (and i'm not super athletic either, i'm like 6'1 170lbs, that's a skinny ************).
    I agree you need to find another place to train. That said, why are you telling people how to do submissions that you have only watched on tv? You do that at my judo club you would most likely get kicked out. Sure you can muscle your way out of a lot of key locks and not tap to smaller less athletic people doing it to you, but it was a demonstration, not randori time. It's important for the other white belts to see what a key lock is, not how strong you are. It is like a 280 lbs power lifter going up to you and saying, "See you cant body slam me, this is the way you do it, I saw it on TV."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2006 8:05pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UPDATE!!!

Today was the... fourth class I believe, and the caliber of guys there has definitely improved.

Also, we're now doing enough free sparring and more importantly just general resistance work. But yeah, there are a couple of guys there now with close to my size/athleticism with 10x the technique as me right now, so they're providing VERY NICE CHALLENGES keeping this incredibly fun.

Definitely happy i stuck with it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 3:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tae kwon do, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I go to the UTM Judo club as well, its alright but I honestly am not sure if this sorta judo training would be beneficial for real fighting, like honestly if you take boxing or kickboxing ..which i have...you would learn to become a better fighter faster. Maybe at a Judo club thats not in a university you would become amonster...but in this university..there is hardly any space or time (we have to share the same room with other clubs) to spread n become a real grappling monster. I am thinkin of doing shooto or BJJ....does any1 know how shooto compares to bjj? bless.

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 4:36pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    v1y, post your updated version of this in our Dojo Reviews section. If you want, I'll move this thread there, but it'll be easier if you just do it yourself so you can add your own ratings on the club/school.

Here's a link to get you started:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/newt...newthread&f=86

Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 5:08pm

Style: Sub-wrestling, mostly...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm new to Toronto so I'm not sure of this yet, but if UofT is close to York University you guys should check out the martial arts there. They have a (new) Muay Thai program that's a hell of a work out, Sambo on tuesdays and a really solid submission wrestling class on thursdays. Next term the submission grappling teacher is going to begin teaching on both tuesday and thursday, and mixing it with MMA as well. I've also been told York University has a nice wrestling program.

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 5:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    York isn't close to anything. The place is so far from so many essential services that the campus has turned into some sort of flat arcology.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2006 11:08am

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itsmurda
    I go to the UTM Judo club as well, its alright but I honestly am not sure if this sorta judo training would be beneficial for real fighting, like honestly if you take boxing or kickboxing ..which i have...you would learn to become a better fighter faster. Maybe at a Judo club thats not in a university you would become amonster...but in this university..there is hardly any space or time (we have to share the same room with other clubs) to spread n become a real grappling monster. I am thinkin of doing shooto or BJJ....does any1 know how shooto compares to bjj? bless.
    you're there too? who are you lol? i'm the 6'1 guy who's a general dick to everyone there. (finally had a gi on in the last class).

(i would have pm'ed this, but you seem to have turned pm's off).

Bullshido Administrator

Posted On:
    10/14/2006 1:06pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Bullshido's Ninja

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Negation
    From your description, that club is a disgrace. Do they even compete?

Your style made me laugh for about a minute. Nice. Too bad that would be lost on most people here.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2006 2:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tae kwon do, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ahaha I am..that guy who is always talkn with you after class ahahahha, i usually come on here to read up on martial arts news u know, this would be my 2nd posting on here, so yea i'm a noobie..gotta get my PM'z all set up.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast