Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 10:41am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    You know, this would be perfect for our (coming soon) DojoReview system which should be ready in a week or so. Keep checking back in v1v and I'll move this thread there when it's ready and you can add ratings to it.
    I like the idea of a dojo review system. I don't know exactly what you have planned, but I think an Amozon-esque review system might be cool, possibly augmented with a 'template' of drop down boxes you could use to rate various categories (sparring, workout, etc.) and data that could be used to derive a "Bullshido Factor" (1-10 scale or somesuch).

The only problem I foresee are crappy reviews posted by many of the resident Bullshidiots mucking it all up. Then again, no system can be perfect. :)

-dagorilla

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 10:44am

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daGorilla
    The only problem I foresee are crappy reviews posted by many of the resident Bullshidiots mucking it all up. Then again, no system can be perfect. :)
    Which, incidentally, is also the way the Amazon system has turned out.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 10:48am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Supporting Members are already in the beta of this and can see what we're doing. It's essentially a super-enhanced forum/thread system in which you can rate, from 1-10, a school on the following categories:

Aliveness
    Equipment
    Gym Size
    Instructor/Student Ratio
    Atmosphere/Attitude
    Striking Instruction
    Grappling Instruction
    Weapons Instruction

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 10:55am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Supporting Members are already in the beta of this and can see what we're doing. It's essentially a super-enhanced forum/thread system in which you can rate, from 1-10, a school on the following categories:

Aliveness
    Equipment
    Gym Size
    Instructor/Student Ratio
    Atmosphere/Attitude
    Striking Instruction
    Grappling Instruction
    Weapons Instruction
    Don't forget to add Hot Babe ratio.

-daGorilla

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 11:41am

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daGorilla
    Don't forget to add Hot Babe ratio.

-daGorilla
    This would be an unfair advantage to the TKD schools! Everyone already knows where to look for the rotties!

TKD

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 12:18pm

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    This would be an unfair advantage to the TKD schools! Everyone already knows where to look for the rotties!

TKD
    In the capoeira schools?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 1:03pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's all about the Aikido chicks! Or ... cardio-kickboxing!

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 1:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFive
    It's all about the Aikido chicks! Or ... cardio-kickboxing!

Yeah, I think cap and yogo, acrobatics and flexability...oh hells yeah!

As for the Judo, I did the WWU Judo club this past Tuesday. The randori or newaza wasn't really long, although it's just the start of the year and it seemed to have lots of new students and white belts. We did both standup and ground grappling in the last 15 minutes. It wasn't enough so I went about 4+ rounds with a black belt there. Pretty good workout. I will tell you, I come from a Jiu-Jitsu background and the Judo guy I've worked with in Jiu-Jitsu is a black belt training for the Judo Pan-Ams so even though my takedowns aren't as good as the Judo people my defense and balence sure as hell is. Plus my ground game was a lot better compared.

For the thread starter, Judo puts priority on throwing techniques and pins primarily for the ground(or you can call it positional control if you like) and Jiu-Jitsu(depending on the type) focuses more on the ground work and less on throws and takedowns. Wrestling, as you are aware are throws, takedowns, control, pins. They all have strenghs in their respective area and they all are weak in some. Keep with it for a while just for the workout and spar with the guys who are good there and use the weaker guys as fodder to beat on. Use them to practice moves on. Sounds bad but it will actually make them better having you beating on them. Just don't do it too often too much, show them how they can avoid some of your attacks and defend. They will thank you. Take the strenghs of Judo and add it to the weaknesses in your wrestling and if you can, find a BJJ, sub-grappling school(or even another Judo place that does more ground techniques) to help in the areas that Judo and wrestling are weak in. By themselves, all three are great; put them together effectively, will turn you into a grappling monster!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 4:47pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomasd
    Yeah this definitely is a front page material.
    Whoa, fuckface, calm down.

The dude tried to put a shoulder crank on me, what you'd call a keylock, and i seriously would never have tapped to that **** in a million years.

so i said, "k just put it on the other way" (in what you'd call a kimura), and i was trying to guide him, "k put your right hand on my wrist, and grab your right wrist with your left hand, nope go around my shoulder... there you go!". he locks his figure-4 grip in, and then doesn't even crank, just goes "i fail to see how this would work".

TRUST ME WHEN I SAY I COULD KILL ANYONE THERE MINUS 3-4 PEOPLE ON ATHLETICISM ALONE. (and i'm not super athletic either, i'm like 6'1 170lbs, that's a skinny ************).
    Last edited by v1y; 9/28/2006 4:50pm at .

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 7:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The club sounds crap. It does not sound typical of a competitive Judo club. Maybe they just have a bad instructor. Stick with it for the meantime. Find another Judo club. Make sure they compete, make sure they do plenty of randori (sparring). Clubs that do that turn out good grapplers.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast